Tomorrow! Big day - 850wh Msuper2

Tomorrow is a big day! My carbon fiber Gotway MSUPER2 850wh will be arriving! After a good and long thought process, I decided that I couldn't wait another month+ for the KS18A 1360wh and I really wanted an 18" wheel. 

I'll be riding it on the mountain this weekend and will definitely provide a good, and hopefully unbiased, review of the unit. For reference, this is the unit that I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Gotway-Electronic-Self-balancing-unicycle-24mph-Carbon/dp/B01BA39U7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455231794&sr=8-2&keywords=gotway+850

Man I haven't been this excited since I got a Nintendo 64 on Christmas day..... back in 1996 :P

Congrats man I just got my Msuper on Monday and I'm in love.. It's really cool, I purchased mine from the same people, they were really nice to me. Mine did arrive dead and took 5 hrs to charge but its all good. Hope to see some video from that mountain

I'm excited for everybody! I can't get enough of mine, I upgraded from an Airwheel X8. I couldn't be happier, I'm having fun designing a few modifications for it, like the lights, padding on the sides, and the silly fender that slides under the light for rainy morning commutes. image.jpg.5df9da43e3ee259806e91658669467

image.jpg

if you noticed the metal charger port cover, you can order them online at amazon, my rubber one that comes standard kept falling off

So am I missing something? I can't seem to find the right app for my new msuper2. I downloaded one and it connects, but when I go into the settings menu it says "nothing here! Go back to main menu" but the main menu doesn't have any options!

can anyone help enlighten me?

Ok all, update. 

I have tried to keep my thoughts as unbiased as possible for this review update. 

First off, let me comment on the shell, as I got the carbon fiber shell. Except for the square areas that are on the left and right where your legs touch the unit, it is just basic plastic with a wrap on it. Which is fine but on the sides where your legs are its more of a fabric type carbon fiber which feels nice. 

There is a serious flaw though. You can't really air up the tire with a standard bike pump. There isn't enough clearance to fit the plug. They did cut out a small circular hole on the bottom to give you room to plug in the air pump but the hole is not big enough so it doesn't even matter. Filling up the tire is a big hassle so that's a mark against this unit. 

Thats my only con to this unit however. Let's talk about the positives:

1. Build quality is top rate. This unit is HEAVY and that makes it feel really well built. 

2. The pedals. Oh man the pedals. These things are huge and so comfortable. I put some industrial grip tape on both of them to really get good traction. 

3. The ride. So this thing rides a lot different from my ks14c. It's very stable. I think this is due to how much of your leg is actually touching the side of the unit. I noticed right away that I can maneuver this one just as well as my smaller unit. It does weigh a lot more, so it requires more effort, but you still can turn on a dime. Off road is a piece of cake here. Grass and rocks have no effect on the quality of the ride. I have been repeatedly trying to go up a curb but just can't seem to get it. The wheel hits and I go flying forward. I think this is because the unit is so heavy and I'm not strong enough to grip it with my legs and really jump. 

4. App and features. The app sucks because it doesn't work for iOS. I had to borrow an android to get it to work. Unacceptable and the company doesn't really tell you this. The android app works great and the ability to turn the beeps off is fantastic. 

5. Speed. So I bought the HS version. It says it can go 40km but the fastest I've managed to go is 28. It's hard to describe, but the unit feels like it fights you when you want to go faster. And I don't mean a tilt back. It's really hard to imagine, but putting your feet forward to accelerate is hard. I feel like I have to over lean in order to go faster than 28kph. It's just weird. 

Overall, here's the verdict. If you're thinking about buying an EUC, this is the one you want. The ride smoothness between this and a 14 or 16 incher is night and day. I feel much safer on my msuper than any of the wheels I've ridden. There is plenty of power, and the pedals are comfortable. The battery pack is quite large at 850wh so you can ride for quite a while. 

Do yourself a favor and get this one as your next EUC. You won't regret it!

On 2/13/2016 at 0:54 PM, DR Seymour said:

image.jpg.6ae37a2846ff5c54da4270cf9e3833if this is the app you are using... use the  3 dots on the bottom right for options.

I don't have those 3 dots... How do we get around this?  

I actually started a thread just a little while ago because I can't use the app after connecting. 

JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

LONG PRESS the "app switch" Button!

So... coming from a 191, this is a HUGE change in riding style... I always kept my legs separated and the 191 would NEVER touch my legs, now I can't do anything without the MSuper pressing into my calves.. This is forcing me to change my riding style completely.  I'm not excited about that, but I welcome the opportunity to diversify my skills!

The 191 I could maneuver very nimbly among people.  Now this will take some work to get used too...  it's icy outside so it wasn't the best conditions, but I believe this MSuper will require me to actually lean with my body more, whereas the 191 I could tilt it up to 30 degrees without moving my body which allowed some very small radius turns while keeping my body upright, and now I have to throw this around or lean into and trust the machine will keep me up and not slip out.  I can't say it's good or bad, but it's different.  Being a bigger rider 6'4" 280lbs I could compensate and minimize the energy useage on the unicycle by using my legs and ankles more to steer... this is going to be an interesting transition!

11 hours ago, adhermes said:

Ok all, update. 

I have tried to keep my thoughts as unbiased as possible for this review update. 

First off, let me comment on the shell, as I got the carbon fiber shell. Except for the square areas that are on the left and right where your legs touch the unit, it is just basic plastic with a wrap on it. Which is fine but on the sides where your legs are its more of a fabric type carbon fiber which feels nice. 

