Jump to content

Opinions Required - New Smart Electric Unicycle


Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I already posted these in the private sales, but this topic has nothing to do with sales. I just want your honest opinion. Take a look at the below pics and let me know what you think of these models. Would you like these more than the current unicycles? Do you have any questions in particular? Would you be interested in one?  Anything you can think of, please ask away. 

 

Thanks.

Q3 1.png

Q4 - Easy Run 1.jpg

Q5 1.png

Q6 2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ezee-Ryders said:

Take a look at the below pics

Liking the pics is not something that you would expect really. Give us more info - size, specs, price range, etc.

Otherwise, the pics are nice ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DS said:

Liking the pics is not something that you would expect really. Give us more info - size, specs, price range, etc.

Otherwise, the pics are nice ;)

The pics are actually from the manufacturer but soon we'll have real non-photoshopped or improved pics. 

Here's the specs. The order is the same as the pics:

Q3 - 1499.99$ USD:

Tire Size: 17 inch
Battery: Samsung Lithium-ion
Frame: Aluminium alloy
Motor: 500W Brushless
Voltage: 48V
Current: 6.5A
Max. Climbing: 30 °
Charge time: 1.5H
Mileage: 30KM
Max speed: 35KM/H
Max. Load: 130KG
Colors available: Black, Orange

 

Q4 - 1499.99$ USD:

Tire Size: 23 inch
Battery: LG Lithium-ion
Frame: Aluminium alloy+PC
Motor: 800W Brushless
Voltage: 48V
Current: 6.5A
Max. Climbing: 30 °
Charge time: 1.5H
Mileage: 35KM
Max speed: 35KM/H
Max. Load: 120KG
Colors available: Blue, Black, Green, Yellow

Q5 - 2299.99$ USD:

Tire Size: 28 inch
Battery: Lithium-ion
Frame: Aluminium alloy
Motor: 800W - 1200W Brushless
Voltage: 48V
Current: 6.5A
Max. Climbing: 25 °
Charge time: 3H
Mileage: 25-30KM
Max speed: 20-40KM/H
Max. Load: 125KG
Colors available: Orange with black and white

Q6 - 2499.99$ USD:

Tire Size: 24 inch
Battery: Lithium-ion
Frame: Aluminium alloy
Motor: 800W-1200W Brushless
Voltage: 60V
Current: 6A
Max. Climbing: 30 °
Charge time: 3H
Mileage: 35KM
Max speed: 30KM/H
Max. Load: 125KG
Colors available: Red and black

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something's fishy here... either the current-values aren't right or the motor powers aren't right. Q6 for example, with batteries at 60V nominal & 6A discharge, could only provide 60V * 6A = 360W of power.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly why I asked for your opinions. Since it's a new product, I want to get all the info and get back to the manufacturer for more details or to see if they can improve these models. @Chriull, I know you initially said you're not interested in these, but you have to admit, the idea seems pretty good, especially if the manufacturer will end up improving their product. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Large tires might give more speed (longer distance per one round of turning), at the expense of torque. And the 6A-values could be charging currents. Still I'd like to know more detailed battery specs (cell manufacturers & model numbers / amount of battery packs / total watthours). I might try adding saddle & handlebars to this to see how it rides:

lTAggL4.jpg

For the record, the battery packs on that are 60V nominal with 40A contiuous / 80A (manufacturer recommended) maximum discharge = 2.4kW (2400W) continuous / 4.8kW (4800W) max ;)  Just for comparison to the 6A values on those... :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, esaj said:

Large tires might give more speed (longer distance per one round of turning), at the expense of torque. And the 6A-values could be charging currents. Still I'd like to know more detailed battery specs (cell manufacturers & model numbers / amount of battery packs / total watthours). I might try adding saddle & handlebars to this to see how it rides:

lTAggL4.jpg

For the record, the battery packs on that are 60V nominal with 40A contiuous / 80A (manufacturer recommended) maximum discharge = 2.4kW (2400W) continuous / 4.8kW (4800W) max ;)  Just for comparison to the 6A values on those... :P

They're produced in China so for now i can't get you the information since pretty much all of China is closed for their Spring Festival/New Year. I know on two of these models, the batteries are Samsung but not sure what the amp limits are. As soon as the manufacturer is back, i can get all the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those units are in a different category than our EUCs.

If I guess that their road range is basically the same as of the EUCs, then why do you need a seat? It makes the unit bigger which means you can't take it in the bus/train, will not fit in small cars trunk, will not fit under your chair/table in the coffee/restaurant, you'll be not tolerated in a busy pedestrian sidewalks...

Anyway, some will like them, some will buy them, the final word has the king Free Market :)

Edited by DS
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DS said:

Those units are in a different category than our EUCs.

If I guess that their road range is basically the same as of the EUCs, then why do you need a seat? It makes the unit bigger which means you can't take it in the bus/train, will not fit in small cars trunk, will not fit under your chair/table in the coffee/restaurant, you'll be not tolerated in a busy pedestrian sidewalks...

Anyway, some will like them, some will buy them, the final word has the king Free Market :)

Actually, just by looking at the pictures, there might not be much else than power button ("ignition lock", looking at the keys) and lights on the "top-side", likely the motor driving / balance logics are similar to EUCs, so you could just remove the saddle & handle-bar, make something to attach the power button & lights on and use it like an EUC? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, esaj said:

and use it like an EUC

Then it's a different story, something like seat upgradable EUC, that could be an idea for the manufacturers ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, esaj said:

Actually, just by looking at the pictures, there might not be much else than power button ("ignition lock", looking at the keys) and lights on the "top-side", likely the motor driving / balance logics are similar to EUCs, so you could just remove the saddle & handle-bar, make something to attach the power button & lights on and use it like an EUC? ;)

The "self-balancing" technology is the same. Essentially these are just oversized EUCs with a saddle. The Chinese are not the first to make this. It was actually first designed in the States but the original model is almost double the weight, half th speed and half the mileage (if you rely on the specs from the manufacturer). Also, double the price (original design at 5300+ USD)

Edited by Ezee-Ryders
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others have said, the specs stand out like a sore thumb.

