Cost of electricity for running eucs?

Hellkitten

I’ve done some scouring of the forums here and from what I could find it looks like about a penny a km or 2.5 cents a mile. Obviously that’s an estimate based on riding style, hills, temperature that kind of thing, but does that sound appropriately right? 

I actually did some measurements at the weekend and my V8 seems to be around half a penny per mile (Uk sterling and our electricity rate is currently around 22-25p per kWh).  This was based upon a 17 mile ride and then charging back up to the same level after the ride and monitoring the amount used.  It wasn't totally scientific as I was just messing around with it, but I will do more testing in the future to find out a more accurate figure.

• Like 1

Riding around hard on my S18 in traffic + hills (50% higher energy consumption than other S18 riders per euc.world) I get 23.8 Wh/km.

That's something like 1/4 of 1 US cent per km.

• Like 1

I toodle around at an average 13 Wh/km generally speaking, as high as 0.028 kWh/km if I'm pushing things but the average is 13. Our power (heavily hydro and wind, so fairly inexpensive) is 0.10USD/kWh. That arithmetic works out to… essentially free.

EUCWorld's math says today's just over 80 km there-and-back commute required an average of roughly 16 Wh/km (I was going faster than typical).

.016 kWh/km * .10 USD per kWh  = (shifting decimal places to get cents) 0.16 cents/km ($0.004 dollars per mile). The commute cost 12.8 cents.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I toodle around at an average 13 Wh/km generally speaking, as high as 0.028 kWh/km if I'm pushing things but the average is 13. Our power (heavily hydro and wind, so fairly inexpensive) is 0.10USD/kWh. That arithmetic works out to… essentially free.

EUCWorld's math says today's just over 80 km there-and-back commute required an average of roughly 16 Wh/km (I was going faster than typical).

.016 kWh/km * .10 USD per kWh  = (shifting decimal places to get cents) 0.16 cents/km ($0.004 dollars per mile). The commute cost 12.8 cents.

Buying and maintaining an EUC on a cost per mile isn't that much less than a car (say you buy a $2000 wheel and put 2000 miles on it...that's a dollar per mile), and most riders seem to get several EUCs. However, it may be because car ownership is grossly undervalued to the owner and to society.

Purely electricity for my 2700wh Nikola would be about $0.27 to charge dead to full (including charger losses), and I estimate I can go 50-60 miles so thats about 1/2 a penny per mile. That said, I'm allowed to charge at work also so that goes down a bit. I've put nearly 400 miles on it so far without any problems, tire still looks good and charges to full voltage. 

• Like 2

My 18xl from 50% to 100% cost around ~0.25 euro. My electricity bill is around 0.18 per kWh.

The "0.25" price was taken from wall WATT meter. That's how much i used while charging +balancing.

For ~0.25 euro i can ride ~50km range.

Here in BC (Canada) I pay about CDN$0.14/KWh on our second tier (the more expensive tier). I'Il generally get about 130km on a charge (Sherman) and it takes 2500Wh to charge fully, so that's a little better than 20Wh/km. 20 Wh/km is .02KWh/km, mulitply that by $0.14/KWh and the cost is $0.0028/km (or 0.28 cents/km, roughly 0.33 US cents/mile). Putting it another way, about 4km per CDN penny, or 3 miles per US penny.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

Here in BC (Canada) I pay about CDN$0.14/KWh on our second tier (the more expensive tier). I'Il generally get about 130km on a charge (Sherman) and it takes 2500Wh to charge fully, so that's a little better than 20Wh/km. 20 Wh/km is .02KWh/km, mulitply that by $0.14/KWh and the cost is $0.0028/km (or 0.28 cents/km, roughly 0.33 US cents/mile). Putting it another way, about 4km per CDN penny, or 3 miles per US penny.

Holy moly, 20wh/km? I'm getting about 34wh/km or 56wh/mile on my nikola+ ar, what's your average speed? 

On 5/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, FlyingWigs said:

Holy moly, 20wh/km? I'm getting about 34wh/km or 56wh/mile on my nikola+ ar, what's your average speed? 

Probably less than yours lol! On a long ride I generally cruise around at about 35-40km/h (22-25mph). I'll ride faster on short rides but I like to do full-day rides up to about 160km (100 miles +/-) so I need to conserve battery a bit on those days. I'm also a bit of a lightweight; around 150lbs fully geared up.

• Like 1

The most accurate way to tell how much electricity it takes to recharge your wheel is by buying one of these wattage meters[1] and configure the price per kWh that you pay to your electricity company. Then discharge the wheel as much as possible. Then plug everything together and wait for the results :)

I did it and it costs me about 48¢ to fully charge my MSX 84V and I can get about 50Km of range on a good day with moderate riding.

[1]: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPJ3RGB

• Like 1