Jump to content

Does KS16 shuts off if the handle is pulled out ? (Answer: No)


Recommended Posts

Do you know if the new Kingsong 16 inch  shuts off  when the handle is pulled out?
If this is true, I think this feature could be dangerous and undesirable.
1) Dangerous because a switch more is added (more complexity means more risk of failure) and if the handle is casually pulled up by the raider, a faceplant may occur.
2) Undesirable because, when transporting the wheel by the handle, if the motor is on, it may be a great help for pushing the wheel, expecially when walking uphill and climbing stairs.

Edited by dmethvin
Add the answer since it's a long thread
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definetly a safety issue. What happens if the handle bar become loose (and comes a bit up) riding a urban road? The user needs to decide if the EU is powered or not.

I've ordered one for my wife. So I'll test if it's on site.

Edited by OliverH
Link to post
Share on other sites

@jrkline on 10 January you wrote:

Had the opportunity to ride the demo model of the new and soon to be released 16" wheel from Kingsong at the Kingsong display at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas yesterday, And I must say that I became an instant fan.The wheel looks and feels very similar to the Ninebot E with an 800w motor and 680wh battery.The diagonal mounted telescopic handle is really slick as it cuts the power off when you pull it out.The most surprising thing to me was the low speed maneuverability especially on a carpeted surface negotiating the many spectators on the CES showroom.I own the KS-18A and would never have that much low speed control on it in the same environment.Very surprising low speed control for a 16 inch wheel.

Do you confirm what you said about the KS 16 handle? Does it really cuts the power off when pulled out?

Edited by Frankman
Link to post
Share on other sites

We may be getting ahead if ourselves. First of all even if shuts off ( which of course is not a good thing) we dont know if it shuts off when the handle is fully extended or just extended a little. Second, i believe @KaleOsaurusRex later said that it doesnt shut off, third, i kniw that kingsong normally tries to make sure the shut offs are nit triggered by accident. This is why you have to press and hold the on/ off button for like a second before it shuts off to orevent accidental pressing of the button, and thi unit wont shut off unless its standing perfectly still. I dont see that its very probably that kingsong will design a unit that will shut off when you start extending the handle, but of course crazier things have happened. I am sure we will soon find out,

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the phrase "cuts the power" could just as easily mean it reduces the power, not necessarily that it eliminates the power. I'm guessing English isn't the first language of the people who write most of the descriptions.

I started a thread elsewhere where I described stepping off a curb while trolleying my KS14 (which had a bolt-on handle). It slipped out of my hand and went into a tasmanian devil spin that tore the handle to pieces. So I think reducing the power when the handle is extended is a very good idea to avoid breaking the handle in cases like that. And reduced power would be fine for trolleying around, as opposed to zero power which I agree would make trolleying kind of useless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mark321 said:

To me the phrase "cuts the power" could just as easily mean it reduces the power, not necessarily that it eliminates the power. I'm guessing English isn't the first language of the people who write most of the descriptions.

I started a thread elsewhere where I described stepping off a curb while trolleying my KS14 (which had a bolt-on handle). It slipped out of my hand and went into a tasmanian devil spin that tore the handle to pieces. So I think reducing the power when the handle is extended is a very good idea to avoid breaking the handle in cases like that. And reduced power would be fine for trolleying around, as opposed to zero power which I agree would make trolleying kind of useless.

Not sure what " reduces the power" would mean? Reduce speed? Reduce max. Amperage going to the motor? How will this manifest itself? Reducing speed when riding the wheel and accidentally pull out the handle is as dangerous as cutting the power. I believe whoever mentioned it first speaks good english. We just need someone who has the wheel to comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mistagear said:

Why not wait until they actually make the first production unit before you have headspins about nothing ?

I guess because some people want to preorder asap :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant kingsong's documentation isn't always written in good english. I thought the "cuts the power" was a quote straight from a kingsong press release or advertisement or something, so maybe I misunderstood that part.

