Losing my mind - maybe my brain is broken? Riding backwards woes

adhermes

Man, I have to say that I feel like I'm losing my mind. I have been very happy with my progress at learning the EUC after an admittedly rough start. I can now go off road, up and down curbs (on a 14" wheel mind you) and do 180 degree pivot turns all without falling or even coming close to falling. My balance overall feels incredible and I love the "training" aspect of wheel riding. 

However! I cannot ride backwards for the life of me. I'm really struggling with riding on one leg as well. The amount of pressure that is pressed against the calf and shin bone is punishing. I bought some new boots to try to alleviate this issue (in fact, I have a whole body armor set now, these are the items):

body armor: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/837/25776/Fox-Racing-Titan-Sport-Jacket-Body-Armor
boots: http://www.cyclegear.com/ALPINESTARS-Tech-7-Enduro-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Boots (the white version)
pants: http://www.cyclegear.com/ALPINESTARS-A-10-Air-Flo-Mesh-Motorcycle-Pants 

I feel much safer in the gear, but the boots definitely inhibit my ability to quickly maneuver. Mostly the problem is the grip on the KS14C wheels, even though I put industrial grade sidewalk grip tape on them. 

Anyway, I'm really frustrated with this riding backwards situation. Also, riding on one leg, I can go straight but have a hard time controlling my speed and definitely can't make any turns except for sharp left turns that basically turn into tiny little 180 degree turns that then stop me. Perhaps I just need more practice, but if anyone has tips for riding backwards, I'm all ears.

This will come in time. You are saying that you e gotten good at riding forward, but in essense the problem is that when you are going backwards your mind is supposed to function in reverse. Simply speaking left becomes right and right becomes left. When you go forward and start falling to the right, you turn the wheel to the right to be upright again and regain balance. When you are going backwards and falling on the right side you wheel is to turn in the opposite direction. With more practice you will come to the point when the brain switches when going backwards and your moves are automatic.

for me , what helped me was trying to stand in one spot as long as possible. Try practicing  it for 20 minutes. You can twist, move slightly forward or backward but try to stand around one spot. You can start out going forward slowly and then slow down to a full stop and try to stay upright. When you can stand around one spot for 10-20 seconds, you will find that suddently swinging backwards and forwards becomes mich easier,

another way is to start out by holding to railing and moving backwards along the railing and only grabbing it if you think you are falling. Ultimately it will come with practice.

It took me only five minutes to ride forward(for >50 meters) but took me more than 10 days(roughly 20 minutes practice each day) to be able to ride backwards.

It took me only five minutes to ride forward(for >50 meters) but took me more than 10 days(roughly 20 minutes practice each day) to be able to ride backwards.

I have been wondering if one legged is particularly hard on the KingSong 14C?

I figure the nearer your leg is to the wheel (as per Ninebot) and the more side area against your leg (as with Ninebot or any of the 16" wheels) the less pressure there is on the side of your leg. A 16" wheel should also be a bit more stable and the 14" KingSong is wide so your leg is further from the fulcrum point of the wheel which must significantly increase the pressure on the shin?

i'm finding one leg impossible on my 14C, this may be due to the fact I am only comfortable at the moment lifting my left leg and I broke my right leg badly 40 years ago which has resulted in a large callus on the tibia, that presses VERY painfully even with protection.

i am making slow progress at reverse though by riding near a railing I can grab if it goes too pear shaped. I'm hoping to practice both much more when the ground becomes dry enough to try on a softer grass surface ;-)

19 hours ago, adhermes said:

Man, I have to say that I feel like I'm losing my mind. I have been very happy with my progress at learning the EUC after an admittedly rough start. I can now go off road, up and down curbs (on a 14" wheel mind you) and do 180 degree pivot turns all without falling or even coming close to falling. My balance overall feels incredible and I love the "training" aspect of wheel riding. 

However! I cannot ride backwards for the life of me. I'm really struggling with riding on one leg as well. The amount of pressure that is pressed against the calf and shin bone is punishing. I bought some new boots to try to alleviate this issue (in fact, I have a whole body armor set now, these are the items):

body armor: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/837/25776/Fox-Racing-Titan-Sport-Jacket-Body-Armor
boots: http://www.cyclegear.com/ALPINESTARS-Tech-7-Enduro-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Boots (the white version)
pants: http://www.cyclegear.com/ALPINESTARS-A-10-Air-Flo-Mesh-Motorcycle-Pants 

I feel much safer in the gear, but the boots definitely inhibit my ability to quickly maneuver. Mostly the problem is the grip on the KS14C wheels, even though I put industrial grade sidewalk grip tape on them. 

Anyway, I'm really frustrated with this riding backwards situation. Also, riding on one leg, I can go straight but have a hard time controlling my speed and definitely can't make any turns except for sharp left turns that basically turn into tiny little 180 degree turns that then stop me. Perhaps I just need more practice, but if anyone has tips for riding backwards, I'm all ears.

Nice gear, if I wasn't so damn cheap, I'd get something similar ;)  Can't help with the backwards-riding unfortunately, as I suck at it :P  But will try to learn it next summer.

I learned to pedal uni backwards in training for the EUC.

Just some hints that  came to mind and at least helped me.

Walk backwards, seems silly but do it, feel it, maybe you never have?

Then look over each shoulder again walking backwards.

Run backwards, look over both shoulders.

Find a parking lot with the lines, hopefully without to many cars!

Ride your EUC forwards slowly to a line, stop, reverse Slowly to the next line behind you, stop, go forward to the starting line.

Then do 2 lines, 3 and so on, worked for me.

Now backwards circles about 8 meter diameter is getting me as right feels fine but left is needing a lot of work which it will get!

I find really "FEELING" the weight on your feet on the pedals helps the concentration learning backwards.

Oh and do not be afraid to fall, step off, I feel this to is learning also as your body needs to learn when you loose your balance how to get off the EUC safely.

CAUTION, Do not go to fast when learning reverse!

ukj

20 hours ago, adhermes said:

However! I cannot ride backwards for the life of me. I'm really struggling with riding on one leg as well. The amount of pressure that is pressed against the calf and shin bone is punishing. I bought some new boots to try to alleviate this issue (in fact, I have a whole body armor set now, these are the items)...
Anyway, I'm really frustrated with this riding backwards situation...

UKJ gave You good advices - one more that feels crazy but try (these are connected): Train to roll Your arms to the opposite directions!
+ 1: Focus on some point chosen, something You can sight.
+2: Remember: Your balance starts from Your hips since that's on Your center of mass

And get rid of those boots when You're just learning, can't figure out how You're able to ride forward even! Slowly but steady... You'll get there. I can even reverse 1-2m on Trial Montesa and UC, but still it was very hard to learn with EUC!

You'll find it much harder to go backwards on the Msuper, smaller wheels are easier.

I learnt to go backwards on my M10 but now it's reasonably easy on my KS as well.

I started by just stop starting continuously without dismounting and gradually trying to go back a few inches on each stop, it just gradually improved from there.

Still can't do one legged though, it hurts my varicose veins too much. :)

Archived