Anybody tried a light mesh jacket like this in summner?

The problem with that jacket is that it would need something over the top of it to stop it getting ripped to shreds in a crash, thereby negating it's breathability. Similar to the 'robocop' jackets that have plastic pads sewn into mesh. They have good protection on joints but it's all held together with flimsy mesh.

Far better to just get a proper mesh textile MC jacket. Proper abrasion resistance, the textile holds everything together securely and yet still breathes unbelieve ably well.  I swear by them for EUC use in the summer.

I use this one (Rev'It Airforce, purchased used for £40 on ebay):

Motorcycle Jacket Rev'It Revit Airforce White Size M White Jacket | eBay

But if you want something more casual looking, this one (Rev'It Eclipse) is excellent as well:

REV'IT! Eclipse Jacket | FREE DELIVERY | Infinity Motorcycles

All of my jacket cuffs fit over Flexmeters, just.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 4:15 AM, Planemo said:

The problem with that jacket is that it would need something over the top of it to stop it getting ripped to shreds in a crash, thereby negating it's breathability. Similar to the 'robocop' jackets that have plastic pads sewn into mesh. They have good protection on joints but it's all held together with flimsy mesh.

I understand all of this but as of now my summer gear is helmet, wrists, elbows, knees so I don't have road rash protection to start with. I've tried a mesh moto jacket but I don't ride at high enough speeds to keep cool on my Tesla. I'm mainly looking for joint protection. Road rash hurts like a mother f'er but it isn't usually permeant damage, unlike joint and spine damage.

I'm surprised, I can deffo feel air movement through mine no problem even at 10mph. If its super hot and speeds are low I sometimes run it with the main zip fully undone which still gives abrasion protection to most of my upper and crucially still keeps the joint protection where it should be in the event of a crash.

If a mesh MC jacket is still too hot for you but you still want shoulder/elbow/back protection then the best compression jacket you can afford is the only option I guess, but I've used and still have the Nukeproof Critical but honestly dont feel they are any cooler than a mesh MC jacket and I stopped using it because I couldn't trust it to hold together even at a 20mph asphalt crash.

Edited by Planemo

On 4/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, I_Must_Bust said:

https://www.amazon.com/WICKED-STOCK-Potomac-Protective-Armored/dp/B082H45KST/ref=psdc_404847011_t2_B07MXPHFPP?th=1

Looking for something light and breathable that I can take on and off easily in summer. I'm wondering if anybody's tries something like this and if it plays nice with wrist guards

I've heard good things about the Icon Field Armor Compression Shirt before, essentially what you linked but it's made of real materials and isn't a knockoff. https://rideicon.com/gear/mens/field-armor/field-armor-compression-shirt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

Road rash hurts like a mother f'er but it isn't usually permeant damage, unlike joint and spine damage.

Yes, usual road rash is mostly pain. It can also be really severe. The damaged skin can get a bacteria infection from dirt. This can even lead to a limp amputation or death. Large damaged area makes it more prone to infection.

I use an Olympia mesh jacket with d30 inserts for shoulders/elbows/back. It breathes really well, but of course you melt when you stand still. I also have their pants and they breathe well also. They zip together. Somewhat form fitting, but not as well as my aerostich or Scott evo knees of course. Can't be too tight if you want it to breath, but the looser it fits, the more likely padding will move.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

There are mesh jackets that seem both breathable and are abrasion resistant (with proper ratings and certifications). The knox urbane seems a perfect exanple. It's not cheap and the fit is slim but you can use it throughout the year by layering. Note that the current Mk2 version is AA rated, while the older Mk1 is A rated. The latter seems sufficient for 95% of EUC use cases (i.e. not going very-very fast). Better abrasion resistance means a coarser thicker mesh -- less comfortable and breathable. So a garment with A rating looks like the sweet spot for EUC summer riding.

• Like 1

If not moving fast enough to keep cool....

Maybe simply apply water to the mesh liberally.

Water evaporating removes a lot of heat.

Drink fountains, water taps, along route, would save having to carry a bottle.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

I've heard good things about the Icon Field Armor Compression Shirt before, essentially what you linked but it's made of real materials and isn't a knockoff. https://rideicon.com/gear/mens/field-armor/field-armor-compression-shirt

Thanks, I'll check that out.

12 hours ago, Paul A said:

If not moving fast enough to keep cool....

Maybe simply apply water to the mesh liberally.

Water evaporating removes a lot of heat.

Drink fountains, water taps, along route, would save having to carry a bottle.

I can't tell if this is a joke but I would like not to ride around wet. Especially since I like to go in and out of stores etc

17 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

14 hours ago, yoos said:

There are mesh jackets that seem both breathable and are abrasion resistant (with proper ratings and certifications). The knox urbane seems a perfect exanple. It's not cheap and the fit is slim but you can use it throughout the year by layering. Note that the current Mk2 version is AA rated, while the older Mk1 is A rated. The latter seems sufficient for 95% of EUC use cases (i.e. not going very-very fast). Better abrasion resistance means a coarser thicker mesh -- less comfortable and breathable. So a garment with A rating looks like the sweet spot for EUC summer riding.

These looks like good options to try, thanks!

