Accident reporting

johrhoj

I am a happy commuter on my Ninebot One E+.

When reading (and seeing) about all the accidents, shutoffs etc. I start wondering how likely it is for my wheel to abandon me in any way ...

So every time an accident is reported on this forum, i suggest at least the following information to be present. This way we can maybe find the common problem, or the bad batch, or whatever:

Date of purchase
Model
Firmware version
Milage
Speed
Use of app (yes or no)
weather conditions
road conditions
battery charge
wear and tear

Did I forget something?

Also ... please report back to the forum on how the problem was solved, Was the malfunction explained? And what was the problem ... Could it be prevented?

I know that there are thousands of people riding their Ninebot without any problems. Reading about the accidents here can make you forget that. But every accident due to malfunction of the wheel is one to many. I am hoping we can find the pattern of the malfunctions or even prevent them. I will buy myself a new wheel in the spring, and if malfunctions are truly random for ninebots, i will surely buy another brand.

I kind of hope that this message reaches the people of Ninebot too, and that they will share any information they have about reasons for failure. The company might not want to talk about all malfunctions, because that is the way of companies ...

You also need to put in other known issues with the model which other riders are experiencing as well.

These manufacturers don't inform any of their riders, they have no way to communicate to them.

Only two manufacturers that I know do firmware updates for their wheels. Thats fastwheel and Ninebot. There have been quite a lot of Ninebot updates. I wonder if they are shooting themselves in the foot by updating so often?

Kind of a long list for an injured person to think about.

All EUC companies need to start implementing redundancy in their wheel and have the cpu let the user know when main mofset/etc. went out. Then again is this doable in a split second after one component fails before that wheel face plants you to the asphalt?

Here is my attempt at capturing all of this on Google Forms: http://goo.gl/forms/QExptra8hf

Take a look and see if there is anything else you think should be asked. Specific questions with multiple-choice, scales, or check boxes are best because it can automatically summarize the answers. Free-form text requires more work.

Fill in the data if you'd like, although I have a feeling we may end up clearing the data and starting again if the feedback asks for a lot of changes

Once you complete the form you'll get a link to the summary of answers, but here it is in case you don't want to fill it out:

https://goo.gl/3G2Mbr

Well at the moment there aren't any Ninebot-specific things on this list so we can use it for all brands. I can add an optional question for Ninebot firmware versions though since they have been the most troublesome. Do you have a full list of released versions?

1 hour ago, Gil said:

if I remember well : 1.2.2 1.2.3 1.2.4 1.2.6 1.2.7 1.3.5

1.2.6 was faulty. I do not remember of an 1.2.5.

Don't forget 1.3.0.  I'm still running this version no problems. I'll probably update to 1.3.5 one of these days.

EUC version: you'll have a hard time figuring this out, as comm about what has been changed when is not easy to find

EUC tuned, tweaked, repaired, refurbished, altered,...

new vs second hand (from dealer of private person)

tire pressure (measured after accident)

EUC restarts after accident: yes after pushing start button, yes after connecting to charger, no

battery capacity theoretical max

batt cap measured after the accident

battery voltage measured after the accident

In an ideal world, after each severe accident the EUC should be checked out by an independent reliable technician that runs a set of standard diagnostics and draws up a report,

The same should be done for pre-loved wheels, to avoid a killer wheel is passed on from one victim to the next....Again in an ideal world, but then in that case people would not sell dangerous devices to other people.

Reporting after an incident is ideal but there are many circumstances that the person who met the accident cannot recall the exact events prior and during the accident. like " it's all of a sudden". Please do not "overdrive" your EUC's for they are highly "unsafe".

I added a few of @Jurgen's suggestions and put in a catch-all field at the end. I hope people don't try filling in a big long story there.

After looking at all the firmware versions I decided to leave it as free-form text. Ninebot updates firmware frequently enough that it would become a maintenance headache. Plus having one field lets other models put their firmware version in the same place.

