V12 HT or HS (first wheel)

Hi, 

I placed a preorder for one of the new updated V12s from eWheels, but i'm having some difficulty choosing between which of the two versions to get.

For context, I am 5'7"  and 215 lbs with all my gear on (including photography equipment) so 205-215 depending on what i have on me.

I will be predominantly riding in the city with not many hills. This will be a commuter but, as my first EUC, it will also be used for joyriding. 

My city has a fair amount of bike lanes, for what its worth. 

I've heard mixed reports about how heavier riders fair with the OG V12(HS)'s torque but I'm hoping that my height will play a role in managing those issues.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

HT (this is my opinion). Unless you just know you will be a speed demon.

The HT seems generally more well received than the HS. And with a 16 inch wheel, I think torque just counts more. Same for commuting. Torque is fun and useful.

The HT also looks cooler with the orange rim;)

I personally ordered HT and considering your weight I'd recommend HT version to you as well. Reinforced rim and the new controller board with more beefy MOSFETs are good enough argument to do so. Even if you don't plan to climb and steep slopes, additional torque is extremely helpful if you hit the pothole at higher speed.

25 minutes ago, HEC said:

I personally ordered HT and considering your weight I'd recommend HT version to you as well. Reinforced rim and the new controller board with more beefy MOSFETs are good enough argument to do so. Even if you don't plan to climb and steep slopes, additional torque is extremely helpful if you hit the pothole at higher speed.

According to ewheeels, the New HS's will come with all the improvements that the HT will come with too (new mosfets, rim). How does torque add benefit when hitting a speed bump? Genuinely asking.

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flufflylumpkin said:

How does torque add benefit when hitting a speed bump?

A wheel going over a speed bump has a longer way to go than the rider - so it needs to accelerate. Torque is needed for acceleration.

A high torque version needs less current fir such accelerations - or vice versa can accelerate more with the same current.

Downfall of the HT version is that it overleans at lower speeds than the HS version...

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nostris said:

To be honest, I’m not sure trying to learn on a 30kg ( 66lbs) wheel is a great idea.. You would find it a lot easier to learn the basics on a smaller wheel..like a V8 f/s or a V10f   

And after he has learned to ride? Some people don't need those small wheels.. Why buy something that you will barely use, to simply learn? Sure it will take more time, but not much.

Also it seems he has already got V12. :D 

I would definitely recommend the HT model but it's even newer than the troubled HS so there is hardly any real world time on it (I don't know that it's 'better' or worse than the redesigned HS). Assuming IM will get any issues ironed out, I'd go HT because "speed" on a 16" wheel is sketchy due to the inherent nimbleness of the smallish wheel. I know for sure I wouldn't spend much time at or near max speed of either the HS or HT models just because it's kind of dicey... the road surface is your enemy.

You will be able to use the torque 'always'… be it off the line, up a hill, or over that seam in the pavement. And because heavier riders fundamentally need more torque to influence the direction of the payload, I believe you will be generally 'safer' with as much torque as you can get.

Edited by Tawpie

On 5/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, flufflylumpkin said:

Hi, 

I placed a preorder for one of the new updated V12s from eWheels, but i'm having some difficulty choosing between which of the two versions to get.

For context, I am 5'7"  and 215 lbs with all my gear on (including photography equipment) so 205-215 depending on what i have on me.

I will be predominantly riding in the city with not many hills. This will be a commuter but, as my first EUC, it will also be used for joyriding. 

I've heard mixed reports about how heavier riders fair with the OG V12(HS)'s torque but I'm hoping that my height will play a role in managing those issues.

Thanks.

I’m 5’9 and 215 pounds myself ..Don’t listen to them learn on whatever wheel you want ..I started on the 60 pound rs19 high speed as my first wheel took me about 10-15 minutes and I was riding it around the parking lot at the local metro park .the first day I put on 50km and now I’ve got 1000km on it in 5 weeks .I’m so glad I didn’t go with the v8f or even the 16x  cuz it would have bored the fuck outta me already .now I have a wheel with plenty of torque and super fast off the line that will do 45mph ..

On 5/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, flufflylumpkin said:

Hi, 

Thanks.

Don’t buy either inmotion v12 are giant lemons