3D Printed 30km/h Electric Unicycle EUC

Mystamo

Hey Guys,

Thought I would share.

3D printed a body for my Fasion Micro Works Motor and Controller.

I had to print the parts in smaller segments and hold things together with nuts and bolts but so far it's been working great. I took a couple of spills as well and it didn't do too badly.

I've recently changed my design a little bit and am in the process of reprinting. Hopefully soon I'll have the new one together.

My newer version is a bit easier to put together and is a little less wide for more comfort when I ride.

Hope you all like. I can share the STL files if anyone whats to have a go. You just need to make sure you print everything with the Z axis as the direction of least force. So most every part on it's side.

I was also running out of filament so the prototype ended up looking like a Jamaican Flag.

Regards,

Mo

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

More Pics..

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

Full size image shows the text from the sides of the batteries:

"301402 14.8V 3000mAh 44.4Wh"

So I'm guessing those are RC-lipos with four pouch-cells in each pack? Four of 14.8V -packs in series comes to 59.2V, so same voltage as typical 16S * 3.7V. But the total capacity is then only 44.4Wh, so not that much. Scratch that, it's of course 178Wh as Tomek points out below. :rolleyes:

How does it ride?

11 minutes ago, esaj said:

So I'm guessing those are RC-lipos with four pouch-cells in each pack? Four of 14.8V -packs in series comes to 59.2V, so same voltage as typical 16S * 3.7V. But the total capacity is then only 44.4Wh, so not that much.

How does it ride?

@esaj, wouldn't the total capacity be 3000mAh*59.2V=178Wh .')

(the more volts you give the more watts you get, lol)

5 hours ago, Tomek said:

awesome! did you use pla or abs?

and how are the microworks parts performing?

PS

...and what batteries are those?

@Tomek Hey thanks, I used PLA, I can use ABS too and it would most likely be favorable as it's a little more durable and flexible when it comes to impacts. But, ABS tends to shrink too much and lead to warped parts when printing big things. I would need a heated chamber for my printer to print them well.

The FMW parts are working great. I've done some extensive reverse engineering on the controller and it's pretty straight forward. Very similar to the Gotway. As for the motor, i've used these hub motors on ebikes a long time. They are reliable and can take a lot of abuse. On EUC's the worse that can happen is a magnet gets dislodged or a bearing goes. I doubt these motors heat up enough with our usage to take out a Hall or coil.

HK batteries 4s 3000mah 25C.

I just wired them up with Andersons and hook them up in series. I use a modified meanwell supply and charge it at 65.6v letting each cell reach 4.1v before the supply cuts off. I cycle the batteries between 3.4v and 4.1v and every so often I use a battery medic to balance all the cells to a certain voltage and keep bulk charging.

4 hours ago, Oily said:

Thats awesome ! :D

What batteries are you running and how is the balance with all the weight on 1 side ?

@Oily Thanks, the unicycle runs great. I'll post a video. You don't notice the batteries to one side.

2 hours ago, esaj said:

So I'm guessing those are RC-lipos with four pouch-cells in each pack? Four of 14.8V -packs in series comes to 59.2V, so same voltage as typical 16S * 3.7V. But the total capacity is then only 44.4Wh, so not that much. Scratch that, it's of course 178Wh as Tomek points out below. :rolleyes:

How does it ride?

@esaj I was going to mention the Wh calculation but Tomek beat me to it ;) Its not a bad capacity. I haven't tested range yet.

1 hour ago, Óscar Ramos Melero said:

AWESOME WORK!!! can u send me the files or upload to Thingiverse?? Im looking for add a second battery but i havnt enought space!! Thank u

@Óscar Ramos Melero Thanks, I'll try and post the STL files as soon as I'm done the new design. It's worth the wait. Goes together better. But I might just post the files here. I don't really post on thingiverse. I just download.

I'll post a video on youtube today. It was a quick one I took it's quite terrible. But you'll get the idea.

Regards,

Mo

5 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@Mystamo, with our OpenSource firmware, you will be able to place the board in any position and so you will be able to optimize your build, like placing batteries on both side and the board on top.

The microworks board should have a way for enabling horizontal placement (bit cryptic on the website, done either via one of the pins or the app). that said, there are many other reasons why it would be great to see OpenSource firmware running on these boards, being able to customise the entire riding experience

2 hours ago, Tomek said:

ah, I actually meant to ask this to @Mystamo about the Microworks board .')

Well, I think I know. Microworks boards have "regular" firmware. There is no option to configure anything. That's way @Mystamo placed the board that way as all the generic EUCs does.

16 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Well, I think I know. Microworks boards have "regular" firmware. There is no option to configure anything. That's way @Mystamo placed the board that way as all the generic EUCs does.

well, you'd think, but since they are basically gotway boards (they also sell assembled gotways), and gotway mounts their boards horizontally.... from the instructions you'd think there is a way to configure these boards for horizontal use.

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 00.38.32.png

PS but this manual comes from a non-bluetooth version, the instructions on the page of the one with bluetooth that @Mystamo uses say that you do "horizontal validation" through the (android) app (which they say they'll send you upon purchase ), so I wonder if it works...

On 2/18/2016 at 5:48 AM, Tomek said:

@Mystamo what cad/modelling software did you use? can you also upload source files?

ps

I suspected PLA, ABS is damn hard at this scale...

@Tomek I used an evaluation version of Solidworks. I'm not a CAD expert by any means but I can proto some nifty things when the call is made.

ABS is hard to work with Bleh.. I might consider doing a carbon wrap on this PLA

On 2/19/2016 at 1:20 PM, MetricUSA said:

You might have to use a file on corners... 90° corners??? Ouch, why did you not and radius? Don't cut your self...

@MetricUSA Hey thanks for the post. Metric and USA don't mix. A bit of an oxymoron. As for cutting myself. The edges are a bit sharp for my liking. It's no knifes edge tho. I was indenting on putting some foam around that area but I'm starting to think now that I might do another redesign. I learn a bit each time about what I would like to do next to make it better. Never been much of a plan before you engineer type of engineer.

I was working on this new model this weekend. I know some people were asking for the CAD files and STL's I'll put those up as soon as I figure out my final design. Stay tuned.

So far tho. My ver 2 feels a lot better and went together a lot easier as well.

Hope you all enjoy.

P.S I didn't try and calibrate the board horizontal. I have plenty of space on both sides if I wanted to add more batts. I might consider a horizontal design in the future.

Mo

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Archived