Looking to buy my first EUC for joy rides.

Hey everyone! I am looking to buy my first EUC. I am a bit nervous. I would love an EUC with a longer range (70 mile and up) for joy rides in nature and on bike paths. I would treat it similar to a bicycle. I don't need it to go crazy fast. Just for fun long rides where I can enjoy my travels around. I'd also like it to be a reliable euc. I only want to crash from user error lol.

I am 5'10" and 140 LBs . Maybe 170 with backpack. Would love to hear your suggestions on which specific EUC to get.

• Like 3

70miles and up =Sherman or just as large. The big wheels also go 50mph, so its more like a motorcycle than a bicycle. The big wheels are also VERY heavy and can be a pain for technical trail riding. I think you may need to revisit your range requirements, as 70miles AND light enough to be easy on trails, is asking a bit much. If you could handle a shorter range, the 16X could make a decent option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

70miles and up =Sherman or just as large. The big wheels also go 50mph, so its more like a motorcycle than a bicycle. The big wheels are also VERY heavy and can be a pain for technical trail riding. I think you may need to revisit your range requirements, as 70miles AND light enough to be easy on trails, is asking a bit much. If you could handle a shorter range, the 16X could make a decent option.

Ya ok that makes sense. Is there a good option with at least 50 mile range?

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

He never mentioned trails, except bike path which is pavement and ultra-flat in Burlington VT. And in Vermont, "joy rides in nature" doesn't even necessarily mean dirt roads, since 95% of the state is out in the country.

7 minutes ago, Loighic said:

Ya ok that makes sense. Is there a good option with at least 50 mile range?

You're gonna want to be as specific as possible about your riding plans/locations. If range is really important than look towards the Sherman or Sherman Max.

If extreme off-road trail riding is most important, that's a different story.

Also, your budget is important to note.

I'm in northern N.E. too, and I finally chose the Begode Hero for its suspension and sky high water resistance, which will be much better for winter riding.

But I sacrificed range in a big way, and I also sacrificed light weight.  But for my riding style it's the perfect wheel for 90% of situations.

One alternate strategy you might look at would be just getting a max range wheel with a street tire for perfect long range summer cruising.

Almost impossible to find a perfect wheel for all situations.

But for winter Vermont riding, having suspension and good build quality/water resistance/off-road tire would probably be extremely useful. And in winter you don't need as much range because it's so damn cold you won't want to be out there more than 1-2-3 hours.

Edited by Esash

5 minutes ago, Esash said:

You're gonna want to be as specific as possible about your riding plans/locations. If range is really important than look towards the Sherman or Sherman Max.

If extreme off-road trail riding is most important, that's a different story.

Also, your budget is important to note.

You're right! riding in nature for me isn't necessarily on trails! Most of my riding would be on paved bike paths or side of streets. Although a trail here and there would be fun too! No real price limit. Thank you for helping me to give the right information. :)

5 minutes ago, Loighic said:

You're right! riding in nature for me isn't necessarily on trails! Most of my riding would be on paved bike paths or side of streets. Although a trail here and there would be fun too! No real price limit. Thank you for helping me to give the right information. :)

Well I'll make the Begode Hero one of my top suggestions. At 140 lbs you'll get 45-55 mile range on it, especially on the burlington bike path. It's ultimate luxury and build quality, but it weighs 80 lbs. At 140 lbs, that's possibly going to be non-ideal for you, and suspension might not be worth the heavier weight if you're going to be mostly on bike path and around burlington streets.

If I was living in Burlington, at 140 lbs, I'd want a kick ass street wheel that is fun to ride and not too heavy and bulky to bring into shops/restaurants, that could also handle the bike path/50 miles no problem.

So ironically, even though you don't have a tight budget, the ideal wheel for you might not be in the top price range.

The KS 18XL, KS 16X, the Tesla, or perhaps the ideal choice, the Begode Nikola AR+ from Alienrides.com

That one is an awesome street wheel, elite build quality/water resistance, and it has 2700WH battery, which will be as much as you'd likely ever want but something you'll enjoy having.