For example, compare the 17" model with the Gotway or KingSong 18" 'traditional' models. In fact, even the top of the range model is lower specified than the above 18" wheels, yet (apparently) has higher performance (so Chinese performance figures then:-) ). Price wise they also compare unfavourably.

Certainly the 24" model would be a promising off-road machine with better motor/battery specification. As it stands I don't believe it would have e true range and power needed for off-road?

Within towns the extra weight/size/price would all be disadvantages, My 14" wheel is higher specification and fits in a small locker at work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ezee-Ryders said:

Would you like these more than the current unicycles?

Like Keith said, it seems to me that the best attributes of the Wheel are not realized in this format: there are none of the practical advantages of being able to stow it under a seat, cool-factor, sensation of speed, maneuverability, versatility to be able to transition from the side-walk to cycle route or road, your hands are not free, & of course the price to spec ratio. It's a difficult sell, not only for the principle reason of lack of suitable places to use—too slow for the road & too large & obtrusive for pavement use.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a similar design but much better looking that floated around on the net a few years ago. If you plan to do something commercially with these it might be good to check out who has the designer rights to it.

Apart from that, it's no different than an EUC but with added comfort stuff = weight => reduces payload and reduced flexibility

It only makes sense if they target a niche in the motorcycle market, for travel that takes longer (>1h) where more weight is adequately offset by higher speeds (>25KmH) and longer range (25Km), a

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll share my point of view on these things and the reason i think they could be interesting. 

 

I live in Montreal, Canada and because of the long winters we have here, the gov decided to help people enjoy the summer as much as possible. Because of that, we have hundreds of km of bike paths that go through downtown, the old city, the suburbs and outside the city. If you want to venture outside the city, there are "pitstops" created for people to either take a break or enjoy a picnic. These places have running water, electricity, bathrooms. So for someone that would like to visit the old city or go for a picnic. These models could be interesting.

At the same time, if you have someone in the States, in Florida or California, these would be pretty awesome to ride on the boardwalk. 

 

So we're not looking at these as daily transportation necessarily but more for leisure activities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an afterthought, about the handle bar in the middle: please make sure to have some nice cheerleaders ready when one of your customers participating in these leisure activities has a 'face' plant when the EUC has a shutdown.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3F

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

Just an afterthought, about the handle bar in the middle: please make sure to have some nice cheerleaders ready when one of your customers participating in these leisure activities has a 'face' plant when the EUC has a shutdown.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3F

You can have the same faceplant with a normal EUC. Although with a handle, you can use your hands to stabilize the device and quickly put your feet on the floor without worrying about the device falling...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one believe that there is a huge market niche for these machines. These look really cool and much more substantial than eucs. They provide conform comparable with motorcycles, give an illusion of safety and added stability. The handlebar gives a feeling of stability and perceived safety. People buy crazier things to look cool. Yes these are not oeasily portable, but we should get out of the euc mentality. The potential customer for these is not your regular euc rider.These need to be positioned in the market the right way and they will fly.

Now for these to work, the specs are nowhere near what they need to be. This is why most people in this thread perceive these as  clumsy overweight , oversized euc with a seat and a handlebar - these are not eucs, well maybe they are now...but to be marketed right, they should not be associated with stand -on eucs...and not directly compared to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cloud but where would these ride? If they're "electric motorcycles" then they need a lot more power, speed, and range plus they'll need to be registered and the operator will need to be licensed. Given their size, weight, and those big kickstand things sticking out the front, I wouldn't want them anywhere near me as a pedestrian. It would make a lot more sense to put a second wheel on them and make them real electric motorcycles, so you wouldn't need to waste power on balancing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

@Cloud but where would these ride? If they're "electric motorcycles" then they need a lot more power, speed, and range plus they'll need to be registered and the operator will need to be licensed. Given their size, weight, and those big kickstand things sticking out the front, I wouldn't want them anywhere near me as a pedestrian. It would make a lot more sense to put a second wheel on them and make them real electric motorcycles, so you wouldn't need to waste power on balancing.

But this is exactly wht i said, the current specs will not work for them, yes they need more power, mybe a bit faster speed. Yes they may need to be registered and licensed if they are allowed on the road. Right now they could be considered something like electric motorcycle ( sort of like a super cool upgraded electric scooter or electric bike, like almost a motorcycle). Yes they would be either on the road, or more likely off road as a recreational bike, local or gated residential communities, etc, but you re right - not really on sidewalk. These will not be used the sme way eucs are.

pricing hs to be figured out, right now the market is weird , we are spending fortunes on pieces of plastic that should cost 3-4 times less - great opportunity for distributors though but may be short lived, unless they get established across the board. The prices for the electric transport will drop down and become more realistic. There will always be new vehicles for 2-3k but of higher quality, but right now, at $ 2500 buying a motorcycle or even a car looks much more practical and reasonable to me.

But if the quality / specs / looks of these motorcycle hybrids is improved, there will alwys be a niche for something that looks this cool.

Edited by Cloud
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Scooters are already hazardous objects on the roadway. More so with this One Wheeled Scooters. Imagine a highway full of these things that squeeze between lanes and cut you in front.

These will never be allowed on highway. Even if they were there will never be so many of them around to fill the highway. This niche is not forever , just for the next few years

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...