S20 S22 Spring Wt - softer springs for me!

Elliott Reitz

15 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I got an itchy trigger finger and ordered springs—they're clearly way too short...

Somebody on telegram confirmed the OG spring is 160mm long. I still am not sure about the standards on how they mark the size. But at least the length is known. 
Which springs did you order?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UniVehje said:

They were fleaBay gems, 550 lb DNMs but turned out to only be 113 mm long. I didn't ask the seller specifically, won't make that mistake again! Anyone need a short spring?

I have found that this Fox coil should fit:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/Steel-Coil-for-DHX-241-mm-Van-R-241-mm-p19783/

part numbers 039-09-000 -> 039-09-010 depending on poundage. Internal diameter 35.5 mm and fitting length around 170 mm. Should go in directly or with minor compression. 

Now just to choose the strength. @Elliott Reitz can you share your weight and what sag you have with the 350 lbs coil?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, UniVehje said:

My understanding is that this is not the length of the coil itself but the length between the eyelets. Meaning 240x76 is the correct size for the shock. 240mm between eyelets and 76mm travel in the shock. Definitely needs a tool to install in any case but it’s the right size. 

Edit: actually I’m not completely sure about the above. The stock shock is 240x75 but the spring might still have to be measured for the shock. 
https://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/buying-guides/components/rear-shock-springs-buying-guide/

This is what I’m trying to figure out. There’s very little information available about the coil sizes. 

This video shows changing the coil without any tools. Can someone measure the length of the original spring and confirm what size to get?

My 350lbs springs are 190mm (about an inch too long to fit).  The good thing that after using spring compressors to get them on, the preload is just right for maximum travel and geometry on the highest setting.  I rode at 200lbs and that was just right.  It will take more riding comparison to judge it in comparison with the airshock.  Till then I've got 2 dead S22s and all of china is in a deadly lockdown again.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 1:16 PM, Tawpie said:

So true. It's very difficult to do while waiting for almost a full year :angry:, but it is surely smarter to first try it stock, then if it needs adjustment having in hand a coil that fits will preventreduce mistakes. I got an itchy trigger finger and ordered springs—they're clearly way too short... I hope I've learned my lesson. Probably not.

If you want any suspension out of the stock spring you'll need to crank up its preload.  The reason is the shock travel to actual travel is max at the top (3:1), and min at the bottom (1.1:1) (see pic on p1).  Preloaded it works a little but you won't get more than 50% travel from it that way.  Starting lower its even stiffer.  

This is a good calculator for spring rate. With this you can set weight distribution to 100 % on rear wheel and therefore might be closer to EUC users. It indeed gives a 200 lbs rider a 350 lbs suggestion if countet with massive preload. Seems like @Elliott Reitz has it spot on. For me with minimal preload that would be a 300 lbs spring. More preload makes it act as softer. 

https://mrpbike.com/pages/spring-calculator

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 7:06 PM, Elliott Reitz said:

My 350lbs springs are 190mm (about an inch too long to fit).  The good thing that after using spring compressors to get them on, the preload is just right for maximum travel and geometry on the highest setting.  I rode at 200lbs and that was just right.  It will take more riding comparison to judge it in comparison with the airshock.  Till then I've got 2 dead S22s and all of china is in a deadly lockdown again.

So I got it PERFECT now!  Yes I have my S22 working again.  On my 1st ride (since it bricked in May) it was stiff AF.  Turned out the slider-grease had gotten full of sand and gummed it up really bad.  I scrubbed it out with WD40 and WOW it works nicely!  I'm down to about 180 ride-weight now too.  I'm using about 80% of my travel on most of my rides. 

Airshock update:  it was no-where near as soft as a well selected spring.  My prior positive impression of it was on my other S22 that didn't have slider issues like I discovered on this wheel.    Seems sand and grease don't mix well.  And those rubber bottom-out bushings shouldn't slide.  REMOVE THEM!

On 7/3/2022 at 4:28 PM, UniVehje said:

This is a good calculator for spring rate. With this you can set weight distribution to 100 % on rear wheel and therefore might be closer to EUC users. It indeed gives a 200 lbs rider a 350 lbs suggestion if countet with massive preload. Seems like @Elliott Reitz has it spot on. For me with minimal preload that would be a 300 lbs spring. More preload makes it act as softer. 

https://mrpbike.com/pages/spring-calculator

That sounds about right for my ride weight.  Speed uses suspension if its setup right.  This ride did about 80% travel and was soft like an Audi.  :D

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 4:30 AM, UniVehje said:

Somebody on telegram confirmed the OG spring is 160mm long. I still am not sure about the standards on how they mark the size. But at least the length is known. 

Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil Rear Shock Spring 3.00" - Black - Steel | eBay

The stock spring was 160mm.  I have a 190mm 350lbs on now (spring compressor to fit, gives perfect preload).  The ones in the ebay listing are 170mm and those fit so you might want to add another 50lbs to it.  At 170 lbs I can nearly bottom it with the 190x350.  In this video at 4:28 I hit a depressed tilted manhole cover enough to stick-high the right side of my fender and rub.  I stopped and it easily snapped back when I grabbed on it. 

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil Rear Shock Spring 3.00" - Black - Steel | eBay

The stock spring was 160mm.  I have a 190mm 350lbs on now (spring compressor to fit, gives perfect preload).  The ones in the ebay listing are 170mm and those fit so you might want to add another 50lbs to it.  At 170 lbs I can nearly bottom it with the 190x350.  In this video at 4:28 I hit a depressed tilted manhole cover enough to stick-high the right side of my fender and rub.  I stopped and it easily snapped back when I grabbed on it. 

Nice shoes.

You are a brave man to ride 40mph with a Steelbird Air 2, but at least you look cool. :efee6b18f3:

• Like 1