And the weight of the Nikola AR+ is also probably very manageable.

https://alienrides.com/collections/electric-unicycles/products/nikola-ar-plus-electric-unicycle

• Upvote 1

I'd go AR+ or 18XL, unless you want 'sporty handling'. Then I'd go 16X. Big heavy wheels are big and heavy, so unless speed is a big part of your joy ride, big and heavy is just sort an additional burden. So to speak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I'd go AR+ or 18XL, unless you want 'sporty handling'. Then I'd go 16X. Big heavy wheels are big and heavy, so unless speed is a big part of your joy ride, big and heavy is just sort an additional burden. So to speak.

although the AR+ does go 40+mph so it does cover the speed base too.

The 18XL and 16X both have superior handles to the Nikola, for walking around grocery stores and stuff. They're also smaller and lighter, which is always good, but at the expense of speed/range.

But the KS 18XL and 16X could be the ultimate college town wheel for OP's use case.

Edited by Esash
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Esash said:

although the AR+ does go 40+mph so it does cover the speed base too.

The 18XL and 16X both have superior handles to the Nikola, for walking around grocery stores and stuff. They're also smaller and lighter, which is always good, but at the expense of speed/range.

But the KS 18XL and 16X could be the ultimate college town wheel for OP's use case.

22 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

What is the difference between the 18xl and the 16x? Is it just the size?

I think it's just the tire size. They weigh about the same and have very similar battery setups. The 16" tire makes the 16X pretty feisty, turns on a dime etc., but it's also a bit squirrly. I pay 100% attention to the road ahead when on the 16X, 85% on my S18 and most of that is because little surprises in the road that matter to a 16" don't seem to bother an 18" anywhere near as much. The larger tire is better for lollygagging around listening to tunes or oogling nature.

But my 16X is still my go-to wheel... it's my learner and kind of a first love thing I think. If I'd started on an 18XL or an AR+, I'd probably choose them first too!

10 minutes ago, Loighic said:

What is the difference between the 18xl and the 16x? Is it just the size?

Yeah. 16x is a smaller wheel but it's a wider wheel so ends up feeling similar. Somebody else can chime in.  Both wheels have outstanding reliability records over several years.

EWheels.com is a great place to buy from if you're not buying the Nikola AR+ (linked above) or the Begode Hero. And at both Ewheels and Alien Rides, the tax is included in the price so that's cool.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-king-song-16x-1554wh-battery-2000w-motor-3-wide-tire/

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-king-song-18xl-1554wh-battery-2000w-motor/

Edited by Esash

I went with the rs19 high speed it is just a badass wheel it has tons of torque off the line it’s just a ripper .it’s also very nimble and a great carving and trail wheel .plus it has plenty of speed I’ve hit 45 mph and cruise at around 37 mph  ..I ordered mine from ewheels and they gave me the new begode  spiked pedals ,mudgaurd,power pads and wrist guards for free I have 450km on it in a week and a half .it’s a blast 

• Like 1

18L was my first wheel. My current goto is an 18XL. If 'nature' means paths, and bike paths are more like paved walkways, just about ANY wheel would do the job. For me, the 18xl is the best compromise. I also dont fancy riding more thne 30-50miles at a time. Nikola Ar is a decent wheel, tho I found it a tad chunky. I like to err on the side of refinement. I also am a stickler for the 18650 battery packs. ALL my wheels use the 18650's,

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Big difference between an 18XL and RS. These are two entirely different design philosophies...

@Loighic If you respond in any way that speed is a consideration, then all wheels are going to be back on the table. (Including > 60 lbs.)

Riders who've been at this a long time and can't get enough speed are going to make crazy wheel suggestions for a first EUC.

I suggest that you consider the RS and ask questions about it; but start to draw the line on weight. (Are you a ripped 140 lbs?)

2 hours ago, Loighic said:

I am 5'10" and 140 LBs . Maybe 170 with backpack.

