Midsized utilitarian urban commuter wheel purchasing decision.

My KS16S is having electronic issues, and my Gotway msuper is too fat and too old to be an urban companion. So, replacement time.

I think I've narrowed it down to the KS18xl and the Inmotion V10F. However, never having ridden either of these wheels, or any wheels recently except the Sherman, I simply can't make a decision as I don't know enough about the newer wheels.

I am 220 pounds. That alone probably determines and filters out a great number of wheels. My use case is urban commuting, fairly short ranges, with the wheel spending most of its storage time in an office or inside my car. It's all strictly utilitarian...I don't do pleasure rides with EUCs 'cause of my past history of crashing hard when doing pleasure rides.

The most important riding factor for me is a neutral wheel that can be floated without touching the sides. So something like the Sherman or the KS16x that requires hooking a knee on the outside to pull the wheel down into the turn is a hard no.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Inmotion V10F due to its beauty and evident steering neutrality, but also towards the KS18xl with its more powerful motor.

I can help you here.  I am 6'8" 225 lbs and I own both the v10f and the 18L.   My 18L is a much much MUCH more capable wheel, than my v10F.  I would choose the 18XL over a v10f for almost all situations. 

The V10f has a top speed of 24mph but I've experienced a top speed of around 22mph - and that was pushing it with a full pack.  I find going over 20mph feels sketchy on the v10f, but that might just be my weight. Once I get down under 60% battery, the pedals start tilting back at lower and lower speeds.  Practically, I find that I cruise at about 19mph on it and have a range of 15 to 20 miles.  Just a few months into riding and I have already found this to be limiting.  I really prefer to ride my 18L which very comfortably cruises at 23-24 mph and can visit 28mph briefly. I've only ever heard the beeps once at 29mph slightly uphill.  Also, the 18L just feels more stable at speed - I think due to the higher weight and larger diameter wheel.  

The only area in which the v10f wins is in light weight portability.  You should choose the v10f if you don't really need to go over 20mph and you end up needing to lug the thing up steps.  Also the v10f is more comfortable to ride and more nimble.  I use for cruising around when I dont need to go that fast - like on beach boardwalks.  You really forget you are riding a wheel while riding it - its just so smooth and easy to flick around.  

BTW. I am thinking of selling both my v10f and 18L. I could sell both or either to you....

Edited by wstuart

On 4/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, wstuart said:

I can help you here.  I am 6'8" 225 lbs and I own both the v10f and the 18L.   My 18L is a much much MUCH more capable wheel, than my v10F.  I would choose the 18XL over a v10f for almost all situations. 

The V10f has a top speed of 24mph but I've experienced a top speed of around 22mph - and that was pushing it with a full pack.  I find going over 20mph feels sketchy on the v10f, but that might just be my weight. Once I get down under 60% battery, the pedals start tilting back at lower and lower speeds.  Practically, I find that I cruise at about 19mph on it and have a range of 15 to 20 miles.  Just a few months into riding and I have already found this to be limiting.  I really prefer to ride my 18L which very comfortably cruises at 23-24 mph and can visit 28mph briefly. I've only ever heard the beeps once at 29mph slightly uphill.  Also, the 18L just feels more stable at speed - I think due to the higher weight and larger diameter wheel.  

The only area in which the v10f wins is in light weight portability.  You should choose the v10f if you don't really need to go over 20mph and you end up needing to lug the thing up steps.  Also the v10f is more comfortable to ride and more nimble.  I use for cruising around when I dont need to go that fast - like on beach boardwalks.  You really forget you are riding a wheel while riding it - its just so smooth and easy to flick around.  

BTW. I am thinking of selling both my v10f and 18L. I could sell both or either to you....

The V10F does look like a beautiful wheel, extremely narrow too. How much are you thinking of selling that one for?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 10:05 PM, LanghamP said:

The most important riding factor for me is a neutral wheel that can be floated without touching the sides. So something like the Sherman or the KS16x that requires hooking a knee on the outside to pull the wheel down into the turn is a hard no.

I'm pretty sure that depends only on the tire.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, LanghamP said:

So something like the Sherman or the KS16x that requires hooking a knee on the outside to pull the wheel down into the turn is a hard no.

I don't have to hook anything to turn my 16X...

On 4/3/2022 at 2:32 PM, wstuart said:

How much are you looking to sell them for? I may be interested.