How INEVITABLE is a crash?

Vam Monaco

Time and time again, I have read on forums and seen in YouTube videos that a crash is inevitable, it’s just a matter of time.  
There are some people who have said an EUC is the single most dangerous vehicle on the road… I have to say, that’s the best advice that I have ever been given because I’ve been super super extra careful and haven’t crashed yet.

No one ever said that to me when I mounted a Harley, JetSki, Vespa, four wheeler or a speedboat, but I wish they did because I’ve crashed them all… But not this one.

Is it possible that crashing is just a one-time newbie thing? For those of you experienced riders (who can do jumps and ride backwards and whatnot), have you crashed recently while riding normally?

Edited by Vam Monaco
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Vam Monaco said:

Time and time again, I have read on forums and seen in YouTube videos that a crash is inevitable, it’s just a matter of time.  
There are some people who have said an EUC is the single most dangerous vehicle on the road… I have to say, that’s the best advice that I have ever been given because I’ve been super super extra careful and haven’t crashed yet.

No one ever said that to me when I mounted a Harley, JetSki, Vespa, four wheeler or a speedboat, but I wish they did because I’ve crashed them all… But not this one.

Is it possible that crashing is just a one-time newbie thing? For those of you experienced riders (who can do jumps and ride backwards and whatnot), have you crashed recently while riding normally?

It doesn't matter how good you are or how careful you are being. There are so many factors beyond our control, its a gamble. You can stack the deck, but you can't ALWAYS win. Just as with any other action sport type things. If you do it long enough, eventually...SH*T HAPPENS.....:pooping:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, I’ve been keeping it under 35 until tonight, I gunned it hard and got the wobbles so I slowed down.

I know people gun these wheels, and I know people crash, but what happens when you go flying through the air at 44 mph? At  what speed is death eminent?

Edited by Vam Monaco

• Vam Monaco changed the title to How INEVITABLE is a crash?
3 minutes ago, Vam Monaco said:

Yeah, I’ve been keeping it under 35 until tonight, I gunned it hard and got the wobbles so I slowed down. I wonder what would happen if I went flying through the air at 44 mph?

At what speed is death eminent?

People have survived falling into a field with a failed parachute at terminal velocity. People also die each year when they fall in the bathroom. Flip a coin? As far as eminent... Isn't it always that way, whether we actually LIVE our lives or not? :)

*I figure that anything over 12mph is probably gna be more than a simple runout and its gna hurt...for a bit*

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's gonna happen eventually. After about 2600 miles I had my first real crash (where I didn't just run off the wheel). Slipped on some ice around a bend. Nearly 3000 miles in I had my 2nd crash. Was braking while looking back at my riding friend, hit a bump on the paved trail and bounced off and slid on my back.

My friend just had a fatal (for his wheel not him) crash after ~600 miles. Death wobbles from braking hard at high speed flung him and his wheel into a ditch. He was fully geared up with an ECE helmet, full chest+arm armor, wrist guards, and leatt dual axis knee pads. Slid on his ass though so he has some road rash there but nothing too serious.

Today I was riding home and my flashlight was nearly dead and wasn't giving me great visibility. Had 2 close calls because of it. First there was a manhole cover that had a huge hole all around it, I barely reacted in time and went along the edge of the hole like it was a bowl at a skatepark going 35mph. 2nd time I barely passed by a massive pothole I couldn't see. Ideally I would've rode slower but the only way to get back near my place was large 40mph suburban roads with no shoulder and no light poles.

If you wear good gear and don't slam into the side of a car, pole, etc you'll most likely be fine in a slide even at high speed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

... I barely reacted in time and went along the edge of the hole like it was a bowl at a skatepark going 35mph. 2nd time I barely passed by a massive pothole I couldn't see. Ideally I would've rode slower but the only way to get back near my place was large 40mph suburban roads with no shoulder and no light poles.

If you wear good gear and don't slam into the side of a car, pole, etc you'll most likely be fine in a slide even at high speed.

Just curious, in your profile, your listed euc's are the 18xl and the Nicola AR+. How are you keeping up with traffic on 40+ mph roadways with nasty manhole covers? Alien rides listed the AR+ as a 40 mph wheel, but where is the headroom for bumps (ie. manhole covers), and emergency braking? How are you managing? 

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, in your profile, your listed euc's are the 18xl and the Nicola AR+. How are you keeping up with traffic on 40+ mph roadways with nasty mamhole covers? Alien rides listed the AR+ as a 40 mph wheel, but where is the headroom for bumps (ie. manhole covers), and emergency braking? How are you managing? 

2 lane road sticking to the right lane going 35-40. I've taken it up to 42 on a full charge before beeps started. The Nik+ can do a bit more than 40, closer to 45. Was definitely a risky ride I took today and don't wanna do it again

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

How inevitable a crash is depends on how you define a 'crash'. If it means an unplanned dismount where something besides just your feet hits the ground, I'd say "pretty certain gonna happen". That's because stuff will happen, even when you're riding responsibly. Bunny runs out and you swerve. The bump or pothole is bigger than you thought. Tramline. Dog on leash darts across the path. Going backwards and accidentally riding off the path (even though I was barely moving I'll call it a crash, it certainly hurt). V12 random 'issue'. Ice. Sand. etc.

If you mean "you got hurt or frightened enough to question the wisdom of riding these things", that'll be less likely for a conservative rider (if you wear your gear)... much more likely if you ride the beeps. To me, that's a "crash".

I have unplanned dismounts all the time when on the trails, it's usually pedal strikes. Sometimes the wheel goes a tumbling away, other times it just flops over on its side. I guess these are crashes because I'm usually laying on the ground, but sort of not really?