1 hour ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I can't tell if this is a joke but I would like not to ride around wet. Especially since I like to go in and out of stores etc

Getting yourself wet and staying hydrated are 2 legitimate strategies to keep cool used by motorcyclists. Consider getting a motorcycle bladder and filling with ice water to keep your back cool as well. I've been thinking about attaching one to my backpack for that purpose, with the armor I wear my back gets hot. Maybe I can squeeze it under my armor, that would be amazing

1 minute ago, TantasStarke said:

Getting yourself wet and staying hydrated are 2 legitimate strategies to keep cool used by motorcyclists. Consider getting a motorcycle bladder and filling with ice water to keep your back cool as well. I've been thinking about attaching one to my backpack for that purpose, with the armor I wear my back gets hot. Maybe I can squeeze it under my armor, that would be amazing

Yeah I seen those bladders at Walmart yesterday and thought that would be perfect for euc riding 🤘🏻🙃👍🏻

https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Arctic-Ice-Vest-Women/dp/B08B7HFRFV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=19DPS5GESYJJJ&keywords=ice+vest&qid=1649472849&sprefix=ice+vest%2Caps%2C981&sr=8-6

Alphacool Ice Vest for Men and Women Adjustable Cooling Vest with Ice Packs

If plastic zip lock bags are used instead, the ice can be replenished easily during a ride.

eg: from a self serve, soft drink dispenser at a McDonalds.

61GM8MMhk+L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

710cdfjqPkL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61wIIrsJ9sL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61nuUpVVH+L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81sXma-7-4L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Evs g7 body armour is the way to go for heat.U look like a stormtrooper but u get plenty of airflow and impact coverage.This is my offroad armour mainly .Asphalt requires a jacket as i tend to ride faster but they are interchangeable according to conditions!ATGATT!

11 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Evs g7 body armour is the way to go for heat.U look like a stormtrooper but u get plenty of airflow and impact coverage.This is my offroad armour mainly .Asphalt requires a jacket as i tend to ride faster but they are interchangeable according to conditions!ATGATT!

Yeah, I was looking at some armor but would like to avoid the stormtrooper look so as not to draw quite so much attention. I usually wear a hoodie with aramid and d30 similar to lazyrolling when weather permits.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:28 AM, Planemo said:

I'm surprised, I can deffo feel air movement through mine no problem even at 10mph. If its super hot and speeds are low I sometimes run it with the main zip fully undone which still gives abrasion protection to most of my upper and crucially still keeps the joint protection where it should be in the event of a crash.

If a mesh MC jacket is still too hot for you but you still want shoulder/elbow/back protection then the best compression jacket you can afford is the only option I guess, but I've used and still have the Nukeproof Critical but honestly dont feel they are any cooler than a mesh MC jacket and I stopped using it because I couldn't trust it to hold together even at a 20mph asphalt crash.

Hm maybe my jacket is just garbage for ventilation then. Might try out a different one.

• 1 month later...

I have a textile mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back protection.  Air flows well everywhere but the back protection.  It has cordura reinforced elbows and shoulders.  It gets hot if not moving, but feels good once moving.  

I feel like I wan't hard plastic outside on the elbow/forearm and shoulder areas to slid out a crash better.  I've been considering the Alpinestars Bionic Action Jacket or the Leatt 6.5 Body Protector.  I'm just not sure if they will be any cooler or if they will hold up as well over time as my mesh moto jacket.  

I've started searching for a mesh moto jacket with hard plastic elbows and shoulders.  Haven't quite found something I like yet.

Can anyone chime in re: the Alpinestars vs Leatt mentioned above?

I started wearing a Spidi Tronik Net this summer (I was initially hunting a Revit Eclipse or Icon Mesh AF but the Spidi was deeply discounted and offers great street cred visibility with the yellow accents). It can get hot when stationary but ventilation is sufficient as soon as you exceed 20mph. The fit is not perfect for me [I got the XL, suggested by the size sheet]: the sleeves are way too long [seems a standard issue with mc jackets: designed to best fit a person sitting with arms outstretched] and the shoulder armor seems to sit in a slightly weird place: a bit shifted towards the back. Perhaps this is also due to the "sitting on a bike" fit?]. The other problem is that I wear a backpack which blocks the back mesh panel and overheats my back. I often lift it with my hands while riding to let some air through. I should probably get a backpack with suspended back panel for summer.

6 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Can anyone chime in re: the Alpinestars vs Leatt mentioned above?

I was considering the Bionic Tech V2 (which wrongway also started wearing) -- it's sleek and stylish in a way, looks well-ventilated and can perhaps be layered with a down parka for winter commutes. The top-of-the-line Leatt MX armor looks very bulky to me, I was considering the stealthier AirFit and AirFlex series. The AirFit Hybrid seems like a nice compromise: low profile but with hard sliders.

I prioritized a mesh mc jacket in the end because a) they are much cheaper than nice MX armor, b) seem easier to take on and off c) offer abrasion resistance which is important since I ride 80% asphalt. I also suspect that the fabric/mesh parts of MX armor might tear on a crash and I intend my gear to survive multiple medium crashes :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yoos said:

The AirFit Hybrid seems like a nice compromise: low profile but with hard sliders.

The airfit hybrid is another that I have been considering.  It offers the same protection as the Alpinestars Bionic Action Jacket, but costs quite a bit more.  

Now I'm wondering if there is a way to add hard plastic armor to the elbows and forearms of my mesh moto jacket...

I love my Wicked Mesh shirt especially for hot weather riding, when even a lightweight motorcycle jacket is too much. It is super breathable and very well made.

It is very flattering and should attract glances from (jealous or interested) admirers. :lol:

The pads are removable and can be replaced with level 1 or 2 D3O pads also available on Amazon.

I would recommend a size smaller than what you would normally wear so it fits more like a compression shirt in order to keep the pads from shifting out of place.

The sleeves are longer than a fitted shirt and the mesh will stretch without strain.

I'm selling mine - see topic in the Private Sales forum.

It fits me well, but I lost weight and need a size small now. See photo at link below.

https://imgur.com/HLhps4y