Is it legal to ride in aurora/chicago IL

Isaac719

I live in aurora near Chicago and just learned about EUC but I want to know if its possible to do that here before I buy one does anyone know if Its legal here or any other legal issues that could arise, also whats a good price range for a new EUC if i can ride here

Pretty sure if it isnt in the catwgory with electric scooters, it will be with all the non electric hobby transportation devices and applies same rules to euc. Here in Latvia its like that.    Anyways, just ask your own departmwnt of transportation or whatever its called and get a 100% sure ansver, i did that, took me less time than posting here and got an ansver with all the laws thats apply to euc.

Edited by quickbot

I don't know about Chicago/Illinois specifically but in the states they are usually:

Unregulated (illegal)

Classified as an electric scooter (unregulated/illegal in some states, legal with speed/motor power limits in others)

Classified as an electric mobility device and legal with speed and/or motor power limits.

Usually the speed and/or motor power limits are around 20mph and 750W motor.

Chances are in Chicago/all of Illinois it is one of those, but even if it is technically illegal it is rarely enforced, and you can join the local riding groups Facebook/telegram/whatever they use and ask if they've ever had problems with police before you invest in the hobby. Chances are none or very few of them have had problems with police, or we'd see posts talking about it on here or the public Facebook EUC groups. If you don't ride like an ass and ride safe I doubt you'll ever have problems with police, assuming they don't one day decide to crackdown on these like they do in the UK

I ride on the streets of Chicago about every day and have received no attention from the police. 

People here ride dirt bikes and quads through the city streets despite it being illegal. No one really cares, as far as i can tell. Ive never seen a cop pull over a dirt bike or quad  

I cant say how well this would generalize to the suburbs though. drivers are often hostile to bicyclists outside the city, and i assume that would carry over to any non-automobile?

3 hours ago, Richardo said:

I ride on the streets of Chicago about every day and have received no attention from the police. 

People here ride dirt bikes and quads through the city streets despite it being illegal. No one really cares, as far as i can tell. Ive never seen a cop pull over a dirt bike or quad  

I cant say how well this would generalize to the suburbs though. drivers are often hostile to bicyclists outside the city, and i assume that would carry over to any non-automobile?

I'm not in Chicago but I definitely see more angry/shit drivers in the suburbs than in the city. Even if I'm keeping up with traffic I've had 10x the amount of bad interactions in the suburbs than the city

• Like 1