My wheel went in the river

Breadsticks

It was in there for about 10 seconds… it’s an ex.n. I’m sure boards are gone, is there any chance the motor is ok? Or is it pretty much given that it’s dead. 

is there anything I should do? Less than 500 miles on it. Fucking heart breaking 

• Sad 3

Fire Hazzard!!  First and most importantly understand the dangers of lithium batteries getting wet. Records show that batteries can burst into flames hours or even 6 months after getting wet. The fire is EXTREMLY difficult to put out. 

Sorry 

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't recommend this because of danger, but personally I'd cut open the heatshrink around the batteries and put them on a metal tray outside under the sun to dry. When they're REALLY dry you can measure the cells. If everything measures up you can try and power on a wheel with them. Don't just do a visual inspection to determine it's dry. When they look dry, leave them for another couple of hours. Spray isopropyl alcohol if needed. It repells water. Water can get into the tiny spaces like under the components etc. That water will take a very long time to evaporate.

Obviously the control board could be fried, but you could do the same with that. 

Don't reconnect anything (or recharge the packs) before it's dry and you've measured the that the cells haven't completely discharged past safe limits.

Don't charge or reconnect anything indoors.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you are really lucky you just need a new control board.

If you're unlucky you'll shortcircuit something trying to fix the wheel. OR there's hidden damage that causes a cutoff later on.

I have two wheels just in case one breaks, so I have something to ride on until it's fixed.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

I actually don't think you're in that big of trouble, but you do need to take absolutely everything apart and let them dry if there is to be even the slightest chance of salvaging components. A local rider that I ride with had a tesla v2 take a swim, and the wheel worked perfectly fine for a few months until corrosion killed the motherboard and motor. When they disassembled everything, they found that there was still water inside of the motor months after the accident. The packs themselves were very well sealed and actually didn't have any water ingress at all. This is of course a case by case basis and you'll have to do your own thorough inspection and risk assessment in order to determine if you're willing to take the loss or take the risk.

i like to look at these situations as learning opportunities:D 

if it was me id take it outside and disassemble the entire wheel but im comfortable working with electricity

just put on some rubber gloves open it up and disconnect the batteries

if the batteries are glued in, dont pry them out just cut the shrink wrap with an exacto to get the battery out of the wheel

if you dont understand where to make the cuts then dont do it, id do the cuts around the outside edge of the bms

i like to pretend im working on a bomb when im working with batteries, one wrong move and BOOM 

once the batteries are disconnected the capacitors might still have voltage in them

then its upto you if you want to push the on/off button to discharge them

i would, but thats me

your batteries are probably fine, motors probably fine but id be buying a new controller and rewiring everything, water travels inside the wires like liquid in a straw

main thing is get those batteries out of the wheel and out of your house til you can see if water got inside them

if you have an old kitchen stove  in the backyard, open the oven door and stick them in there and close the door

if your not comfortable opening the wheel up and have an old  stove in the backyard, put the whole wheel in the oven til you figure out what to do with it

Edited by goatman

Almost had the same thing happen to me once... luckily a big bunch of stinging nettles slowed it down long enough for me to be able to grab the handle. I had red welts on my hands for like six weeks afterwards to remind me to be more careful about what I lean my wheel against, LOL. 

Btw I seem to remember those welts healed without a trace in just two or three days when I was still a kid... <_<

Edited by mhpr262

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Euc isn't a Sea Scooter.

(To soon for a joke?):whistling:

Definitely, but I’m not sure that qualifies as a joke. Here, a bit more info on what happened.

I was riding along a single path that’s been a long time favorite. It’s nice packed sand/dirt and it’s obvious next to the river. I hadn’t taken my exn down it yet, and as I was riding I unexpectedly hit a super skinny spot in the path. It looked like damage was done on purpose, but as I got over, my pedal hit some dirt and knocked me down. I instantly got up only to watch my wheel take a huge fall and roll into the river.

I jumped down a 10 foot sand bank without realizing the height - i had just watched $3000 plop into a fucking moving body of water - and upon landing I absolutely destroyed my ankle. Then, I was stuck down there. My right arm was ripped off by a washing machine in a work accident. So after dragging the wheel to an area I was able to climb up, I physically could not lift it up out of this hole. I was over a mile from the closest street. 

Eventually some kid rode by on his bike, and he helped me get out of the hole. I then had to push it 1.2 miles, bent over and trying to keep it stable. I was literally crying my back hurt so bad. I finally made it to a road, and got a ride home. 

Yes, I tried calling for help. With my phone and my voice. I was very close to calling the non emergency police.

Now, my wheel with 500 miles on it is trashed. Minimum of a grand to fix it. And if the batteries are wet.. I might have to give up riding. 

So I’m probably a ways from laughing about it. Actually, it’s not a situation I will look back on and laugh. This really sucks.

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Breadsticks said:

Definitely, but I’m not sure that qualifies as a joke. Here, a bit more info on what happened.

I was riding along a single path that’s been a long time favorite. It’s nice packed sand/dirt and it’s obvious next to the river. I hadn’t taken my exn down it yet, and as I was riding I unexpectedly hit a super skinny spot in the path. It looked like damage was done on purpose, but as I got over, my pedal hit some dirt and knocked me down. I instantly got up only to watch my wheel take a huge fall and roll into the river.

