Need help decide.

quickbot

31 minutes ago, quickbot said:

So, i woyld love to gather more info befor i go for one of these.  So im stopped at s20 eagle, veteran abrams and nicola plus. They all have ip ratibg and its good for wet roads and rain.  All i want to hear is... wich one of them has safest insides, bms and such things, least problems with cutouts, gliches and bearings like many have  would carry me farthest im 100kg.  Ill be using for goin work and back, thats 2x 15km every day, 80% of road is bike lane, other, bad walks with cracked pavement. Wich one would be most comfortable, has better lights, app and such.  It will be my first wheel...   Thank you in advance.

The KS S20 is such a new device, and it needs some improvements. I believe it is worth to buy when it reaches to batch 3 or 4. Same goes with LeaperKim Veteran Abrams, which is also a new device.

If you value quality, hassle-free and safe euc, it's worth looking at KingSong and Inmotion euc-s. Avoid Gotway / Begode unicycles. Inmotion has a problem with V12, so I can´t recommend V12 at this moment, but all other Inmotion wheels are ok.

Gotway / Begode unicycles may catch fire, please be aware of that:

If I were you, I would buy the Inmotion V10F instead, which is a very comfortable, safe, high-quality and stable euc.

https://myewheel.com/inmotion-v10f/

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, quickbot said:

They all have ip ratibg

I'm pretty sure none of those wheels have been sent for formal IP rating. The S20 pre-production wheels have been ridden in pouring rain, but can't survive getting dropped in a water fountain. Abrams I haven't heard much real life experience with wet but it looks pretty good. Nik+ has a long history of being pretty good in the rain.

7 hours ago, quickbot said:

wich one of them has safest insides, bms and such things, least problems with cutouts, gliches and bearings

Abrams might have cutout issues, it's not very clear, but problems have been reported—you don't want to push the early ones too hard. S20 is a KingSong so you must pay attention to the beeps and not push it—so far the pre-production run has cutout one rider because the rider was confused by the beeps but otherwise hasn't had any problems (keep in mind the V12 pre-production run was almost trouble free too, it only had one reported MOSFET failure… we know how that turned out). S20 arguably has the 'best' BMS because it monitors individual cells, but we've only seen 18 pre-production wheels so nobody knows if the BMS is a real improvement. None of the wheels seem to have bearing problems, but again S20 and Abrams are far too new to know with any certainty.

Out of your three candidates, the Nik+ is the only one with a track record, and it has generally been an excellent wheel. Early Nikolas had battery issues but those appear to have been sorted for years now. If you can get an AR+ (from AlienRides in the US), it'll have very long range but all three of your candidates will handle your commute with no problem at all.

Good luck, riding wheels is a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll be glad you took up the hobby! Save for your second and third wheels though, it cannot be avoided.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 18XL while not being completely perfect is very close to it and I can personally attest a very reliable workhorse which is not perturbed by weather issues, I use mine for a daily commute (6.2 miles or 10 km one way) AND my work (yes I get paid to ride :D ). It is in the size range and other capabilities that you at your weight will want. Just turn off the lift sensor when or if it ever starts to exhibit unwanted behavior. I have over 2,300 miles (3,700km) and the only issue I have is the lift sensor. Other than that it is solid.

Oh and get yourself a roll.nz cover for it, well worth every cent in my experience. The only things scraped on my wheel are the pedals and the handle a little. I actually got the cover before I got the wheel.

On another note I bought the fast charger for the wheel and have only used it a few times, so that is an expense you can skip. The wheel easily charges up over night and on your commute you won't even need to charge it every night, every other night will be fine. The only exception there is that if you get into group rides then you may want a fast charger with you, I never do group rides. For me the wheel is 100% about commuting and work.

As for learning don't make the mistakes I made by using support structures for learning. That turned out to be a big handicap that I had to break myself of. Learn by mounting/dismounting repeatedly. Also don't be too timid to throw your weight into it. I was very timid there and that also handicapped me, I had to force myself to put force into the wheel to make it do what I needed it to do.

PS: I rarely jump curbs and never ride down stairs, I'm of the opinion that doing that stresses and wears down a wheel that I'm using for work, not play. I figured to mention that so you had a better idea of what kind of user perspective is giving this advice.

