Monster Pro Pedal Play?

Hey all! 

So i just got the monster pro, coming off a V3, and I'm really enjoying this wheel, but I'm having a few issues. Outside of that tire that bounces like a basketball, i was wondering about the new stabilization. On the V3, the pedal dynamics were predictable, especially in soft mode, but on the Pro, its throwing me off. I noticed that in medium or hard, if i hit a bunch of bumps while sitting, it would start to kinda oscillate as it was accelerating, the wheels tilt back a little, then levelling out, then tilting back again, etc etc. And at higher speeds it does this very quickly which makes me nervous in high speed seated riding. 

When in soft mode, i found that the pedals also tilt back and put me on my heels on certain bumps. It almost feels like the opposite of what used to happen, where the pedals would slowly tilt forward over successive bumps. Both are annoying. The only issue is that i cant figure out the pattern. If i hit a bigger bump, the pedals basically stay the same.  But if i hit a bunch of all bumps/road imperfections, it puts me on my heels. Ive listened for beeps or temp issues but it seems to be fine. It seems like its just doing different things to stay balanced and I'm not used to it yet, so i cant ride comfortably.

May I ask your experience with the wheel, in different modes too?

Thanks. 

I don't have any experience with the Monster Pro specifically, but I can confirm that the same strange behavior you mentioned here is also present in the black control boards for the Monster V3. I swapped mine out late last year and immediately noticed the strange, muted oscillations that you mentioned and it similarly threw me off. I now find myself riding almost exclusively in soft mode just to avoid the issue. 

My guess would be that it's simply a wide-reaching side effect of whatever changes/adjustments Gotway/Begode has made to their firmware over the last year or so... not much to be done about it unless they push a firmware update for (I assume) all of their wheel models...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arbolest said:

I don't have any experience with the Monster Pro specifically, but I can confirm that the same strange behavior you mentioned here is also present in the black control boards for the Monster V3. I swapped mine out late last year and immediately noticed the strange, muted oscillations that you mentioned and it similarly threw me off. I now find myself riding almost exclusively in soft mode just to avoid the issue. 

My guess would be that it's simply a wide-reaching side effect of whatever changes/adjustments Gotway/Begode has made to their firmware over the last year or so... not much to be done about it unless they push a firmware update for (I assume) all of their wheel models...

Ohhh, thats curious. Well that gives me more confidence. Its such weird behaviour, it makes me worried im pushing through warnings or saftey features, you know? Im riding soft as well, but its not like the oldschool V3 softmode. Its almost artificial. It does too much. I'm gonna just have to get used to the feeling of the pedals kicking back i suppose.

11 hours ago, Arbolest said:

the black board for monster v3 solve the dip on bumps right ? can you confirm ?

16 hours ago, seage said:

Ohhh, thats curious. Well that gives me more confidence. Its such weird behaviour, it makes me worried im pushing through warnings or saftey features, you know? Im riding soft as well, but its not like the oldschool V3 softmode. Its almost artificial. It does too much. I'm gonna just have to get used to the feeling of the pedals kicking back i suppose.

Yes, I do know :lol:    The first time it happened I thought that I was about to get dumped (pucker-factor shot up to 11), but it mellowed out almost immediately and just kept on rolling. And I definitely know what you mean with the artificial feeling of the soft mode. the way it sort of shifts its weight when tilting feels almost.... linear, instead of the more natural swaying motion it had before. It feels robotic to me instead of natural. 

11 hours ago, EMA said:

the black board for monster v3 solve the dip on bumps right ? can you confirm ?

Hmmm, I would not say it's solved. It may have been lessened, but the big issue is that when you ride across multiple small bumps now (like a washboard dirt road), the heavy dipping behavior is kind of overshadowed by the strange oscillations that @seage mentioned. It's just something else to get used to.

If I'm honest, it really just feels to me like the PID algorithm parameters that Gotway/Begode used were not tuned for the larger wheels. These oscillations are the same kind of effect I used to see back when I was experimenting with self-balancing in my robotics classes. If I changed something significant about the hardware without also tuning the software accordingly then I would get all sorts of instabilities that would show up under strange and/or specific circumstances. Just my opinion.

Edited by Arbolest
  • Thanks 2