Video on 80% charging, "Good or Bad?"

mrelwood

Off topic: One of the surprises for me in this thread is how you mentioned a single cell does benefit from the 80% charge cycle, I think you mentioned that cell phones can benefit from this because they run on a single cell. 

So that got me wondering, what voltage does a cell phone run? Aren't electronics generally geared for 12v? Not phones! A phone does all that computation on a single cell with 3.7 or 3.8 nominal voltage!  Remarkable :efee78d764:

40 minutes ago, Richardo said:

So that got me wondering, what voltage does a cell phone run? Aren't electronics generally geared for 12v? Not phones! A phone does all that computation on a single cell with 3.7 or 3.8 nominal voltage!  Remarkable :efee78d764:

The only 'general' thing I can think of that runs 12v is cars.

Don't forget that semi-conductors are designed to run very low voltage, even PC CPU's are often specced at 3.3v despite the system being powered by 240v mains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, div said:

Speaking of which; 3.8V (nominal) smart phones batteries: 

iphone-batteries.jpg

I hate the word “nominal”, because it doesn’t say very much. Especially on li-ion batteries, where the maximum voltage is extremely important and precise, while the minimum can be loosely chosen between 2.5-3.5V for the specific application.

Gotway (and it’s descendants AFAIK) uses an average voltage range of 3.3 - 4.2V per cell. KS 18XL uses 3.0 - 4.2V. Are their nominal voltages then 3.75V and 3.6V per cell? MSX 84V has a nominal voltage of 75V, and the 18XL has 72V? Argh!

Speaking of “nominal”, not many things irk me as much as “nominal power”. Be it on an EUC or any device that produces audible sound. Especially when people who are not into these things compare products based on different “nominal power” values. There’s nothing wrong in not knowing, which is why there is definitely a lot wrong in purposefully creating faulty assumptions to those who don’t.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

The charger can't apply the full 100V to the battery because the voltage sags and that is not due to any electronics doing CC, but because of the difference in voltages.

Interesting thought.

The voltage sags by some miracle. So the current stays within limits, but the charger is not involved in this... ;)

35 minutes ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

Eucs(or atleast Gotway) have NONE of these sensors and logic built in to either the bms or the chargers.

They have. Typically current sensing is performed via some (low value) resistor, called shunt. The voltage drop over such an resistor us used in the feedback loop of the switched mode power supply to reduce the output voltage and keep the current at some constant limit.

Letting the "voltage sag" from 100.8V to around 80V (empty battery) at some low charging current of about 2A would need something consuming a power of 20V*2A=40W - a very nice heater. This can never happen within the small plastic chargers we use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

If they have that current sensing capability, why isn't it used to shut down the charging procedure at the peak voltage when the current comes down to the range of 0.01-0.03C?

Some of them do, mostly (only?) third party chargers.
The cutoff current has to be right though, if too early it will shorten the balancing phase.

Here is my (third party) Sherman charger, cutting current after having tapered down to 0.4A or so. EUC shut down by itself, as it should.

(edit, BTW here is RagingGrandpa mentioning the chargers that never stop)

IMG_0851.jpg.bbe2457c515273079eb44f4e9ada55dd.jpg

Edited by div
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

Well, I believe that is what is happening as the chargers are really dumb.

If they have that current sensing capability, why isn't it used to shut down the charging procedure at the peak voltage when the current comes down to the range of 0.01-0.03C?

No idea. Especually as they already have this functionality implemented - they have the led changing from red to green once the current drops below some threshold.

Some chargers have only adjustment potentiometers for voltage and current, but some/many also for this threshold:

Have you felt a gotway charger during charging? They get very warm even with the fans blowing full tilt.

All/most chargers get very hot. Even if they have some great efficiency of some 95% they'll burn 5%. For a 250W charger that's still 12,5W transformed into heat. That's already about a (very) small soldering iron..

This why "stronger" chargers are in aluminium cases acting as heatsink instead of plastic cases.

