UniBall idea (anti-patent post)

John Eucist

Colin Heng mentioned "UniBall" as a joke regarding the design of a euc that looks almost ball-like. That got me thinking. Perhaps a Self-Balancing UniBall can be created so that you can ride and lean any direction and it goes that direction. Standing in place will be a easy too. I hope posting this idea here can prevent anyone from PATENTING and monopolizing this idea.

Wouldn't that be very similar to the Sony self balancing wheel that looks like a stool?

The one that uses a ring of side rollers instead of a tyre to handle the sideways movement.

I would think that Sony have put as much protection as is legally possible on it already.

I'm sure there is something like it may exist already. I kind of remember some university doing robotics research on inverted pendulum robot with a ball at the bottom, late in 80s. Ergonomics wise, I like the Electric wheel skinnier the better, like solowheel xtreme. What's more, someone developed a wheel that's self balancing "side ways"! I wish I had that youtube link here. 

Archived