IPS Zero 340. Making weird noise.

Tigimon

So my IPS makes a clunky clicking noise accompanied by a jolt in the pedals almost as if the whole case slips forward a notch when I adjust direction quickly. Which is scary because I live in England so bumps and kirbs etc aren't avoidable and each time I go over a bump or drop off a kirb it has a chance to do this which completely throws my balance off. Haven't had any big mega slam falls on my IPS just seemed to start making the noise out of nowhere if one of you could let me know what to do, if I can fix it myself or whether its best to get in touch with the IPS factory as i ordered it directly from them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byeh_QS4b1X8NXpZYV93QUQ5ckE/view?usp=sharing

Quick vid of the noise.

@Tigimon to be honest as this is looking to be a new symptom for all of us, anything is likely to be a guess.

However my first thought on hearing it, which seems to be reinforced by the question that nothing seems to be loose on shaking it is that it sounds like the stator might be moving. 

On most wheels the stator (the bit of the motor that stands still) is mounted on a shaft which then supports the bearings that allow the wheel rim to turn. That shaft usually has one or two flats machined into it and the peddles then also connect to the same shaft. The case is then usually mounted to that peddle assembly. It is those flats that keep the stator still and rigidly connected to the peddles. When you suddenly accelerate or decelerate all that motor torque is transferred through the stator to those flats on the shaft and on to the peddles. It can be a lot of torque. If those flats or the components that fit on to them became worn then the torques could cause a shift and a clunk. It would be very similar to the way bicycle peddles clunk if the cotter pin holding them to the crank gets worn.

I may well be wrong but you might want to see if you can take a close look at the shaft in the hub of the wheel?

20 minutes ago, Tigimon said:

Yeah I figured it would be something like that but my ips is less than a month old and from what i've seen they don't look fun to pull apart so I guess I'll try and contact the factory.

That new it definitely shouldn't be giving problems, escalating it under warranty would be the best action if possible. If not, or you want to take a bit closer look, althoguh I haven't seen any pictures of that IPS dismantled @Cloud did a brilliant job of documenting the strip down of his KingSong in this thread: 

The wheel hub/peddle part should be very similar on most, if not all makes. I've copied the link to one of his pictures below, you can see the black centre shaft with two flats is clamped between two aluminium blocks the peddles are then fitted to the lower block. It is easy to imagine wow that might clunk if it got loose! 

image.jpeg.27604d94e912bb8dafdaab2ee3f13

Not all wheels are as solidly mounted either; there was a thread yesterday showing the Firewheel with two nuts jammed down Either side of the shaft nut to hold it still - really crude, I've copied that picture link below as well.

Firewheel_20160120_18-17-17_disassemblin

On 2016. 02. 07. at 9:30 PM, Tigimon said:

So my IPS makes a clunky clicking noise accompanied by a jolt in the pedals almost as if the whole case slips forward a notch when I adjust direction quickly. Which is scary because I live in England so bumps and kirbs etc aren't avoidable and each time I go over a bump or drop off a kirb it has a chance to do this which completely throws my balance off. Haven't had any big mega slam falls on my IPS just seemed to start making the noise out of nowhere if one of you could let me know what to do, if I can fix it myself or whether its best to get in touch with the IPS factory as i ordered it directly from them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byeh_QS4b1X8NXpZYV93QUQ5ckE/view?usp=sharing

Quick vid of the noise.

This video is really bad, you can not watch and listen!  So we can not help you!

Please put in a playable video uploading.

53 minutes ago, Tom said:

Do the pedals and everything else feel "normal"? Seems like a worrying problem for all IPS Zero owners!

Probably not - I was the one who agitated a friend (350km a way) to this sport and he got "klunk" after less than 10 hours. Wheel was Monowheel Elite, rebranded IPS Zero 340 by Teknikmagasinet (Yes, they confirmed earlier that it is actually IPS Zero 340). Today we scheluded meeting and I found out that there was some minor clearance in pedal axle. He rode the very first ride on mud, not cleaned sense and caused thus this early wear (I think, nothing on my wheel yet and double hours, about same structure).

On 2016. 02. 07. at 10:58 PM, Tigimon said:

Yeah I figured it would be something like that but my ips is less than a month old and from what i've seen they don't look fun to pull apart so I guess I'll try and contact the factory.

Hi Tigimon!

There is still a problem IPS Zero?  Did you talk to your dealer, or IPS Company?

10 days ago, did not you write, a problem, I'm curious, what has happened since.

There is a solution?

Hi!

Sorry been a busy week. With their instructions I pulled apart the IPS and discovered the problem. The shaft that connects the motor to the pedals had sheered chunks out of the pedals brackets so it no longer snuggly fit inside the pedals and had space to move. Seems like i got unlucky with the pedal quality or something but they've done everything they can to make sure I don't have to pay anything and have replied to emails striaght away really impressed to be honest. Just a shame my IPS is out of commission for  a week until my new parts arrive.

12746243_1257952394218607_597700376_n.jpg

video-1455635191.mp4

8 hours ago, Tigimon said:

Hi!

Sorry been a busy week. With their instructions I pulled apart the IPS and discovered the problem. The shaft that connects the motor to the pedals had sheered chunks out of the pedals brackets so it no longer snuggly fit inside the pedals and had space to move. Seems like i got unlucky with the pedal quality or something but they've done everything they can to make sure I don't have to pay anything and have replied to emails striaght away really impressed to be honest. Just a shame my IPS is out of commission for  a week until my new parts arrive.

video-1455635191.mp4

Man, that's scary! This should be a huge concern for any IPS Zero owner, eventually this would lead to the wheel freely spinning unable to stop.

20 hours ago, Tigimon said:

Hi!

We hope that the shaft does not bad!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016. 02. 17. at 1:55 PM, Tigimon said:

Hi!

video-1455635191.mp4

Hi!

Do you have any change?

Archived