58 minutes ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

Maybe I shouldn' have said EUCs, only gotway, as I would find it reasonable that IM and KS would include the basic lithium charging methods in full. I've got experience with only GW, which is know for their ridiculously simple bms and electrical "engineering". 

Gw, IM, ninebot KS use the same chargers.

Shermans had imho the sane, too - as @divwrote they seemed to have changed? Could be that the cutting off is performed on the mainboard - the Sherman has an unique bms/motherboard design.. afaik the motherboard measures charging current and battery voltage.

Ks and gw have very similar bms. KS just always had overcurrent/short circuit protection in the bms. Gw just with the newest models? And maybe with the old ones?

About IM bms was afair not too much written and ninebot have a bit smarter bms. With cell voltage reporting and joule counting. Afair the im v12 has cell voltage reporting, too? (Edit: mixed this up with pwm duty cycle reporting...)

Edited by Chriull

4 hours ago, div said:

Some of them do, mostly (only?) third party chargers.
The cutoff current has to be right though, if too early it will shorten the balancing phase.

Here is my (third party) Sherman charger, cutting current after having tapered down to 0.4A or so. EUC shut down by itself, as it should.

(edit, BTW here is RagingGrandpa mentioning the chargers that never stop)

Its got nothing to do with the 3rd party charger, and everything to do with the Sherman, which will turn itself off and block input current whatever charger you use (as long as it hits peak voltage).

9 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Its got nothing to do with the 3rd party charger, and everything to do with the Sherman, which will turn itself off and block input current whatever charger you use (as long as it hits peak voltage).

No, with the stock charger it never turns off. It powers off only when there is no current.

Even if it did it doesn’t invalidate that some third party chargers do have a cutoff at a certain threshold. And not most or all stock chargers.

I shared the picture of the Sherman to illustrate that the C1200 charger do have a cutoff threshold.

Edited by div

5 minutes ago, div said:

No, with the stock charger it never turns off. It powers off only when there is no current.

Thats weird, mine did. The same as it does with my 'cheapo' aftermarket YZ 6A charger, whether I have it set to output 3A or 6A.

Maybe not all stock chargers are outputting quite enough peak voltage to hit the mobo cut-off point?

19 minutes ago, div said:

I shared the picture of the Sherman to illustrate that the C1200 charger do have a cutoff threshold.

Just to make sure we are not talking cross purposes, are you saying that in the picture the Sherman shut down because the charger shut down, or because of the Sherman itself shutting down?

4 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Just to make sure we are not talking cross purposes, are you saying that in the picture the Sherman shut down because the charger shut down, or because of the Sherman itself shutting down?

The Sherman shut down because the charger stopped delivering current, contrary to the stock charger that goes on for ever. The point was the charger cutoff threshold, the powered off Sherman was just to illustrate that the current was cut.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, div said:

The Sherman shut down because the charger stopped delivering current, contrary to the stock charger that goes on for ever. The point was the charger cutoff threshold, the powered off Sherman was just to illustrate that the current was cut.

I observe a different behaviour with the 5A stock charger (YZPower branded Leaperkim) as well as with a 3A Gotway stock charger on mine.

At the end of the CV phase, and after draining down to approx 22W from the socket, the wheel shuts off while the charger stays on with a green LED. The charger keeps using 2-3W (wasted) as the wheel remain off.
Unplugging the charger and plugging it again has no effect, as the wheel refuse to take charge, being already at "full" voltage.

Take note that it's with a very recent Sherman board running the 10.0.58 firmware and voltage calibrated so it ends up at exactly 100.8V.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Take note that it's with a very recent Sherman board running the 10.0.58 firmware and voltage calibrated so it ends up at exactly 100.8V

The difference might be that, mine is on 10.0.56 older board and never shut off on the stock yz-450. Good for the Shermie if so.