I jumped down a 10 foot sand bank without realizing the height - i had just watched $3000 plop into a fucking moving body of water - and upon landing I absolutely destroyed my ankle. Then, I was stuck down there. My right arm was ripped off by a washing machine in a work accident. So after dragging the wheel to an area I was able to climb up, I physically could not lift it up out of this hole. I was over a mile from the closest street. 

Eventually some kid rode by on his bike, and he helped me get out of the hole. I then had to push it 1.2 miles, bent over and trying to keep it stable. I was literally crying my back hurt so bad. I finally made it to a road, and got a ride home. 

Yes, I tried calling for help. With my phone and my voice. I was very close to calling the non emergency police.

Now, my wheel with 500 miles on it is trashed. Minimum of a grand to fix it. And if the batteries are wet.. I might have to give up riding. 

So I’m probably a ways from laughing about it. Actually, it’s not a situation I will look back on and laugh. This really sucks.

Dam! After hearing the story i kinda feel your pain. Yeah losing 3000$ because of pedal scrape is so sad.

I even riding on smooth ground and see a ditch of little water slow down.. Because i'm scared - what if i lose balance and euc goes in there. Shit can happen. :(

Edited by Funky

2 minutes ago, Funky said:

Dam! After hearing the story i kinda feel your pain. Yeah losing 3000$ because of pedal scrape is so sad.

I even riding on smooth ground and see a ditch of little water slow down.. Because i'm scared - what if i lose balance and euc goes in there. Shit can happen. :( 

Shit DID happen. I’d definitely choose my route more carefully in the future, if I had a wheel, that is

1 minute ago, Breadsticks said:

Shit DID happen. I’d definitely choose my route more carefully in the future, if I had a wheel, that is

I would not even attempt riding off-road so close to a river.. That euc could go in there by a small rock bump, or me falling down. I better would chose another path at least 20m away from water. Each time i ride by a ditch, i watch how much water is there.. And think about how the euc could go in there..

34 minutes ago, Breadsticks said:

If you don’t mind- how much is insurance?

Where I live it is quite cheap. I have it in a seperate policy to my house insurance on just portable insurance cover. 

It’s only around $10 a month for my v11 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel for you @Breadsticks that was a horrible experience.

For later: I recommend what's often in my backpack, ready:
https://towwhee.com/products/towwhee-blue

63009252-Edit+Small.jpg?format=1000w

If it looks like if the environment is a bit sketchy and there's water downwards, I put it on. Probably not as often as I should, but it's still worth it.
Found on the WattsSingleTrack channel

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I feel for you @Breadsticks that was a horrible experience.

For later: I recommend what's often in my backpack, ready:
https://towwhee.com/products/towwhee-blue

63009252-Edit+Small.jpg?format=1000w

If I looks like if the environment is a bit sketchy and there's water downwards, I put it on. Probably not as often as I should, but it's still worth it.
Found on the WattsSingleTrack channel

Hey good idea. For me it's worth getting it for winter riding. As i'm riding near lake each day to job. Road may be slippery and lake isn't frozen. 10$ can save euc. Hook it to mine belt.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Im going to test this, it arrived and seems okay, I’ll test the weight sometime. 
rated 500lb… we shall see. 
looks okay, little pouch, red cord and carabiner I’d never trust.     

$8.63  37% Off | Mountain Bike Parent-Child Nylon Rally Rope Bicycle Elastic Tow Rope For Kids Outdoor Cycling Safety Equipment
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrtO0X4

• Upvote 1

73 pounds falling off a 10 foot cliff might have yanked me right over the edge, and then it would have continued on in the water. 

i honestly thought about this already, maybe making a bungee cord into a strap connecting ankle to handle. Need maybe 8 feet of slack line for safety and convenience. I need the material from those expanding hoses.

25 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

Im going to test this, it arrived and seems okay, I’ll test the weight sometime. 
rated 500lb… we shall see. 
looks okay, little pouch, red cord and carabiner I’d never trust.     

$8.63  37% Off | Mountain Bike Parent-Child Nylon Rally Rope Bicycle Elastic Tow Rope For Kids Outdoor Cycling Safety Equipment
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrtO0X4

Note that this one is a ripoff/clone with different characteristics. The AliExpress seller even stole towwhee's marketing material from their home page.

They might work but I wouldn't expect the same fine-tuned quality.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Breadsticks said:

73 pounds falling off a 10 foot cliff might have yanked me right over the edge, and then it would have continued on in the water. 

i honestly thought about this already, maybe making a bungee cord into a strap connecting ankle to handle. Need maybe 8 feet of slack line for safety and convenience. I need the material from those expanding hoses.

True, for a vertical cliff specifically the benefit/risk might not work out.
For most other situations probably yes (as seen in WattsSingleTrack's off-road experience: he would have lost countless wheels otherwise)

It's important that it's just the right length and (limited length) elasticity so the wheel stops right here with you instead of starting to roll-off and fall somewhere.

Edited by supercurio

20 minutes ago, Breadsticks said:

I would not put it on ankle, at speed you could pull/break your ankle.. If it gets yanked really hard. Also if there is a lot of lose hose it could go in wheel it self. +having wire dangling of feet would be nuisance.

Yeah if it's dropping from a cliff and you are really light, you could go over a cliff also. 

• Like 1

Yes indeed not around the ankle, it'll get you hurt, make you fall all sort of new ways: properly dangerous.
Notice how WattsSingleTrack uses it: wrapped around the hips so it makes it shorter (otherwise it would be too long and the wheel would fall too far).
I might suggest to not try to re-invent the wheel on this one ^_^

• Like 1