I do however consider my MTen cutout a right and proper crash—I was riding responsibly and thought I was well within the wheel's capabilities at 14 mph, but I went sliding down the road on hands and knees with the wheel turning cartwheels beside me. It changed the way I ride the MTen and made me very wary of pushing the speed on any of my wheels.

Keep being super extra careful. If you are, and you pay attention to what's ahead, you might not ever actually crash. But you might, so do wear the gear.

As many times i have seen people commenting, that no matter how expensive is prot gear, it pays off even if you crash once.   And i think that crashes happen more as more confident and reckless driver becomes. 

Edited by quickbot

3 minutes ago, TantasStarke said:

but early overconfidence leads to a lot of crashes, and then when you get confident and start trying to push yourself leads to a lot more crashes.

This needed to be emphasized. 

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Crashed a few times. I've noticed a pattern.

1. It's dark/poor visibility

2. Didn't keep my knees bent

3. Pushed my wheel too close to its max

I've decided that I'm never going to trust manufacturers' or other riders' recommended max speeds. After you've had your first speed cutout I promise you'll rethink your safety margins. I've decided that for me it's no less than 20km/h. Meaning, if I want to ride at 30km/h I want my wheel to do at least 50km/h in a pickup test. For higher speeds I'd use an even larger margin. To ride at 60km/h I want a 90km/h pickup test. 

• Upvote 2

It's only inevitable if you get overconfident. That "oh shit" feeling is keeping you alive. When that feeling goes away, so does a part of your attention and alertness = not good. Low speed accidents pale in comparison to high speed ones. 30km/h is enough to dislocate a shoulder and disable you for 3 months, and never recover 100%. And that can happen with or without gear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Crashed a few times. I've noticed a pattern.

1. It's dark/poor visibility

2. Didn't keep my knees bent

3. Pushed my wheel too close to its max

I've decided that I'm never going to trust manufacturers' or other riders' recommended max speeds. After you've had your first speed cutout I promise you'll rethink your safety margins. I've decided that for me it's no less than 20km/h. Meaning, if I want to ride at 30km/h I want my wheel to do at least 50km/h in a pickup test. For higher speeds I'd use an even larger margin. To ride at 60km/h I want a 90km/h pickup test. 

Curious. Are you riding on roads in traffic, or to the side? Or, are you riding primarily on bike routes?

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

Curious. Are you riding on roads in traffic, or to the side? Or, are you riding primarily on bike routes?

I live in China. It's way different then let's say Europe. In China traffic moves slowly, and roads are huge. Even an older wheel can keep up with city traffic pretty well. Also cars have lots of space to pass around you (for the most part). When you foresee a choke point you of course need to take care and plan ahead. It helps to be a licensed motorcycle rider. Lot's of that theory can be applied.

• Thanks 1

My average is one fall to hands and knees per riding day. 
(More than half of my riding is on dirt trails, and so the average is high on dirt and low on pavement.)

I vote: totally inevitable :)

And luckily, almost never fatal. 
Globally, we've had just 3 EUC fatalities in the history of the device, all involving "struck by a car or bus." Plan accordingly.

• Upvote 1

If you ride long enough you will eventually have a serious accident. It’s that simple. They key is stopping right before that moment. It’s hard to make that judgement though. :D

I broke my wrist and destroyed my shoulder on a airwheel x3 in 2013. I’ve not even fallen from a wheel in thousands of miles since but I know if I keep riding fate can and will strike again. Motorcycles are the same deal but the repercussions are way worse. I got my second ever helicopter ride from the scene of a bad hit and run accident. I still ride almost 10 years later but always in the back of my mind I know what can happen. 

So wear the gear and do the best you can to make good decisions while still enjoying your hobby. 

• Like 1

My dad rides 25-30kph speeds on his ks16s no gear what so ever.. Daily to job.. Have done ~3000km already.

I have set speed alarm at 35kph on 18xl. And i'm happy, no need more speed in city.. Sure i may increase the speed alarm to 40kph. BUT that would be the LIMIT. As i would not feel "safe" going over 40kph. If 18xl can do max ~50kph speed.. (10kph for safety at least.)

(~3km ride to train/job) > Sure i won't lie, i also ride with no gear only wrist guards at times.. But at those times i don't need speed, i simply go for slow ride. Example leaving home 5 mins faster and slowly riding to train/job. No need to go over 20kph.. (If you go faster, you have to wait for the train) At "fun" rides, sure i take my knee/wrist guards and full face helmet. <3

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

If you ride long enough you will eventually have a serious accident. It’s that simple. They key is stopping right before that moment. It’s hard to make that judgement though. :D

I broke my wrist and destroyed my shoulder on a airwheel x3 in 2013. I’ve not even fallen from a wheel in thousands of miles since but I know if I keep riding fate can and will strike again. Motorcycles are the same deal but the repercussions are way worse. I got my second ever helicopter ride from the scene of a bad hit and run accident. I still ride almost 10 years later but always in the back of my mind I know what can happen. 

So wear the gear and do the best you can to make good decisions while still enjoying your hobby. 

Yeah, even if you won't get into a major accident you will have an accident eventually until the day you decide to stop riding. It might be your fault, or it might not be. You could hit an unseen pothole or a huge branch, clip a curb or a fence doing some tight maneuvers, hit/be hit by a fellow rider in a group ride from miscommunication, be hit/hit a car, get doored by a car, have a dog or their leash hit you, slip on a dirt/gravel trail or in mud, over-torque the wheel, go over the top speed of the wheel, have a failure from riding in wet conditions, have a hall sensor failure, or own an Inmotion V12. There's so many ways that you can get into an accident at both low and high speed that it will happen to you one day so long as you keep riding. Riding defensively+within your limits and the wheels limits, and gearing up is the best way to lower your chances of a crash and the chances of a serious injury

Edited by TantasStarke
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1