Hope it works out for you no matter what you decide to start with. :)

Edited by Roadpower
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, quickbot said:

bad walks with cracked pavement.

So as to not overlook this statement as it could be a more significant factor than first considered, it may be of value to seriously consider the Inmotion V11. I don't know what the community consensus is on the KS S18 but I do know that there has been issues, I don't know if those have been fully resolved yet. I think that the KS S20 is just too big and heavy for a starter wheel and it also has issues to be resolved.

What speed do you want to ride it firstly.. And what weight do you want? Anything over 30-35kg is pretty heavy to carry. If you don't have to carry it down/up stairs, etc.. You can get any wheel you want. As mentioned IP rating means shit, if water can get inside..

As mentioned S20 is to new.. Ofc if you don't mind being "guinea pig "then sure go ahead and get it.

18XL is amazing wheel. And one of best out there for daily workhorse.

"Backpack cover" over euc works great in rainy days. Also thick grease layer round bearings/axle will prevent water ingress. < Just a tip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Buy any of the suspension wheels... An euc is an electric bike first and forthmost, as an EBIKE you are supposed to go 40 km/h or slower on the road... So the real question is are you going to ride in on the road mostly or off-road on private property...

Edited by MetricUSA

12 hours ago, quickbot said:

So im stopped at s20 eagle, veteran abrams and nicola plus.

The S20 and Abrams are both extremely heavy wheels and you'll regret trying to learn on one. The Nikola+ is certainly waterproof and has been completely issue free for me but I wouldn't recommend Gotway/Begode wheels as they have a habit of bursting into flames. I personally wouldn't bother with a suspension wheel as they tend to be more fragile than non suspension wheels and you drop your wheel a lot while learning. The V10F is a light, comfortable wheel that's well priced but you're very close to it's max range and you'd need to charge the wheel every night which can become a pain. That leaves the 18XL which is fairly expensive but very reliable, it's heavier than the V10F but lighter than the others and works well as a commuter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

16X? Big brand with a wide tire! Powerful and lightweight without being expensive. And no huge bearings that could require servicing later.

Yeah the wide tire aspect is what may make that the best choice for him considering that some of the path he has to take is going over cracked walkways. However it occurs to me that with a wheel the time saving may than more than make up an alternative route that avoids the bad walkways.

• Like 1

Even on paved roads I'd recommend a fat tire for somone that's 100kg. I've heard that the 16X has a wider rim than most other 3in wide tire wheels. This gives it extra comfort/suspension = good.

People forget that a 2.5in tire on a wide rim can be more comfortable than a 3in on a narrow rim. The tire is only half of the system.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Even on paved roads I'd recommend a fat tire for somone that's 100kg. I've heard that the 16X has a wider rim than most other 3in wide tire wheels. This gives it extra comfort/suspension = good.

People forget that a 2.5in tire on a wide rim can be more comfortable than a 3in on a narrow rim. The tire is only half of the system.

I'm 127kg and 18xl is amazing. Doh i have installed K66 80/80-14 tire.. The original 2.5 tire also was fine. I didn't like 16x because of the awkward handle it had. Doh i loved how the 16x looks. :( 

• Like 3

@ShanesPlanet I have a section of cracked pavement that I could possibly take pictures of or maybe even video of. It might serve as a contrast for what Quickbot is talking about. For all I know his section could be much worse, about the same, or less worse. I personally don't care for riding over that section but it definitely can't stop me if I decide to go that way. I typically just ride in the street going against the flow of traffic. /outlaw rider :ph34r:

• Like 1

Our of the 3 you listed I'd say the Nikola+. S20 and Abrams are too new to really know how they'll hold up, especially if you plan on riding rain or shine to commute. The 2 wheels I own do excellent in wet conditions, the Kingsong 18XL and the Nikola+ (I personally have the AR+ variant which has a 3rd battery pack). I am a heavy rider at around 130kg with gear, and I've never cutout on either wheel. The 18XL won't let me accelerate hard at all without yelling at me, and the top speed leaves a little to be desired for commuting. The Nik+ let's me accelerate hard off the line, faster than most cars are accelerating after a stop, and I've personally gone up to 67.5kmh on a full charge before. I've commuted (and rode for fun) daily on my wheels when the roads permitted it, only getting a ride/Ubering when it was a torrential downpour or the roads still had snow on them. I still recommend adding some silicone sealant to your wheel, on my Nik+ I put some behind the motherboard and around the pedal hangers. If you want to commute daily the 18XL and Nik+ are your 2 best options IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Funky said:

What speed do you want to ride it firstly.. And what weight do you want? Anything over 30-35kg is pretty heavy to carry. If you don't have to carry it down/up stairs, etc.. You can get any wheel you want. As mentioned IP rating means shit, if water can get inside..