28 minutes ago, div said:

Ok, I dont want to bang on about this but can we quantify it. The Sherman can be seen to shut down for two reasons:

1. It reaches full saturation.

2. Input charge is terminated.

Are you confident that the charger switched off totally thereby causing the sherman shutdown or:

That the Sherman got saturated, shut down and gave the impression that the charger had shut down.

Unless you were probing the output of the charger at the time of sherman shutdown or the charger has some sort of visible indication to show it is indeed 'off', I'm not sure how you could be sure it was one or the other.

10 minutes ago, supercurio said:

At the end of the CV phase, and after draining down to approx 22W from the socket, the wheel shuts off while the charger stays on with a green LED. The charger keeps using 2-3W (wasted) as the wheel remain off.
Unplugging the charger and plugging it again has no effect, as the wheel refuse to take charge, being already at "full" voltage.

Yep, exactly the same as mine. Also the same with my friend, using the stock charger on one of the earliest V1 Shermans.

My point being, although the charger is still 'on' and sending out a very small current, its irrelevant as the Sherman isnt accepting any of it. So the fact the charger is 'dumb' doesnt matter, at least on the Sherman. I believe its the same with my Z10 too as it happens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Unless you were probing the output of the charger at the time of sherman shutdown or the charger has some sort of visible indication to show it is indeed 'off', I'm not sure how you could be sure it was one or the other

There is a display on the charger, it shows the current being 0.00A, just look at the photo I posted. It went from hovering around 0.4A to 0.00A. The cutoff is also mentioned in the specs: “output cutoff when charged”.

Whether the Sherman have a cutoff of its own (which I have never observed nor read about before today, but hey, great) is besides the point: I was answering the question regarding if chargers can cut the charge on their own..

Edited by div

40 minutes ago, div said:

There is a display on the charger, it shows the current being 0.00A, just look at the photo I posted.

Oh and just for clarity/consistency, my 'non auto shutdown' charger would also show 0.00A if plugged into a fully charged sherman that had shut itself down..

8282021165653.thumb.jpg.c42e708ff18479785bee711682fd7faa.jpg

23 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Out of interest, have you tried this charger on a Gotway for example?

I don’t understand why you care so much about my charger and what you are trying to get to.

No, i haven’t used it on a Gotway. You seem hell bent on arguing that it isn’t my charger but the Sherman that cut the charge: what exactly are you trying to achieve here?

That there are no chargers with built in cutoff? 

That my C1200 doesn’t have a built in built un cutoff in spite of the specs stating so and the function being fairly common?

Even if the Sherm had cut before the charger did it doesn’t change anything to the original point which was: there are chargers with built in cutoff threshold.

Now this is enough derailing for my side, I will stop replying.

Edited by div

Just now, div said:

I don’t understand why you care so much about my charger and what you are trying to get to.

I'm simply interested in your charger. No idea why that would be a problem. But either way, no problem, we'll forget it. No offence intended!

44 minutes ago, Richardo said:

tell me to beat it if these electronics newbie questions are annoying... but if a CPU runs on 3.3v, and like a new Ryzen 3970 uses 280W, does that mean it's an 85 amp part?! 

Good point! That said, I read a thread of someone overclocking a 3970X and using liquid nitrogen cooling so.... maybe :o

14 hours ago, Richardo said:

tell me to beat it if these electronics newbie questions are annoying... but if a CPU runs on 3.3v, and like a new Ryzen 3970 uses 280W, does that mean it's an 85 amp part?! 

Ryzen 3970X seems to run on core voltages below 1.5V.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15152/asus-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-review/8

But a computer processor is much more than the core(s). Wikipedia can surely tell much more than what I know/remember, but unless I’m badly mistaken, there are several sections of the processor that use a significant amount of power as well.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, EUC Endurist said:

would be interested in what happens when the cells are fully outbalanced and the charger is still plugged it? would there be some kind of bypass?

Why don’t we discuss the technical matters in it’s own topic? Link below. These won’t be answered in a short single posting.

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Video on 80% charging, "Good or Bad?"