Is suspension a "game changer"?

Vam Monaco

Back in the two-wheel world, I've always said that CARS are the biggest safety threat, but on an EUC, I'm finding that it's shit in the road, like bumps and potholes that's trying to kill me. Alas, we have a ton of that in New Orleans and I'm wondering how much of a difference a wheel with suspension would make. I'm pretty good at mapping out the streets I travel in my head, but there's always new stuff in the road like debris. Do I need a wheel with suspension? How much better is it?

Hi, a wheel with suspension is a comfort. My choice is a wheel in real touch on the road, no approximate touch, here is my security, about me. Success is equal for the first, because some manufacturers propose new models without suspensions.

I’ve only ridden a suspension wheel, but the streets where I live are unbelievably crappy. I couldn’t imagine riding them without it. I’ve been a cyclist my whole life and to me it’s the difference between riding a road bike versus a mountain bike with shocks. Both are doable, but one will be more comfortable and save your a$$ over unforeseen obstacles. Mine already has. 

• Upvote 2

I concur.  I have ridden my KS 18L and my V11 to the same destination, but I have to actually change my route for the 18L to only go on smooth roads.  The v11 allows me to go on any road at speed, while the 18L was limited to 12mph on some parts of the bad road.  The v11 is safer and easier.  

I also agree that the 18L is better if the surface is smooth. I feel way more connected and in control on the 18L. If your route isn't too bumpy I would go 18L or 18XL all day. 

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I will look into suspension when it's available on more wheels. It's still kind of young. 

I never go offroad. My rides are 99% commute basically. So whatever it is, it better be road optimized, lightweight etc.

Where are the 16in suspension wheels? 

I'd love a wider tire than 3in. Not 5in but a bit wider. 

Will a high quality shorter travel suspension always outcompete a low quality long travel suspension?

First I'd like us to unite on a suspension type, then offer 3 different travel lengths. From there the reviews should be able to do the rest. Give the riders the options, then we can decide. :D

I almost wonder if there's more to the inmotion smoothness than just the suspension.  Like the motor feels smoother and is certainly quieter than all my other wheels. Also the fat street tire is super quiet and I'm sure smooths out imperfections.  

I went from v8f to v10f to 18L to v11.  I agree that going back to my other wheels after riding the v11 feels harsh, but there are things about my 18L that I still like better than my v11.  I feel way more connected to the road and wheel (I know that's a vague statement).  I like carving with my 18L alot more. I like the lower pedal position and lighter weight.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Will a high quality shorter travel suspension always outcompete a low quality long travel suspension?

The V11 shows that low quality, and low to medium travel suspension are enough for EUCs. The human legs and thick, air filled 3 inch tires are already excellent shock absorbers and sufficient for all small sttuff. Suspension is really just needed for the biggest bumps, potholes and roots that can throw you off the wheel. The V11 suspension works just fine for that, even if it has a lot of unsprung mass.

The King Song suspension is too bulky, too heavy, too complex and too vulnerable and exposed in case of a crash. And according to some reviews I have seen it doesnt even seem to work all that well despite having no high friction air seals.

For my aka "heavy" person i prefer no suspension EUC good inflated tire can handle many road imperfection.

And gold rule what is not on EUC this cant broke benefit is lower weight.

My experience is V11 S20 on demo days for me no dealbraker i am"clasic" EUC fan.

Maybe is just my use i no ride extreme road no jumping or any crazy stuff. Mostly bikeline or asphalt rider here.

Good PSI with good tire is enouch confort for me and dont forget useles noise what suspension mechanism make.

For me all spuspension EUC is now in alpha/beta stage and i no want give 2500+/eur/dollar be test rider.

When i see suspension EUC what unmaintranced make 7000+ Km i start belive market is ready for suspension EUCs but in actual state suspension EUC is just SCI-FI.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 3:58 AM, varamontelo said:

Hi, a wheel with suspension is a comfort. My choice is a wheel in real touch on the road, no approximate touch, here is my security, about me. Success is equal for the first, because some manufacturers propose new models without suspensions.

That sounded like some Confucius shit... But alas, I don't understand.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2022 at 4:53 AM, bracky72 said:

Ignorance is bliss. I’ve never tried a suspension wheel and don’t feel the need for one. I prefer a simpler lighter weight higher performance wheel. 

Yeah, but do you like in Pothole County?
Everyone I see cruising 45+ MPH, their on pristine paved roads

I’m good with the low 30s mph. :)  And I’ve been riding motorcycles for a long time. It’s survival to analyze the approaching road surface. So I do my best to avoid obstacles. I completely understand the advantage of a suspension. But I really enjoy the simplicity of pedals clamped to a wheel axel.