Rs 19 HT help

So I am brand new and starting out on the rs 19 HT. I love it. But I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the pedals flat. They are slanted in a way that forced my foot into the crevasse and it forces the side of my calf into the euc a lot harder than is comfortable. 

If anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it.

• Like 2

If you file too much you have to get new pedals.

It's good if you can measure the angle. 

I use my phone. Maybe not the best way.

I noticed many small irregularities. It's good to measure so you can work more on the side that's worse than the other.

1 minute ago, alcatraz said:

Getting new pedals isn't a big problem by the way. They're a solid upgrade from the original pedals.

Yeah I went ahead and grabbed some cnc honey comb begode pedals. Figured if this is going to be my new main hobby may as well splurge some money on it. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tritzzy said:

So I am brand new and starting out on the rs 19 HT. I love it. But I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the pedals flat. They are slanted in a way that forced my foot into the crevasse and it forces the side of my calf into the euc a lot harder than is comfortable. 

If anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it.

FYI - this is less of a RS 19 problem and more of a new rider problem. Once you get some more miles under your belt, it is very likely you will regret the flat pedals. I suggest leaving everything stock and just adding plenty of padding on the top edge of the shell and also wear some shin pads (rotated to protect the inside of your calf) to decrease the pain and let you practice longer. Once you become good with mounting/dismounting, the side of the wheel should rarely contact your leg and the "problem" will go away.

There are many new riders who assume adding new accessories will help with a variety common issues (foot pain, leg pain/bruise, wobbles, etc.,) while not realizing the issues are just caused by not riding enough to let your body adjust to using these new muscles. Save your money and just ride. The bone stock RS 19 setup with some basic pads is going to bring as much joy to you as spending another $1000 on all sorts of unneeded additions.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, conecones said:

FYI - this is less of a RS 19 problem and more of a new rider problem. Once you get some more miles under your belt, it is very likely you will regret the flat pedals. I suggest leaving everything stock and just adding plenty of padding on the top edge of the shell and also wear some shin pads (rotated to protect the inside of your calf) to decrease the pain and let you practice longer. Once you become good with mounting/dismounting, the side of the wheel should rarely contact your leg and the "problem" will go away.

There are many new riders who assume adding new accessories will help with a variety common issues (foot pain, leg pain/bruise, wobbles, etc.,) while not realizing the issues are just caused by not riding enough to let your body adjust to using these new muscles. Save your money and just ride. The bone stock RS 19 setup with some basic pads is going to bring as much joy to you as spending another $1000 on all sorts of unneeded additions.

Oh I fully agree. Pedals won't magically make problems go away. Although a disagree that stock should just be accepted. Regardless of rider of any PEV preference is there of how they would like it. Plus I think in general weather is new or experienced riders, there is agreeance that spiked larger pedals are always an upgrade. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tritzzy said:

Oh I fully agree. Pedals won't magically make problems go away. Although a disagree that stock should just be accepted. Regardless of rider of any PEV preference is there of how they would like it. Plus I think in general weather is new or experienced riders, there is agreeance that spiked larger pedals are always an upgrade. 

Going back to the original point about filing the pedals - please understand that the new pedals will have the same angle as the original pedals. In fact they will come with adjustable screws that make the angle even MORE aggressive. There is a reason for this, and this is why I suggest leaving things stock and just adding padding for comfort.

Spiked pedals are not always an upgrade - they can be uncomfortable with soft thin soled shoes. They can also lock your feet in too much when combined with tight fitting pads - you want to avoid this when learning. The main reason people use it is to provide traction in muddy/wet conditions and to allow more aggressive maneuvers - something that you won't be doing for some time. 

On the topic of preference, since this is all subjective you can get anything you like if it makes you happy. All I'm saying is that objectively, new pedals will not help your situation with the pedal angle, and since you are new, I'm giving you the heads up that future problems like wobbles or foot pain are also not going to go away with new accessories. Contrary to what you may have read, Gotway's stock setup is actually very good. It might not look bling like those Instagram photos, but functionally there's no reason to upgrade if you are just starting out.

• Like 2

If you are new to riding (even if it is a different enough wheel), your calf will hurt really bad at first. So bad that you can barely ride (for me at least). Just give it a few days rest if it really hurts and keep going and the pain and discomfort will go away quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

If your calf is large like mine keep your feet closer to the outside of the pedal to give more room. The angle is a huge help to prevent your feet from falling off the out side of the pedals and to give more clearance in turns.

• 1 month later...

I put Clark pedals on my RS and was not a fan at first.  The increased angle like you said promotes more pressure against the wheel.  I over same this with a healthy smacking of baby foam inside my jump pads and shell to cradle my inner legs and ankle.  It is extremely comfy now!

Problem is, that extra bit of pedal angle will help a lot if you ride trails, RS pedals are low already.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flying W said:

@Rich Sam if you haven't done so already get a pair of the shorter pedal hangers. That small bit of extra clearance really helps out on the trails and having the contact pint lower on the legs makes the wheel feel more nimble as well. 

it was on my todo list to look into those, I hear good things!

19 hours ago, Flying W said:

@Rich Sam if you haven't done so already get a pair of the shorter pedal hangers. That small bit of extra clearance really helps out on the trails and having the contact pint lower on the legs makes the wheel feel more nimble as well. 

you wouldn't happen to know the best vendor to grab them from would you?

5 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

you wouldn't happen to know the best vendor to grab them from would you?

I was just emailing ewheels (prior to the service center fire) and was asking about what tires were in Stock, asked if they had any short hangers kinda jokingly and they said they had one set so I grabbed them. 

If you don't mind the long shipping times I'm sure they are available on Ali too. Non electronic things are usually fine from Ali Express. 

I'd hit up ewheels, alien rides euco and the rest to see if someone US based had a set first though. 

• 3 months later...

Mine was a first batch, the shorter hangers are at a more aggressive angle than my stock longer hangers. 

I prefer it this way though, being an 1800wh wheel my rides aren't long enough for it to hurt much and they help my feet stay on off road. 

Seeking advice please, I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a suspension wheel (BegodeT4) but have been put off after reading about the problematic suspension system on so many of the newer wheels.

If I do decide to stay with non suspension, my choice is the Begode RS19. I am very interested in hearing the Pros and Cons of riding this wheel. Any input from RS 19 riders will be very much appreciated. Thanks. 

On 5/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, conecones said:

this is less of a RS 19 problem and more of a new rider problem.

Many learning issues are, but with this I disagree with. If the pedal angles on the RS are as nasty as they were on the MSX (15• left, 13• right), it really is too much to be practical. Sure some people may prefer such extreme angles, but fighting foot issues because of it doesn’t make much sense.

But if one ends up filing the pedals, go REAL slow, and measure VERY often! It’s very easy to file them down too much. Do NOT aim for flat or near flat, go for 10-12 degrees. 

@Trizz You will get used to the RS19 pedal angle pretty fast. 

The shorter you are the more your legs would bow to fit around the wide case of the RS19 s the pedals were flat.

So, to counter the bowing of your legs, you would increase the pedal angle to put your legs at a more comfortable angle.

With a thinner wheel, this is not as noticeable. The RS19 is pretty wide and really needs to have angled pedals to be comfortable. It comes down to geometry.  I increased the pedal angle on my new Master due to the width and height to make it more comfortable for me to ride.

Try riding with your feet toward to the outer edge of the pedals and see if that helps.