Is my V11 battery bad?

wstuart

My ewheels charger says the battery charges to 84.2 volts, but when I turn it on, EUC World says it's at 83.2 volts.  It also drops to 90% battery in the first 4-5 miles.  This seems to go down pretty quick.  I've been able to commute 20 miles and be at 50% battery (as stated by EUC world).  

I'm not sure if this is good performance for a 1500wh battery.

By 1000wh KS 18L does 5.5 miles and is at 90%.  

Edited by wstuart

The apps showing 83.2V on a full V11 is normal, nothing to worry about.

The voltage percentage curve is different with each manufacturer, and it’s sometimes updated even between firmware versions. Besides, the voltage range for the 100% reading is different, and even the voltage at 0% on each wheel varies. So precise direct comparisons are just not possible between wheels.

40 miles is exactly the range I’ve always gotten on my V11, so it doesn’t seem that anything would be wrong with the wheel. Still, I would always make sure that you let the charger run an hour or a few after it turns green, so you can be sure that the cells are balanced and the packs are full.

• Upvote 1

ALL my wheels and chargers show a variance of +-1v. It was quite alarming for the ocd type, as I am. However, I've learned that voltage and distance and speed is all metaphorical in the euc community. Just watch for HUGE changes in variances or extended charge times required or poor mileage. Maybe before the warranty on the packs expire, take it for a quick range test.

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Still, I would always make sure that you let the charger run an hour or a few after it turns green, so you can be sure that the cells are balanced and the packs are full.

Just wondering whether you have tried charging your euc's with the aid of an AC power meter?

To elaborate, I plug the power meter into an AC outlet, and then I plug the the charger into the power meter. I monitor both the charger and the power meter. After the light on the charger turns green, I keep the charger plug in and continue to monitor the wattage on the power meter. The displayed wattage will decrease with time. After some time, the wattage will level out. This is my cue to unplug the charger. For the V12, this value is about 10 watts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Just wondering whether you have tried charging your euc's with the aid of an AC power meter?

To elaborate, I plug the power meter into an AC outlet, and then I plug the the charger into the power meter. I monitor both the charger and the power meter. After the light on the charger turns green, I keep the charger plug in and continue to monitor the wattage on the power meter. The displayed wattage will decrease with time. After some time, the wattage will level out. This is my cue to unplug the charger. For the V12, this value is about 10 watts.

Some 3-5 years ago “Charge Doctor v2” was a big deal. It was available with the common charging connectors at that time, and it was plugged in between the charger and the wheel. You could monitor the charging current, charged capacity, and of course voltage. It was even able to cut off the charging at one of several programmable measures.

I used to use mine extensively, and still have mine.

One thing about the AC meters is that the idle charger current is included in the reading, so one has to deduct that out manually, and hope that the specific charger doesn’t go into a power saving mode when disconnected, as that would mess the idle current calculation. My AC grid meter is nowhere near enough precise for these measurements.

Anyway, no matter how long I charged my MSX, the actual charging current never went below 0.010A (*84 = 0.84W). The charger turns green between 0.3A and 0.7A depending on the charger.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Some 3-5 years ago “Charge Doctor v2” was a big deal. It was available with the common charging connectors at that time, and it was plugged in between the charger and the wheel. You could monitor the charging current, charged capacity, and of course voltage. It was even able to cut off the charging at one of several programmable measures.

I used to use mine extensively, and still have mine.

One thing about the AC meters is that the idle charger current is included in the reading, so one has to deduct that out manually, and hope that the specific charger doesn’t go into a power saving mode when disconnected, as that would mess the idle current calculation. My AC grid meter is nowhere near enough precise for these measurements.

Anyway, no matter how long I charged my MSX, the actual charging current never went below 0.010A (*84 = 0.84W). The charger turns green between 0.3A and 0.7A depending on the charger.

The reason I asked was because I was wondering whether the "leveling off of the displayed wattage on the AC power meter" would give a close enough indication that the cell balancing has completed. Thanks. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

So the ewheels charger I'm using has a screen that does this I think.  It tells me voltage, current, charge time, AH and WH.  An electrical engineer told me that the charge time and WH are actually more important than the voltage.  He said that if I'm charging from 50%, that I should see the battery actually soak up ~750WH ..... which I do, so maybe the battery is OK?

The charger also let's me observe the CC CV charging cycle.  I can see exactly when the pack hits peak voltage and I can watch the current drop to zero over an hour or so.  This is alot more precise than staring at a green light for a few hours.  

I just found it strange that the ewheels charger for my king song says that my 18L reaches 84.4 and then EUC World agrees with this number, while my inmotion ewheels charger says my v11 reache 84.2, but EUC World disagrees and says Peak voltage is actually 83.2.  I figured it is probably the way the different control boards are "seeing" and reporting voltage to euc world. Maybe?

Edited by wstuart

51 minutes ago, wstuart said:

He said that if I'm charging from 50%, that I should see the battery actually soak up ~750WH ..... which I do, so maybe the battery is OK?

Very roughly so, but amongst those lines yes. The usable capacity on an EUC is not exactly close to the announced battery capacity, since balancing requires a certain amount of headroom even when the battery is empty. For example, charging up a 1600Wh MSX from 0% to 100% took in about 1300Wh.

51 minutes ago, wstuart said:

I just found it strange that the ewheels charger for my king song says that my 18L reaches 84.4 and then EUC World agrees with this number, while my inmotion ewheels charger says my v11 reache 84.2, but EUC World disagrees and says Peak voltage is actually 83.2.  I figured it is probably the way the different control boards are "seeing" and reporting voltage to euc world. Maybe?

Exactly. The voltage measurement on an Inmotion can be calibrated remotely by Inmotion if it’s badly out of whack, and it seems to never be very precise. 83.2V is within the normal range that we see all the time.