Pedal Scraping

MonsieurBadgerCheese

Hey @MonsieurBadgerCheese i am sorry i didnt mean to say ignore in a negative sense. I see now that it didnt sound right. I was just trying to say, that normal would depend on whether one shies away from tight tirns knowing that they scrape or not. Yes in ninebit the pedals are not too high above ground, this is why they scrape. So its not your technique. However, try to turn slower, its possible that you wont scrape.

i havent tried that many euc makes, but i m riding a kingsong and kingsong can make tighter turns than ninebot without scraping as the pedals are higher. If there is a hard riding mode in ninebot, you can try that too - that may make it better. Also, whats your tire pressure? Perhaps you can pump the tires more , this will give you a bit more height

this being said - i scare mine on kingsong also simply because i still choose to make tighter turns sometimes, even though i know it might scrape, so in a way this is a matter of choice in riding style

I found it depends on technique. On the IPS when I slow down it feels and start making short turns if feels like the pedal tilt a bit forward (or stop tilting backward a bit? this is the feeling i get), that means in thight turn the front of the pedal scrapes the ground. A different technique for tight furns is extending one leg fully putting all the weight on the heel, and bending the other legg (which automatically puts less weight on it), this way the wheel goes in a spirally movement with  the vertical spinning axis at the exended leg. This way the front of the pedals doesn't dip (there's less weight on them) but the back end. I'm not sure if these are the shortest turns possible, but my feet cramp up less, and I feel  a lot safer.

1 hour ago, Tyred said:

@SuperSport Some sort of tape you're using? Or is it thicker?

It's Auto Body Trim from the Local Auto Parts store.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AVD0/S37200.oap?ck=Search_s37200_-1_-1&keyword=s37200

It's 12 Feet so I can do it multiple times if needed.  Next time, i won't do two strips, only the tips.  The other strips are never touched.

It is about 1/8 Inch thick or so.  Takes a while to wear it down.

s37200_pict.jpg.4aa2b1fe9a474ffa8885dd08  s37200_custom-carbon-fiber-package.jpg.8

Scraping is totally normal.  For ninebot, this is a trade-off in comfort and performance.  They could put the pedals higher off the ground, but that would likely cause some performance issues and possibly increase injury.  They could make the pedals slimmer, but then your whole foot wouldn't be supported.  I think that people that try to baby these things are 100% wasting their time.

9 minutes ago, CarZin said:

I think that people that try to baby these things are 100% wasting their time.

Takes me about 5 mins to apply the Trim, so, for me anyways, that's time well spent.  100% of 5 mins wasted is not too bad.  I waste more time than that thinking about Candice Swanepoel every day.

Also, the metal part of the pedals can be bought online for under $7ea.  So that is also an option.

candice1.jpg.8949a4acea9feaae7d5542700d7

27 minutes ago, CarZin said:

Scraping is totally normal.  For ninebot, this is a trade-off in comfort and performance.  They could put the pedals higher off the ground, but that would likely cause some performance issues and possibly increase injury.  They could make the pedals slimmer, but then your whole foot wouldn't be supported.  I think that people that try to baby these things are 100% wasting their time.

Its interesting. I always wondered about the effect of the pedal height on the riding riding performance. How that differing mass distribution will affect the feel and the behavior of the wheel. In terms of safety, id think that actually higher foot position is more safe - feet will scrape of pavement less and also give the rider more time to regroup when falling/ jumping off the wheel so he can land on his feet. On the other hand, a lower center of mass and less leverage should be safer in terms of the acceleration and overall stability but if we are talking about the delta of 1 inch or so, i dont think it should have a drastic effect. I would raise them by an inch on the ninebot, or install them at a slight angle, pointing slightly up at the outer edge. This will help prevent slipping off the pedal. They may already be at an angle, i dont remember.

11 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Takes me about 5 mins to apply the Trim, so, for me anyways, that's time well spent.  100% of 5 mins wasted is not too bad.  I waste more time than that thinking about Candice Swanepoel every day.

Also, the metal part of the pedals can be bought online for under $7ea.  So that is also an option.

candice1.jpg.8949a4acea9feaae7d5542700d7

Damn! What did you do to me @SuperSport. I am still at work and now i cant stop thinking about Candice Swanepoel...Candice on a unicycle, Candice off a unicycle, Candice getting on a hoverboard...Candice after a long day riding my enicycle...etc

Pedal scraping is something that the advanced "athlete" must learn to avoid.  If you are scraping your pedals, then you aren't doing it right.  Sure we all scrape them a little.  But the idea of completely controlling your device effectively means that you learn how to not do bad things.

The effective in-control rider will not scrape his/her pedals too much.  Do you slam shut the doors on your car hard?  It is ok to do that, but when you learn not to do that everything is just a little bit better.  Yes?  

Learn how not to do it.  If you need a wheel that lets you be more aggressive without scraping pedals, then get it.  Pedal scraping is a failure to use your equipment properly.  That is my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

17 minutes ago, dpong said:

Pedal scraping is something that the advanced "athlete" must learn to avoid.  If you are scraping your pedals, then you aren't doing it right.  Sure we all scrape them a little.  But the idea of completely controlling your device effectively means that you learn how to not do bad things.

The effective in-control rider will not scrape his/her pedals too much.  Do you slam shut the doors on your car hard?  It is ok to do that, but when you learn not to do that everything is just a little bit better.  Yes?  

Learn how not to do it.  If you need a wheel that lets you be more aggressive without scraping pedals, then get it.  Pedal scraping is a failure to use your equipment properly.  That is my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

This is true. 

Ulternatively you think of pedal scrapin as a super skill, being skillfull on a whole new level. Someone who can control it and scrape the pedals on purpose is being so precise that they just barely touch the pavement but not with too much force so as not to lose the balance due to excessive friction. One could argue that riding with freuent scraping is being able to predict the parmeters of your turn with gret preciion. Depending on whether you scrape or not you can subscribe to either one of the other philosophy :) 

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

This is true. 

Ulternatively you think of pedal scrapin as a super skill, being skillfull on a whole new level. Someone who can control it and scrape the pedals on purpose is being so precise that they just barely touch the pavement but not with too much force so as not to lose the balance due to excessive friction. One could argue that riding with freuent scraping is being able to predict the parmeters of your turn with gret preciion. Depending on whether you scrape or not you can subscribe to either one of the other philosophy :) 

I completely agree!  Scrape or don't scrape.  But decide which, and then do that. 

Good call!

I scrape just to practice tight turns.  If I'm able to control my tight turn and either touch or not touch without falling, then I feel like I'm gaining control.  I don't touch hard, just light scraping normally.

I definitely will not claim to be an expert. ;)

When I touch the ground, it's not accidental, or to hold me up, it's because I've done so on purpose. I can keep from touching, I just happen to do both.  I'm sure I'll eventually get to where I don't want to touch anymore, but for now, I'm having fun riding and learning. 

Archived