If you are used to 30lb backpacks, then maybe a heavy wheel is okay; but just know that you will want to upgrade whatever wheel you buy first.

Edited by RayRay

28 minutes ago, RayRay said:

just know that you will want to upgrade whatever wheel you buy first.

and the second law of wheel ownership: you will end up with multiple wheels

'cuz this is best for that, and that is best for this, except when you want to do the-other-thing. and ohhhhhhhhhhhmyohmyohmy what's that shiny new render that just appeared on the inter webs?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

and the second law of wheel ownership: you will end up with multiple wheels

'cuz this is best for that, and that is best for this, except when you want to do the-other-thing. and ohhhhhhhhhhhmyohmyohmy what's that shiny new render that just appeared on the inter webs?

No doubt I ordered my first wheel a month ago today and had it a couple weeks or so and I been recklessly eyeballing that master preorder button 🤣🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

The need for speed be callin. BUY NOW! (just don't crash it. ever) :w00t2:

Hopefully technology advances rapidly over the next couple years and we have some insane new wheels .I’m already a registered organ donor so bring on the 75 mph wheels 🤘🏻🤣🤘🏻

The new Inmotion V12 High Torque may suit your needs if u can wait another month or so. It has good speed for a HT wheel and better weather protection than most. The 16x is a good wheel with decent range but kind of slow compared to newer wheels and gets even worse below 50% battery charge. Most all new riders claim speed isn’t important, but then…

• Like 1

I started on wheels weighting 30-40 lbs. and they weren't terribly fast. It took me a while to get used to wheels that weighed over 50 lbs., but at least 16X/18XL are still in the low 50's...

There were a few 60 - 65 lbs. wheels that set the bar for high performance. However, after the Sherman came out, weight became a non issue and the latest wheels are in the 70's - 80's...

The weight of wheels being suggested are starting to creep up. @LoighicIf you don't limit your requirements, eventually all recommendations will be the latest, fastest, & fattest wheels...

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

Depends on your current conditioning but on road, some leg burning in the beginning but that will subside as u condition to the ride. Off road can be a good workout depending on many reasons like EUC weight, terrain and duration but it’s nothing like mountain biking. I wouldn’t get one if you’re looking for conditioning, for that a bike is better. Get one because they’re fun as hell after the learning curve. Hope this helps a tad. Good luck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loighic said:

How much exercise do you get from riding an euc?

More than you get watching TV! So while it's not much, it's at least something.

Learning is a hard workout for about a week or so, then if you stick to the street the stress becomes less and less. Aerobically, it is maybe up to slow walking. There's isometrics in your quads and calves, but that's about it. Unless you ride fast—then you have a lot of muscles actively involved, but in a fairly narrow range of motion.

Off road, you'll be working your legs through a narrow region but working them hard. Core will get a whale of a workout if you're in a technical situation. Off road technical is 'quite' aerobic. Arms and shoulders—they wave around but are pushing air for the most part.

One thing is your back will get stronger, somewhat stronger if you're on pavement, quite a bit if you're off road. You *must* mind your posture while riding, which is a very good thing indeed.

And of course, if you're hauling your wheel up and down three flights of stairs, then heaving it into the bed of the lifted F350 crew cab, you accrue the benefit of a bit of weight training.

Perhaps a downside on the exercise front is that on a daily basis you won't carry as much weight around in your wallet. Multiple wheel disease is difficult to avoid.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Weight of Sherman (Max) is in the 80's... (similar to many new wheels)

20 hours ago, Tawpie said:

And of course, if you're hauling your wheel up and down three flights of stairs, then heaving it into the bed of the lifted F350 crew cab, you accrue the benefit of a bit of weight training.

Scroll down to The Rock... ;)

EUC's small size and portability used to be major selling points. (It's a different market now.)

These days, you must already be strong and healthy to ride one, because only a person in peak condition can lift; (or survive a crash at speed).

Edited by RayRay