@Zylmex Gotway Msuper using 5A charger?

adhermes

2 hours ago, adhermes said:

@esaj or others:

Does anyone know if the KS14C high powered 5A charger is safe to use with the Gotway MSUPER2 850wh? 

I see a couple of potential problems with this:

-As far as I know, the GX16-3 connector (the charge port connector) is rated for 5A maximum, so using it at the limit might cause some (considerable?) heating
-I don't know what the charge-side wiring of MSuper is rated for, but if it's too thin, there's a (relatively small?) possibility of the wires themselves overheating and the insulation melting

Most importantly, I recall reading that the (older?) Gotway MSuper BMSs do not have charge side reverse polarity protection diode. If the positive and negative pins of the charger plug are not the same with King Song and Gotway, there's a risk that you might end up putting them in reverse (positive charger to negative battery and negative charger to positive battery), forming a continuous circuit with two voltage supplies in series (the charger and the battery) with very little resistance. Essentially, you'd short-circuit the battery and the charger together, and the circuit would be fed by current from both the batteries and the charger, leading to a very dangerous situation (likely something would blow up fairly quick, in worst case the cells of the battery could overheat and explode, as all the power would be dissipated by the cells, BMS and the charger).

If you know what you're doing and can measure the pins to be in the correct polarity (when charging, the positive of the charger goes to the positive of the battery, same with negatives) or change the wiring so that it's correct, it could work just fine, but I'm not sure.

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

I see a couple of potential problems with this:

-As far as I know, the GX16-3 connector (the charge port connector) is rated for 5A maximum, so using it at the limit might cause some (considerable?) heating
-I don't know what the charge-side wiring of MSuper is rated for, but if it's too thin, there's a (relatively small?) possibility of the wires themselves overheating and the insulation melting

Most importantly, I recall reading that the (older?) Gotway MSuper BMSs do not have charge side reverse polarity protection diode. If the positive and negative pins of the charger plug are not the same with King Song and Gotway, there's a risk that you might end up putting them in reverse (positive charger to negative battery and negative charger to positive battery), forming a continuous circuit with two voltage supplies in series (the charger and the battery) with very little resistance. Essentially, you'd short-circuit the battery and the charger together, and the circuit would be fed by current from both the batteries and the charger, leading to a very dangerous situation (likely something would blow up fairly quick, in worst case the cells of the battery could overheat and explode, as all the power would be dissipated by the cells, BMS and the charger).

If you know what you're doing and can measure the pins to be in the correct polarity (when charging, the positive of the charger goes to the positive of the battery, same with negatives) or change the wiring so that it's correct, it could work just fine, but I'm not sure.

That's a whole lot of could's and maybe's, so I'm just going to use the slow-mo charger that comes with the unit. Thanks esaj!

3 minutes ago, adhermes said:

That's a whole lot of could's and maybe's, so I'm just going to use the slow-mo charger that comes with the unit. Thanks esaj!

Yeah, I've taken the (overly) cautious -route when trying to help people with these things, better safe than sorry and all that... ;)   It could also be just fine (correct polarity out-of-the-box and the connector/wire ratings so conservative that they'd cause no problem, 5A for that amount of packs should otherwise be just ok), but I prefer not to tell people to try it, as I don't know for sure :P   If there was that diode in place in the BMS, putting a "wrong" polarity in the charge port should cause nothing (the charging wouldn't simply start as the diode would block the current from flowing), but with the diode missing, there can be really big fireworks.

As far as I know, Gotway and Kinsong rooted the same origin so the charge connections of GX16-3 are the same. I have a photo of KS14C charger and it looks the the same as Gotway as far as the polarity is concerned.
Also, the standard charger comes with KS14C high capacity(520Wh or 680Wh) is rated 4A.
I use a 5A charger for my MSuper2 680Wh for sometimes now and no problem what so ever such as overheat.

Once there was a gathering of EUC riders here and one of them had a loose connection of his charger plug. He re-soldered it with wrong polarity and fried his connections completed with a big boom and a flash. I had to rushed to his place with a pair of GX16-3 and soldering iron etc. to fixed it. Luckily it seem no damage made to neither the EUC(mcm2) nor the charger except the connectors. I still keep the damaged connectors as a negative example.

Archived