As mentioned S20 is to new.. Ofc if you don't mind being "guinea pig "then sure go ahead and get it.

18XL is amazing wheel. And one of best out there for daily workhorse.

"Backpack cover" over euc works great in rainy days. Also thick grease layer round bearings/axle will prevent water ingress. < Just a tip.

Im at 100kg...slowly working down 😀 but in full equipment and bag it still gonna be around 110kg. Speed max 25kmh as its legal speed here and while learn. Wont go over 40 prolly, but as with all electronics, i like to get atleast 30% more powerfull than ill be using, sibim sure it will work perfect for my intended things.  I dont mind weight, my escooter is at 37kg with akward hold to carry, so wheel shoukdnt be a prob to carry even 45kg wheel.

Edited by quickbot
  • Like 1

The 16X power reserve drops to fast near top speed, so it should be user limited to 43-44km/h. Considering the bloated speed metering in general, it’s basically comparable to the V10F top speed.

On the GW family of wheels, the user is responsible of taking care of the headroom on their own, which is why they are faster and more powerful at least for the uneducated or risky riders…

On Inmotion and KS (except the 16X) wheels the wheel takes care of the headroom, and doesn’t let you ride or accelerate faster than it’s predetermined headroom allows. That’s why for example the V11 is comparable to much “faster” GW wheels at the same speeds.

If you want 30% power headroom, you can ride near the max speed on an IM/KS without worry. On the Nikola you’d need to calculate the headroom on the fly.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great community and replies to the point. Thank you all for sharing info and own experience.   Question about xl18, is there any batch, version to look out?  If i decide one of more bigger capacity nick pkus...i locally have only Gotway nicolas...are they safe in fire, bms department?

16 minutes ago, quickbot said:

Great community and replies to the point. Thank you all for sharing info and own experience.   Question about xl18, is there any batch, version to look out?  If i decide one of more bigger capacity nick pkus...i locally have only Gotway nicolas...are they safe in fire, bms department?

If you are planning to buy the KS 18XL, we recommend buying the latest version with a motor power of 2200 W. The KS 18XL has proven itself and has reached its final version, it's a good companion on your journey.

New model:

https://eunicycles.eu/en/wheels/107-king-song-ks-18xl-rubber-black-1554wh.html

Old model (unfortunately, they have very old wheels in stock also for the other models):

https://voltride.com/electric-unicycle-kingsong-ks-18xl/

If you think about Gotway/Begode fire safety, please feel free to read this thread:

As I have mentioned it earlier, avoid Gotway/Begode products. Safety is left to the owner in every way (riding, storage, charging etc.). Gotway has even published announcement that you should charge these wheels outside of your apartment/house.

Edited by Wolverine
Typo.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, quickbot said:

Current iterations of the 18XL has a 2200w motor, I don't know about any changes to it after that. The gotway/begode fire issue isn't as bad as people keep making it out to be, the Nikola is a fine wheel and is tried and true in the NYC delivery driving scene, and will be fine for a commuter especially if you can find a 2700wh version (the only gotway/begode fire that had a 2700+ capacity had custom modded cells)

1 hour ago, quickbot said:

Im at 100kg...slowly working down 😀 but in full equipment and bag it still gonna be around 110kg. Speed max 25kmh as its legal speed here and while learn. Wont go over 40 prolly, but as with all electronics, i like to get atleast 30% more powerfull than ill be using, sibim sure it will work perfect for my intended things.  I dont mind weight, my escooter is at 37kg with akward hold to carry, so wheel shoukdnt be a prob to carry even 45kg wheel.

18xl old version had inner shell black color and motor was 2000 / new version has white inner shell and 2200 motor.

Take look at "veteran sherman" i have heard it's a great wheel. Maybe you like it?