I know sensors can fail, and a false positive reducing power while riding would be a problem, but I think it can be made a very small risk and a fair trade off. The alternative is a virtual guarantee that many people will damage their built-in handle beyond repair with occasional tasmanian devil spins.

The best idea I've seen so far for reducing power involved sensors to detect if someone is standing on the EUC or not. That would stop the tasmanian devil spins along with hopefully just about any other case where an EUC can go flying out of control.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The prototype displayed at CES did NOT have a mechanism to cut power if the handle is extended—in this respect it was the same as shown at the HK show a couple months earlier. In the scenario of it falling over, the same 45° cut-out mechanism should prevent it from spinning out of control.  

Inmotion have a lift-disconnect function on their V5, it seems unlikely that a rider could/would intentionally kill power to their Wheel on that model.

20160106_123444.jpg.32465d1cd3ba6c3b1d4b

Edited by Jason McNeil
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cloud said:

I guess because some people want to preorder asap :) 

Some people already did pre order ,months ago. (I have)

If a power cut off happens to be included as a feature and you dont like it,   removing the feature will only require soldering a single wire. Hardly difficult.

Anyhow, China is FINALLY back at work, so the 16" production models should start to appear shortly and your concerns will be answered

Edited by Mistagear
can't spell
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, StreetMeatNYC said:

....Foot pads as good as skate grip? .....

Just a quick comment on the pad. I havent tried ks 16 but i am pretty sure nothing can be as good as skate grips. Id recommend to everyone to install grip tape no matter how hood the pad surface already is and whether it has rubber or not. One needs as much traction with the pad as possible. This will simply allow you to stay on the pad at a steeper angke when you tilt sideways during turns or when doing tricks. On my ks14 even when the u it tikts back during overheating, it tilts all the way back and i still dont slide off the pedals. Having a little rubber on the pad may be sufficient for normal riding but putting grip tape on opens up a whole new dimension of riding opportunities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Just a quick comment on the pad. I havent tried ks 16 but i am pretty sure nothing can be as good as skate grips. Id recommend to everyone to install grip tape no matter how hood the pad surface already is and whether it has rubber or not. One needs as much traction with the pad as possible. This will simply allow you to stay on the pad at a steeper angke when you tilt sideways during turns or when doing tricks. On my ks14 even when the u it tikts back during overheating, it tilts all the way back and i still dont slide off the pedals. Having a little rubber on the pad may be sufficient for normal riding but putting grip tape on opens up a whole new dimension of riding opportunities.

Right, I asked because it does not appear easy to install grip tape on the KS16

Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm i dont know, it appears that grip tape will stick to pretty mcuh anything. I also wrap it around the pedal. If you wrap it around and let it stick to the other side, it should not fall off..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clean the surface with something like acetone and let it evaporate before applying the tape (shouldn't take long, it evaporates really fast in room temperature), getting all the grit and grease off before applying tape will make it stick much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not say that it wouldn't stick, or that couldn't be done, just that it looks like a pain to do.

The entire pedal top is covered in rubber with lifted arches. You could either just slap it on top, which will make it all wrinkly and look like crap, or you have to take the time to cut the grip tape to shape. Either option sucks... Ninebot Pedals were easy to do, screw off top of pedal, stick grip tape, flip, cut with exacto... done. That aint happening with these.... So it returns me to my question of how comparable is it? I get its not equal, but is it close?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StreetMeatNYC said:

I did not say that it wouldn't stick, or that couldn't be done, just that it looks like a pain to do.

The entire pedal top is covered in rubber with lifted arches. You could either just slap it on top, which will make it all wrinkly and look like crap, or you have to take the time to cut the grip tape to shape. Either option sucks... Ninebot Pedals were easy to do, screw off top of pedal, stick grip tape, flip, cut with exacto... done. That aint happening with these.... So it returns me to my question of how comparable is it? I get its not equal, but is it close?

I could be wrong, but i believe there is a third option. If you just put it on top of the rubber and wrap the edges around the bottom, yes at first it will look wrinkly but after you ride on it for a while the tape will settle in and stick to the spots where there is no protruding rubber. Doesnt hurt to try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...