There is a serious flaw though. You can't really air up the tire with a standard bike pump. There isn't enough clearance to fit the plug. They did cut out a small circular hole on the bottom to give you room to plug in the air pump but the hole is not big enough so it doesn't even matter. Filling up the tire is a big hassle so that's a mark against this unit. 

Thats my only con to this unit however. Let's talk about the positives:

1. Build quality is top rate. This unit is HEAVY and that makes it feel really well built. 

2. The pedals. Oh man the pedals. These things are huge and so comfortable. I put some industrial grip tape on both of them to really get good traction. 

3. The ride. So this thing rides a lot different from my ks14c. It's very stable. I think this is due to how much of your leg is actually touching the side of the unit. I noticed right away that I can maneuver this one just as well as my smaller unit. It does weigh a lot more, so it requires more effort, but you still can turn on a dime. Off road is a piece of cake here. Grass and rocks have no effect on the quality of the ride. I have been repeatedly trying to go up a curb but just can't seem to get it. The wheel hits and I go flying forward. I think this is because the unit is so heavy and I'm not strong enough to grip it with my legs and really jump. 

4. App and features. The app sucks because it doesn't work for iOS. I had to borrow an android to get it to work. Unacceptable and the company doesn't really tell you this. The android app works great and the ability to turn the beeps off is fantastic. 

5. Speed. So I bought the HS version. It says it can go 40km but the fastest I've managed to go is 28. It's hard to describe, but the unit feels like it fights you when you want to go faster. And I don't mean a tilt back. It's really hard to imagine, but putting your feet forward to accelerate is hard. I feel like I have to over lean in order to go faster than 28kph. It's just weird. 

Overall, here's the verdict. If you're thinking about buying an EUC, this is the one you want. The ride smoothness between this and a 14 or 16 incher is night and day. I feel much safer on my msuper than any of the wheels I've ridden. There is plenty of power, and the pedals are comfortable. The battery pack is quite large at 850wh so you can ride for quite a while. 

Do yourself a favor and get this one as your next EUC. You won't regret it!

Nice.

how did you measure 28 koh? Gotway app? Is there a tiltback? Which speed beep did you get to?  Thanks

36 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Nice.

how did you measure 28 koh? Gotway app? Is there a tiltback? Which speed beep did you get to?  Thanks

Gotway app. I turned off all beeps so I didn't get to any speed beep. I noticed no tilt back like the kingsong of IPS. It's hard to describe but the unit is a lot harder to get to go fast. I admit I'm skiddish after seeing my friend fall off and break his collar bone. I could probably push it much farther but I'm still a tad scared. 

26 minutes ago, adhermes said:

Gotway app. I turned off all beeps so I didn't get to any speed beep. I noticed no tilt back like the kingsong of IPS. It's hard to describe but the unit is a lot harder to get to go fast. I admit I'm skiddish after seeing my friend fall off and break his collar bone. I could probably push it much farther but I'm still a tad scared. 

Why not leave the last beep on to at least know where you are in relation to how fast the wheel thinks its going?

9 hours ago, Cloud said:

Why not leave the last beep on to at least know where you are in relation to how fast the wheel thinks its going?

this is what I did and it gives me a good feeling, because there is still enough room for nearly 5km/h.

Over-speed Alarm :
Once the speed reaches 23km/h, one beep per second, at 25 km/h, 2 beeps per second, at 28km/h, 3 beeps per seconds.

Let me start with "I love this unit The Msuper". I have noticed that it takes some getting used to to get it t go faster but I figured out if I just keep my legs straight and lean my whole body it really takes off, I have the 680 mid version. I am a bit nervous to push it untill I am a more skilled rider as I have only hit 21 kpm, that feels fast on the pavement. I also watched my friend break his collarbone too falling so I'm being cautious. After reading all the post about the shutdowns and injuries in general I purchased all the protective gear I needed ie: helmet ( full face...god I feel like a nerd...lol), gloves,wrist guards, knee pads and elbow pads. At first I felt dorky but you know what it gave me confidence to push it a bit. I'm going to go to a dirt bike track tomorrow hopefully so I can push it further and not worry so much about falling...we will see.....! My friend is legally blind and he has an Airwheel X8 as I do as well, so we went riding last night, I took my X8 and it was like  going from a Cadilac to a Kia..no offense intended I couldn't wait to go back home and get my Msuper. I'm so greatful for this forum as I have learned so much info and insight cause I'm the type to just get on and go but I understand so much more and I believe it has made me more safe. With that said does anybody have a suggestion as to what temp we should stop riding and give the unit some time to cool off to avoid a shutdown due to high temp or should I not concern myself with this. It is cool here in Texas now but our summers are brutal. I also filled my tire to 40 psi, and I love how it feels...any thoughts about that? Thanks again to my friends here for you have helped me so much. I wish there was someone here in a San Antonio Texas to ride with.

@DR Seymour Regarding the PSI thing...  I have only been on 1 EUC (IPS 191 aka LHOTZ), and I was recently told from the videos I posted that my PSI was VERY low!  I was very comfortable on it, and even learned out to jump up and down high curbs last weekend, so I was very used to how it felt.  Now I just received my MSUPER on Friday with 20psi, so I filled it to 45psi (based on the limit) and rode it to work this morning.  DID NOT LIKE THE FEELING!  It felt like I was riding on rims of a bike!  I dropped the PSI to about 40, and it was much more comfortable, so I am a big fan of the lower PSI, it absorbs more bumps and is easier on the knees.  I'm sure i'm sacrificing some mileage, but with the 680wh, it's not a huge concern anymore ;)

Also i'm riding on snow and sleet here so I think the lower PSI is required to minimize slippage.  

Archived