Would the V10F feel like an upgrade from the MCM5v2?

Hi folks,

I’ve owned an MCM5v2 for about a year as my first EUC and absolutely love it. It’s been really convenient for my daily commute in NYC, which I includes a mix of subway, several flights of stairs, and usually only about 4-5 miles on the EUC (the full commute without the subway would be around 16 miles each way, and while that’s doable on the MCMv2, it’s not the most comfortable and the battery is pretty much fully depleted after a round trip). I weigh around 140lbs, and looking at my riding history for the past year, my average ride speed is around 15-18mph, and I usually hit a top speed of 27-28mph. 

Unfortunately I’ve run into a hal sensor defect on the MCM5v2, and while I’m hoping to repair it, it’s also made me consider purchasing a second EUC as a backup.

I’m considering picking up a used V10F, and while it’s got a bigger motor and battery I’m wondering if it will feel like an an upgrade or disappointment compared to the MCM5v2.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, the_deeb said:

Hi folks,

I’ve owned an MCM5v2 for about a year as my first EUC and absolutely love it. It’s been really convenient for my daily commute in NYC, which I includes a mix of subway, several flights of stairs, and usually only about 4-5 miles on the EUC (the full commute without the subway would be around 16 miles each way, and while that’s doable on the MCMv2, it’s not the most comfortable and the battery is pretty much fully depleted after a round trip). I weigh around 140lbs, and looking at my riding history for the past year, my average ride speed is around 15-18mph, and I usually hit a top speed of 27-28mph. 

Unfortunately I’ve run into a hal sensor defect on the MCM5v2, and while I’m hoping to repair it, it’s also made me consider purchasing a second EUC as a backup.

I’m considering picking up a used V10F, and while it’s got a bigger motor and battery I’m wondering if it will feel like an an upgrade or disappointment compared to the MCM5v2.

I have an MCM 3, my first wheel. I suspect you will find the bigger wheel to be an amazing upgrade, but more of a hassle to carry around.

You could think of the V10F (if you're lucky enough to get one used) as your full round trip wheel, in addition to being your back up wheel, and the MCM5 as your go-to daily lug-around wheel, which it's superior to all other wheels at, due to weight/size.

And maybe you'll end up preferring to use the V10F every day on the train.

Either way you'll have a back up wheel, and the V10F will at the very least be a big upgrade in certain situations for you, like long trips and snowy days where the bigger wheel will be safer.

22 minutes ago, the_deeb said:

Hi folks,

another model to keep an eye out for would be the V8F, which weighs 14-15 lbs less than the V10F at 31 lbs

https://www.amazon.com/INMOTION-V8F-Electric-Unicycle-Balancing/dp/B0963QJZ63/ref=asc_df_B0963QJZ63/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507714394993&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=152886983019706753&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003059&hvtargid=pla-1324383131460&psc=1

2 minutes ago, Esash said:

The shop near me has a new v8f for 999$ With Free shipping  http://studio-amg.com 300$ less than that Amazon listing 

Edited by Dosingpsychedelics
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Freestyler said:

kingsong 18xl

I would also suggest the 18XL (new version out is named 18XL "LH") that is a bit faster and performs better.

It's the best value for money in my honest opinion!! 👌💲

• Like 1

The V10F and 18XL are definitely nice wheels, but it won't feel like an upgrade. Although the 18XL states 31mph in reality it's only hitting 27-28mph before it starts tilting back, and you can't accelerate like you can on a Gotway. If you want something that'll feel like an upgrade get a 100v wheel. IMO the MCM5v2 is the best performing 84V wheel. While others can hit more speed nothing rides as hard as it that's 84V. Nikola+, RS19, EXN, Sherman, etc. will feel like an upgrade, but any other 84V wheel will be trading torque/acceleration for similar speeds or slightly more speed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:52 PM, Esash said:

another model to keep an eye out for would be the V8F, which weighs 14-15 lbs less than the V10F at 31 lbs

My V8F (August 2021) weighs 15.8 kg | 34.8 lbs. Only the first batch weighed about 32 lbs, part of which was more expensive and lighter metal used for motor cover, along with some other changes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

IMO the MCM5v2 is the best performing 84V wheel. While others can hit more speed nothing rides as hard as it that's 84V.

I agree that the torque and acceleration on the MCM5v2 are pretty amazing, and I’m skeptical of whether other wheels would feel as impressive in that regard. However, I do think sustained speed, range and riding comfort are potential areas for an “upgrade” over the MCM5v2 and it sounds like the KS18XL might provide that (sounds like the V10F might be a bit too marginal).

I appreciate the 100V suggestion, but I am hoping to keep the weight as low as possible to not make it too inconvenient to carry up stairs. The ~52lb weight of the KS18XL already seems like a lot.

Edited by the_deeb

As far as riding comfort and stability goes, the V10F should already be quite a clear of an upgrade. 18XL a few steps more.

The thing with GotWay/Begode is though that you choose your personal max speed safety buffer by yourself. Choose wrong and you eat the pavement. Inmotion and KingSong have a software limited top speed instead, to prevent you from accelerating beyond the safe capabilities of the wheel. Therefore V10F top speed is 25-28mph depending on the riding mode, 18XL is 31mph. Both reported, not GPS speeds. And both for a very good reason.

