Is there a need for a new forum section "Where to buy?" ?

Sounds like a great resource. Altho, it also sounds like it could be a source of headache. Who gets to decide who is a 'good seller' and who isnt? Who will be in charge of removing inflamatory remarks, as we know there will eventually be a sour customer. If the forum DID become a good reference, could the value of the information within, become utilized to enhance sales? Does the forum as a whole, stand to gain more than the responsibility this would create? Just figured I'd offer my typical 'negative' outlook on things for ya...

fwiw, ShanesPlanet is BY FAR the best seller. He's also been proven to be right about things, nearly half the time.:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Wasn't there a topic that basically turned into an eWheels love fest already? @ShanesPlanet has a good point... I can forsee moderation headaches on the horizon. Migraines.

Maybe one that listed sellers and people can react happy/sad, but no commentary?

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I see the utility of the idea but my negative thoughts are around the ease-of-use of those thousand post threads for each dealer. Thatll be tough to search through for newbies, and filled with banter posts that make the thread into fun rather than reference, and much harder to scour for info. 

My fantasy implementation of the idea would be:
• posters allowed only one post (a review) per dealer interaction.
• No replies to other people’s reviews in the megathread.
• some sort of forum widget to show the average of the ratings. 

And maybe there would be separate threads for purchasing and repair interactions?

idk. Im mostly venting because like in all forums the wealth of knowledge in megathreads is rendered less useful for reference due to banter. But hell, forum topics are still useful even if they are dilluted!

Edited by Richardo
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Who gets to decide who is a 'good seller' and who isnt?

Each customer does, which is how I think it should be.

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Who will be in charge of removing inflamatory remarks, as we know there will eventually be a sour customer.

Just like in the current system, the reader has the responsibility to assess and evaluate the feedback they read. The few flaming sour customers we’ve had so far are pretty obvious to the reader, no point in trying to clean them out.

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Wasn't there a topic that basically turned into an eWheels love fest already?

Seems obvious that the eWheels topic would indeed be a “love fest”, but in my books they deserve all the love they’d get. They are loved for important reasons; they prioritize the customer. If the new subforum would steer more buyers to eWheels, I see no harm in that, quite the opposite. Each customer steered to eWheels is a customer that will not get blown off in case of a warranty, and they will always be treated fairly.

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Maybe one that listed sellers and people can react happy/sad, but no commentary?

I was thinking about grades, but a grading system is too easy to abuse, and it could steer shopping decisions based on meaningless differences in the average score.

It would also remove the reader’s responsibility and even the possibility of assessing what they read.

Maybe people could react to the introductory first post of each dealer. That would reveal if there are any alarming warning signs about the seller. If there are, the buyer can read on to see what’s it about.

37 minutes ago, Richardo said:

I see the utility of the idea but my negative thoughts are around the ease-of-use of those thousand post threads for each dealer.

I don’t think it would go to that. People are not overly enthusiastic in reviewing their shops right now, a new subforum shouldn’t make reviewing into a hot topic that everybody would suddenly start doing. It would mainly just gather all the necessary information in one place.

My fantasy implementation of the idea would be:
• posters allowed only one post (a review) per dealer interaction.
• No replies to other people’s reviews in the megathread.

I think these are great ideas.

But hell, forum topics are still useful even if they are dilluted!

Exactly.

I wonder if the new sub forum could be omitted from any “Recent posts” list, notifications, etc. That way people wouldn’t accidentally treat the posts as a part of a discussion.

• Like 3

This is a very good idea because I see a lot of questions rising almost every day in different channels about where to buy and what your experience is, and so on. I am always happy to answer these queries, but unfortunately, I will not be able to answer everything due to time. There should be one place to get information - our loved forum. It could even be like a survey with justifications, and so on.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We don't necessarily need to have megathreads. In fact, the less megathreads, the better. In can be just another forum without extra structure (which also is less work for the mods;)).

There is a bit of overlap with the "Which electric unicycle to get?" where people might naturally ask where to buy in the same thread where they asked which EUC to get (which is perfectly fine!). But we want to keep that forum as it is, as it works very well like this.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

I see it causing problems as every wheel seller will have at least one customer that expects way too much. They want British Airways service for Easyjet money. They then use this new forum as a form of blackmail to get extra service. I can't see much good coming from it. Wouldn't it be better to have a simple list of sellers for each country and perhaps a comment from the moderators.

• 3 weeks later...