Is going down Stairs Ok? (Any type of wheel) Any thoughts?

Dimitri

Hey Everyone,

I have an Gotway mcm5 v2. I seen people going down stairs on their wheels(all sorts of wheels). Is it bad for the wheel going down stairs. Because if its not bad for the wheel I'm excited to go down those stairs. Maybe my wheel is not good for the stairs but I'm wondering if its good for any wheel.  

Any thoughts?

I'd look at it like driving your truck down a rough dirt road. Is it going to explode into pieces after the first pothole? No. Are you going to end up doing more maintenance after a few hundred or thousand potholes? Yes. If you are the kind of person that wants a quiet/perfect wheel and doesn't want to be opening it up and fixing stuff I wouldn't hit hundreds of stairs simply for sport. OTOH if you love riding stairs and you don't mind working on your wheel go for it. You paid for it. You should enjoy it anyway you like [within reason].

I'm a perfect wheel guy. So I'll ride my EUC off curbs or down a couple stairs when they are on my route, but I am not going out looking for them to hit for laughs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

Knock yourself out. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

xD I laughed - Knock yourself out. Why metaphorically? Why not literally? :D

On topic: Ofc it isn't to good for the wheel.. Especially if you are on heavier side 90+kg. I would love to go down stairs, like everyone i bet. But you may damage the wheel.. That's why i don't do that. Heck i don't like jumping of "big" curbs even. Because i'm pretty heavy guy.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Yes, rider "size" matters a lot :D but also speed versus size of stairs.  The more speed, the  less bumpy.. or so.

This is a little the same: I found out, that riding over these "animal grate" ( whats the right word?)  at about 20 kmph / 12 mph

just results in a slight buzzing feeling in the wheel. Going slower generates more and more vibrations - until at 5 kmph (walking speed) , its nearly impossible to stay on the

pedals ^_^ 

nmjk.jpg

jnmjk.jpg

jjnmjk.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robse said:

animal grate

We call them ‘cattle grids’, used where a field entrance or driveway is not closed by a gate but the animals cannot readily walk out through the entrance because of the grid preventing them. I note that yours is at the entrance to a ‘dyrehave’ (deer park, or wildlife area). Mvh, fra Skotland

Edited by Freeforester
  • Thanks 1

The first thing you do is to mount a 2.5in tire on that wheel. 

Consider modding the shell a bit and fitting a 3in tire. I've heard that it supports it with a bit of modification. 

Then you can do more with the wheel. Like go down some steps etc more harmlessly.

21 hours ago, Dimitri said:

Hey Everyone,

I have an Gotway mcm5 v2. I seen people going down stairs on their wheels(all sorts of wheels). Is it bad for the wheel going down stairs. Because if its not bad for the wheel I'm excited to go down those stairs. Maybe my wheel is not good for the stairs but I'm wondering if its good for any wheel.  

Any thoughts?

An EUC is an electronic device that will drop you if any component of the self-balancing system fails. Unlike multi-wheeled vehicles, the failure is not graceful.

Impacts and vibrations are generally not good for electronics.

The battery pack has dozens of spot welds. If any one of them becomes loose, it will cause the cell to become unbalanced and potentially lead to fire.

The inner shell of the MCM5 is made of cheap plastic bolted around metal hangers. Repetitive impacts weaken this connection.

Pedal rods, if bent, can be very difficult/impossible to remove from the pedal hangers, requiring drilling or replacement.

Rims, once dented should be replaced. Inflate your tire to a higher pressure to protect the rims.

If you have an early version of the MCM5 v2 that shipped with the 2.125-inch tire, then the shell clearance from the ground is very small. I've scraped it on small driveway curbs. Later batches shipped with a 2.5-inch tire and have more clearance for curbs/stairs.

As long as you understand the risks and are prepared to deal with the maintenance and consequences, then do whatever you want with your wheel.

Please disclose your stair riding activity if you ever decide to sell your wheel on the used market.

Edited by Asphalt
Added considerations for pedal rods, rims, and tire clearance.
  • Thanks 2