Since there aren't a lot of brands and new brands don't arrive that often, I decided to turn the Make field into a dropdown. That prevents people from misspelling Ninebot or Gotway. There's an Other for the oddball brands. Let me know if I missed any major brands, the list is already long and I was even thinking about taking some out.

http://goo.gl/forms/QExptra8hf

On 10 February 2016 at 11:45 PM, Gil said:

if I remember well : 1.2.2 1.2.3 1.2.4 1.2.6 1.2.7 1.3.5

1.2.6 was faulty. I do not remember of an 1.2.5.

I have Ninebot One C+ running 1.2.0 with no problems! (Inside there's a sticker with "E" in it, though...)

(The only issue I have is the pedals tilting forward when making right turns. Does not happen when making left turns. Really odd, and somewhat annoying! I've been considering 1.3.5 upgrade to see if the tilt-forward would disappear, but since it's working otherwise... why risk wrecking it.)

1 hour ago, HonestPizza said:

Accident: After riding for a coupe hours, the unit completely shut off between 10 and 15 mph. I was thrown to the pavement resulting in a severely broken collarbone. Spent the evening in the ER and had surgery 12 days later to have a plate and 10 screws inserted. Entire accident was caught on a helmet cam from a friend trailing me as well as from the GoPro attached to my unit. (Obviously cannot share those videos at this point for legal reason...)

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope for your fast recovery. Maybe the battery is low and the BMS cut off since you mentioned that you have been riding for a couple of hours.

This things keep on happening particularly with the Ninebot which is not good for their reputation. Proponents always argue that since Ninebot is the most popular, it is the most reported brand accident wise, and that the ratio of accidents compared to other brands should be considered. The question which ratio to consider?  People need to be very careful.

16 hours ago, HonestPizza said:

Date of purchase: January 19th, 2015
Model: Ninebot One E+
Firmware version: 1.3.5
Mileage: 35 miles
Speed: ~10mph
Use of app (yes or no): Yes
weather conditions: Clear and sunny
road conditions: Subdivision, clean road, no debris
battery charge: 100%
wear and tear: none

Ride settings: Hardness 0

Customization: New grip tape on pedals for increased traction, new tire, foam padding under pedals, official Ninebot One wheel stand attached to front

Experience: 20 years of extensive skateboard and snowboarding. 20+ miles on a friend's King Song wheel. Picked it up immediately with no falls or accidents

Accident: After riding for a coupe hours, the unit completely shut off between 10 and 15 mph. I was thrown to the pavement resulting in a severely broken collarbone. Spent the evening in the ER and had surgery 12 days later to have a plate and 10 screws inserted. Entire accident was caught on a helmet cam from a friend trailing me as well as from the GoPro attached to my unit. (Obviously cannot share those videos at this point for legal reason...)

Do you have a recommendation of where to get that done? I would like to have a diagnostic report run on mine to determine the cause of the shutoff.

Sorry to hear about your accident. These face plants are pretty nasty because you don't see (feel) it coming, the unit shuts down in a fraction of a second. Even with protective gear you can still have fractures, ruptures and sprains. Protective gear can only protect from direct impact there where the protection is, it doesn't protection other parts that receive the impact indirectly, or against torsion (f.ex. neck) for that matter.

At this point on the time line of EUC development I doubt if you'll find a true expert in EUC's that has not somehow an affiliation/bias towards a certain product and/or is a reseller himself.

If you are taking legal action, normally an 'expert' will be appointed by the court. If you have opened the unit yourself before that (or before the accident), it will all come down on you, so I strongly advise against doing this.

HonestPizza, I am sorry you got injured.  Sounds awful.  At the same time, you are precisely the reason I didn't get into business to sell these if your intent is to sue.  'If' you live in the United States, your only option would be to sue to importer/distributor.  Yet you know damned well that it isn't their fault, nor do they have any control over these units.  I am stating this because you indicated legal action above w/r to the posting of the video.

You are fighting a losing battle for sure.  You don't have the data, and there is no way to get the data.

I have asked to see your video and have not heard anything back.  Perhaps you should ride more conservatively next time.  As a general rule for general safety - Don't ride faster than you feel comfortable falling off.

• 4 months later...

Archived