Inmotion V10 died on a steep uphill

Marcello

Hi everyone, 

Yesterday three months after the purchase of my V10, I decided to do a bit of off-road. However after less than 5 minutes the wheel stopped working while I was trying to go uphill. It was perhaps too steep for the wheel (and for me), so I stepped down, and the wheel turned on itself for some times before powering off, "as normal" I'd say. The wheel didn't power on immediately, so I waited for 15 minutes as states in the manual. I thought it was just a power cut-off with me demanding to much power in a short time.

However the wheel completely died and I had to carry it back home. I noticed that the wheel was way more difficult to move than before, with a lot of blockage.  Yesterday evening I connected the wheel to power supply, the wheel was able to connect and I was even able to run the diagnosis on the app, telling me that everything was ok. Then I took off the cable and tried if the wheel was able to power on on its own, and it didn't work. So I tried to plug the wheel again and unfortunately it didn't power on anymore.

Today I started to disassemble the wheel to see if there were some damages on the motherboard and the wheel in general. The motherboard seems ok, but interestly, when I disconnect the power cable of the wheel from the board the wheel doesn't have any blockage and runs freely.

So far I don't know what the problem is. I tried to disconnect and reconnect every cable going to the motherboard and it still doesn't work. Do you have any idea? I would like your insights before going ahead with the disassembling. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have no clue. So take it with grain of salt. Possibly dead motherboard. That's my guess. (Guess comes from the blocking wheel..)

Wait little bit, some more knowledgeable will help you out pretty soon.

Edited by Funky

Hi Marcello! Great descriptive post, sorry your wheel is down.

Everything indicates that one or several MOSFET burned, and the short circuit from the dead component(s) is making the motor hard to turn when it's connected to the board.
It's not supposed to happen, the wheel should say "overload, please get off" before getting into danger zone, therefore the cause was a defect.

Definitely the type of stuff covered by warranty.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi guys thanks for your quick answers, to give you some more info this the motherboard:

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-13-56-14.j

Here I indicate the cable which doesn't cause the blockage if disconnected.

My wife even managed to take a video at the exact moment in which the wheel stopped working! I don't know if I got off because of me or the wheel, since I was going very slowly. 

You can see the disappointment while I was trying to power it on....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-13-56-14.j

Here I indicate the cable which doesn't cause the blockage if disconnected.

Yep that's the motor phase connector, directly connected to the MOSFETs. 3 wires, 1 per phase.

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

My wife even managed to take a video at the exact moment in which the wheel stopped working! I don't know if I got off because of me or the wheel, since I was going very slowly. 

You can see the disappointment while I was trying to power it on....

Ah for sure. Sad to see a wheel self destruct by spinning out.
My V10F spun like that quite a few times while learning, but remained robust.

In a way it's best that the board died like that instead of on a bump while riding at 30km/h.

• Upvote 2

Thank you @supercurio for your answer, that's really sad indeed. Also the plastic covers on the sides broke a bit.

I love this wheel and I hope to get it covered by the warrancy, at least the motherboard. I contacted Inmotion, I'll keep you updated.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1