28mph is a pretty horrendous speed to be riding on a 14” (x 2.5”) EUC to be honest. Other 14” (x 2.125”) wheels are generally limited to 19mph or less. I personally rarely pass 28mph even on a 18x3” (= so called “ 20” “) wheel. But since you have been used to such a speed on a tiny 14” wheel, the same speed on a large and stable cruiser will definitely feel boring, and you might want to go faster. Worth considering if you are thinking of a safer non-GotWay wheel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the_deeb said:

I agree that the torque and acceleration on the MCM5v2 are pretty amazing, and I’m skeptical of whether other wheels would feel as impressive in that regard. However, I do think sustained speed, range and riding comfort are potential areas for an “upgrade” over the MCM5v2 and it sounds like the KS18XL might provide that (sounds like the V10F might be a bit too marginal).

I appreciate the 100V suggestion, but I am hoping to keep the weight as low as possible to not make it too inconvenient to carry up stairs. The ~52lb weight of the KS18XL already seems like a lot.

If you have your eyes on the 18XL I'd recommend the Kingsong 16X or Gotway Nikola+ over it. The acceleration on the 18XL is pretty bad, especially compared to the mcm5v2. The 16X on the other hand has the same specs as the 18XL, but a ton more torque thanks to the smaller tire diameter and double the mosfets on the control board. The Nikola+ is 100v and can hit up to 40mph.

I have the 64lbs Nikola AR+ (Stock is 59lbs) and while it isn't impossible to lift up stairs the handle isn't as ergonomic. It's wide so it's hard to lift with one hand easily. I'm by no means a strong guy but the ergonomic handle of the 18XL makes it quite easy to lift up stairs. Much easier than my same weight scooter. The 16X also looks to have an ergonomic handle so unless you're very-very weak it should be fine. I struggle to even do more than a few good reps on a 20lbs dumbbell.

Comfort wise my 18x2.5 tire 18XL and 16x3 tire Nikola AR+ feel quite similar, but the wider tire is much better. I think if you can handle it go for the Nik+, otherwise I'd suggest the 16X over the 18XL.

The 16X would be a worthy contender if it didn’t have such a bad power curve at the top. Many 16X owners limit their wheels to 26mph because it’s not very safe to go faster on that one. And the actual GPS speed is even a good bit lower than that, I think it was 7-10%.

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

And the actual GPS speed is even a good bit lower than that, I think it was 7-10%

I think the GPS speed delta is tire dependent... my H666 is true enough (1-3 kph) that I don't bother with a correction factor, but other tires are certain to measure differently. Don't forget that if you carve a lot, the wheel covers more ground than GPS can resolve!

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

my H666 is true enough (1-3 kph)

Well, at 40km/h, 3km/h is indeed 7.5%… ;)

This stuff just seems to be a big deal to some people, which is why I mentioned that. I recently had a discussion about speeds, and KS’s actual to speed was brought up because of the relatively high bloat factor.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Well, at 40km/h, 3km/h is indeed 7.5%… ;)

haha... true, true. Oddly EUCWorld says my GPS speed is 1-3 kph higher than my uncorrected wheel speed! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doesn't matter to me, but unlike many, I don't chase the top speed trophy.

• Upvote 2

On 4/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, the_deeb said:

I’m wondering if it will feel like an an upgrade or disappointment compared to the MCM5v2

The V10F would be a disappointment, at least performance wise. It is slower, probably has less torque due to its larger wheel, and has only a very marginally larger battery. If you want an upgrade go with an Rs19, Nik+, or V12 type wheel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

If you have your eyes on the 18XL I'd recommend the Kingsong 16X or Gotway Nikola+ over it. The acceleration on the 18XL is pretty bad, especially compared to the mcm5v2. The 16X on the other hand has the same specs as the 18XL, but a ton more torque thanks to the smaller tire diameter and double the mosfets on the control board. The Nikola+ is 100v and can hit up to 40mph.

I have the 64lbs Nikola AR+ (Stock is 59lbs) and while it isn't impossible to lift up stairs the handle isn't as ergonomic. It's wide so it's hard to lift with one hand easily. I'm by no means a strong guy but the ergonomic handle of the 18XL makes it quite easy to lift up stairs. Much easier than my same weight scooter. The 16X also looks to have an ergonomic handle so unless you're very-very weak it should be fine. I struggle to even do more than a few good reps on a 20lbs dumbbell.

Comfort wise my 18x2.5 tire 18XL and 16x3 tire Nikola AR+ feel quite similar, but the wider tire is much better. I think if you can handle it go for the Nik+, otherwise I'd suggest the 16X over the 18XL.

16x handle are much worse than 18xl. The shape on 16x is square angled. 18xl has more round handle. I was choosing between them two, i loved how 16x looks and that 16x3 tire. But as i had to carry my wheel a lot. I went with 18xl instead. 16x simply felt awkward in hand.

But same time if i had option to revisit my choice. I would have maybe went with 16x, just for more fun aspect. 18xl is solid cruiser wheel doh. Same time i have added bigger tire to it, so at the end it's win, win.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, the_deeb said:

Just wanted to update that I ended up getting a used KS16X. Have only ridden it a short distance but so far I really like it. I know it’s often described as being very nimble and a bit twitchy, but it feels so much more stable and tame to me than the MCM5v2 - I guess these things are all relative!

It’s definitely a lot bigger and heavier but the comfortable (though admittedly somewhat wobbly) carry handle does make it quite manageable to take up stairs.

Lowering tire pressure should fix "wobbliness" i'm running 28psi and weight 125kg < just for a reference. (Lower psi means you can dent/bend rim easier, going over curbs..)

Just to be clear, the “wobbliness” that I was referring to was specifically the amount of play in the trolley handle. I find the ride itself to be really stable (certainly compared to the MCM5).