Which the best tire pressure?

Luca Morello

That will depend on a lot of things including road condition, rider's weight, rolling resistance of the tire, temperature, etc. Inflating the tire to rock hardness is not likely to double your distance though. Just experiment with the tire pressure on your wheel and see what you like.

7 hours ago, Luca Morello said:

A test range as it can be ? 2- 3 bar ? I talk to use on bike path , without the risk of falling at the first step , because the wheel bounces

The tire should have a pressure range on it. Something in the 3-4 bar range (roughly 40-60 psi) seems to be what most people use, but again it will depend on the tire. You really need to try some pressures and see how you like them. Usually high pressure gives better range but a much rougher ride.

I am 105 kg. I have my tirepressure at 4.5 bar. I almost always ride on tarmac.

The higher the tire-pressure, the better you feel the road. 

For offroad a somewhat lower tirepressure is ok. I think 3 bar is ok for most weights and circumstances.

I know a semi professional uni cyclist (not electric). He told me to go 5 bar. So I tried 6 bar first (considering my weight). Never even occurred to me that the tire would burst (which it didn't). I went back to 4.5 bar, because that felt better for me. 

You should still be careful though, I guess.

My lhotz tire has '30-45 psi' written on it, which I assume are the recommended values. That obviously makes it a low pressure tire. Although I ride at just under 50, I highly doubt it would be a good idea to attempt 6 bar!

Tires dont burst just like that.  High speed+high weight+high stress(pushing to limit)=3 reasons for higher pressure. Above 4bar (60psi), it's rockhard, the rubber will absorp much less impact. The wheel (pedals,bearing, etc) and your knees will wear out a bit quicker, but it's much more fun. Life's too short for an EUC rider to worry about all that.:D

Mine arrived with the pressure at 1.5bar. This helped in learning to ride as the softer tyre seems to help in balancing initially. I then pumped it up to 3bar (not easy on the LHOTZ as its quite fiddly to get at the valve) and the wheel is much more responsive and agile, almost like riding a completely new machine.

I can't see a pressure rating on the tyre so i was a bit scared to pump it higher than 3bar.

I had to buy a valve extender to increase the pressure, the wheel really should be supplied with one - it wasn't until i read about them on here that i even knew such things existed. It was only £1 on eBay. Another big plus and thank you for this site and all the useful tips its members provide!!

• 1 month later...

i have been testing with my IPS Zero 340 between 3.5bar and 2.3bar i weight around 70kilo and i like it more when its 2.3 it gives a more softer ride also absorbs when i jump down from a side walk. And i can preload a little to jump onto steps or side walks. :) and still can ride around 25km on full battery with windy conditions.

• 2 months later...

I decided that I could give a definitive answer for the question: what is the best tire pressure. I did some research and found that it is not all that simple. However, I came up with a usable formula, (maybe better call it a rule of thumb).

The reason for this answer is that i saw the tire-pressure discussion arise again, this time for the King Song forum, but tire pressure is not specific to one model.

The best pressure for your tire handles unevenness of the road the best. That means: no touching the rim and not loosing contact with the road. This sounds easy, but speed, tire-dimensions, weight, and road conditions all play a part in what the pressure should be. You could even make a case for choosing your tire to fit your driving, but most of us will use the tire that comes with the wheel.

I will give a formula I derived. It is actually a double formula, because of the vast difference between offroad conditions and tarmac conditions. The pressure for offroading is lower because:
- you do not want to loose contact with road too easily
- you will generally not go as fast, and thus have less chance of road-rim-contact.
In the formula two variables are factored in:
1) Weight. This is the weight of wheel plus rider plus baggage.
2) Tire width (or tube diameter)
The answer you get, you can adjust with your usual road conditions.

As a rule of thumb use the next pressure (in bar) between: 

2.0 + Weight / (50 + 0.5*width)    - for flat tarmac conditions
1.5 + Weight/ (50 + 0.5*width)     - for offroad conditions

E.G. flat tarmac conditions
60kg person + 10kg wheel (girl on nb1 :) ): 2.0 + 70/75 = 2.9 bar (equals 43 psi)
110kg person + 20kg wheel (me on KS18 ): 2.0 + 130/81 = 3.6 bar (equals 52 psi)

E.G. offroad conditions
60kg person + 10kg wheel (girl on nb1 :) ): 1.5 + 70/75 = 2.4 bar (equals 35 psi)
110kg person + 20kg wheel (me on KS18 ): 1.5 + 130/81 = 3.1 bar (equals 45 psi)

You can go up a few tenths of a bar (say 5psi) for flat tarmac conditions, or down a few tenth (again, say 5psi) for offroad conditions.

The faster you go on tarmac, the less adjustment to the pressure is needed. 

DISCLAIMER:
I did my own research and came accross several sources for bicycles, unicycles (not the electric variation). I added my own experience. These are in no way official figures. I factored in the most important variables, and i think that everyone can use this formula and find a reasonable good tire-pressure for his or her situation. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, Jurgen said:

Lhotz and T680+ at 4bar

I use 50 psi (3.4 bar) for my Lhotz and IPS121

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, dmethvin said:

The tire should have a pressure range on it

I have 2 16-inch tires. One says 36 psi on the sidewall; the other says 44 psi. Both work great at 50 psi. This provides noticeably less cushioning, but the wheel performs much livelier.

Archived