Mten2 water protection.

Gimlet

Whilst I had the Mten2 apart I noticed that the aluminium heat sink below the control board isn't sealed from the wheel arch and where the power cable comes down to the hub motor isn't sealed either. What's more as the two case sides are identical there is an open hole on the opposite side to the wire.

I decided to add a little silicon sealant to give it a little protection from everything the wheel splashes up.

post-127-0-31584200-1430401452_thumb.jpgpost-127-0-08952100-1430401514_thumb.jpg

Love this.  Good for you. 

I only fear that the silicone is too permanent of a solution.  I'm thinking about using double sided foam tape around the perimeter, or maybe just single sided foam tape and pressure to do light water intrustion.  The top and sides of the case leak water and will seep in liquid in a rainstorm anyways.  The mten and mten2 are not IPxx rated at all, unlike the GW14 and GW18.

Silicon on an edge to edge joint is easily torn apart and I've only put it on the one horizontal joint between the tyre and the electrics.

Seems like common sense when you live in a wet country like the UK! :)

Archived