Ninebot One E+ - 3 Beeps of Death?

Evils

So, my understanding of how the Ninebot works was that once you hit near top speed, it would start beeping twice and then lean you back so you slow down.

Now for both me and a friend of mine (individual Ninebots) it happened now that the Ninebot beeped three times and instead of leaning back just went all the way up front. I think I don't have to tell you what the result was...
Anyway, it happened in different situation and somehow not out of logic context in my opinion.

Did this happen to anyone before?
Firmware is 1.3.5

35 minutes ago, Evils said:

So, my understanding of how the Ninebot works was that once you hit near top speed, it would start beeping twice and then lean you back so you slow down.

My 9b never beeps before starting the top speed tiltback. No matter which firmware i had - actually its 1.3.5.

Beeping is just a signal for weak battery, overheating and maybe to much battery drain, etc.

35 minutes ago, Evils said:

Now for both me and a friend of mine (individual Ninebots) it happened now that the Ninebot beeped three times and instead of leaning back just went all the way up front. I think I don't have to tell you what the result was...

Imho the 9bot had not enough power to start a tiltback - thats what he wanted to tell you with the beeps...

To my knowledge, the Ninebot does not have an awareness of forward and backwards.  It only knows how to keep balance, how to monitor current and how to monitor speed.  

On my Ninebots, I get the tiltback before I get beeps.  In fact, I rarely get beeps because of this unless I am pushing it way too hard.  If the Ninebot shut off suddenly while pushing it hard, you may have hit the limit of the Battery Management System (BMS) on the battery pack itself.  It has its own overcurrent limit and will clamp the current if it is reached resulting in the Ninebot not being able to keep the rider upright.

3 minutes ago, Cranium said:

To my knowledge, the Ninebot does not have an awareness of forward and backwards.  It only knows how to keep balance, how to monitor current and how to monitor speed.  

On my Ninebots, I get the tiltback before I get beeps.  In fact, I rarely get beeps because of this unless I am pushing it way too hard.  If the Ninebot shut off suddenly while pushing it hard, you may have hit the limit of the Battery Management System (BMS) on the battery pack itself.  It has its own overcurrent limit and will clamp the current if it is reached resulting in the Ninebot not being able to keep the rider upright.

Cranium, when you say ninebot is not aware if you are going forwards or backwards, what do you mean? You meant to say it doesnt matter to ninebot which way you are going? My question is, if you are going backward which way will the til be on high speed? Will it reverse the direction of tilt so that when you are going bckward, you will still perceive this as a tilt back?

At least my X3-clone works no matter which way you ride it (the tilt-back will always be "backwards" in relation to your movement direction). Never tried the "wrong way around" with Firewheel, and it doesn't have speed-based tilt-back anyway.

33 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Were you riding backwards by any chance? 

Even though, logically tiltback should also be reversed in this case, but not sure how ninebot handles it

I was riding in the ride direction, there's no way I was riding backwards.

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

My 9b never beeps before starting the top speed tiltback. No matter which firmware i had - actually its 1.3.5.

Beeping is just a signal for weak battery, overheating and maybe to much battery drain, etc.

Imho the 9bot had not enough power to start a tiltback - thats what he wanted to tell you with the beeps...

You are right, sometimes I get the tiltback without beeps, sometimes with the beeps and then it gives me the tilback.

The battery was at around 75% when that happened. I don't know why how the battery could have been too low. 

Also, the Ninebot didn't shut off. It was just laying there, waiting for me to pick it up again.

Just now, Cloud said:

Cranium, when you say ninebot is not aware if you are going forwards or backwards, what do you mean? You meant to say it doesnt matter to ninebot which way you are going? My question is, if you are going backward which way will the til be on high speed? Will it reverse the direction of tilt so that when you are going bckward, you will still perceive this as a tilt back?

Yes, it does not care which way you are going.  It does not identify a direction as being "forwards" or "backwards" per se.  It does know which direction the wheel is turning and can tilt back in the opposite direction though.  

I've ridden my Ninebot with the handle facing forwards and backwards with no noticeable difference in handling or any limitations.  I prefer to ride with it facing backwards only because if there is a fall, the handle will be less likely to receive an impact that would break it (I've had this happen too).  

12 minutes ago, Cranium said:

On my Ninebots, I get the tiltback before I get beeps.  In fact, I rarely get beeps because of this unless I am pushing it way too hard.

Same for me.  Rarely hear a beep, and it makes my skin crawl when I do.  But I've already felt the tilt back before the beep.

1 minute ago, Chriull said:

Seems like a classic overlean - the wheel could not balance you any more. Not enough power available. For a tiltback the wheel would have needed even more power

And how to avoid this? 

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Buy a atronger wheel (especially higher capacity battery pack) or change your riding style (less forward lean)

Agreed. Don't ride against the tilt back.  I figure when I'm there, I'm pushing my luck and I'm just fortunate to not have gone down.  I do hit it pretty often, but I come right back down when I notice it.  The smallest deviance in the terrain while there (Bump, Hill, Rock, Crack, Foot Twitch, etc), and it can cut off.  I really do NOT want to experience that.

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Same for me.  Rarely hear a beep, and it makes my skin crawl when I do.  But I've already felt the tilt back before the beep.

Riding with a 12km/h speed limit enabled, My ninebot beeps during every tiltback.

36 minutes ago, musk said:

Riding with a 12km/h speed limit enabled, My ninebot beeps during every tiltback.

Yeah, I don't use the Speed Limiter.  I do notice the tilt back is VERY Strong when using the Limiter.

3 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Yeah, I don't use the Speed Limiter.  I do notice the tilt back is VERY Strong when using the Limiter.

How to disable the Speed Limiter? Mine is currently set to 10km/h. 

Is that maybe why my Ninebot beeps so often?

15 hours ago, Cranium said:

I've ridden my Ninebot with the handle facing forwards and backwards with no noticeable difference in handling or any limitations. 

Mine it is very different. 

Firmware v1.2.2. If you ride it reversed, then it leans you slighty forward (the euc is going backward and it leans backward) even in ride mode 0.

18 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

you should update to 1.3.5.

It's a solid release and miles better that 1.2.2

I am on fw. 1.2.3 and not sure I would go with 1.3.5 due to some of the ninebots appears to get an annoying electronical high-pitched sound... If  only there would be a possibility to go back to previoius firmwares..

Archived