average/max riding speed

viti

Today I was on a trip again with my EUC (IPS Zero - total traveld distance now ~ 145 Km, speed limit set to 25 Km/h)) and as I normally do not, today I had my smartphone with the app running to have a look at my speed.

I was totally surprised:

While I surely slow down when other pedestrians are around, I clearly ride at higher speed now (compared to the beginning) when nobody is around.

( @Colestien you promised it already ;) )

And: I totally underestimated my riding speed. So this are my 'travelling speed's' now (good street condition, nobody around, no 'surprise' from sides possible):

* normal slow travel: ~ 12 Km/h

* normal travel (18 - 20 Km/h)

I'm interested in what are your travelling speed's?

Do you know how fast you are going?

In the begining I had 14" generic one with top speed 18kph - I was actually riding 10-12kph tops for the first weeks. The started to hear beeps and notice strong tilt backs, on the quite uneven fairways/sidewalks too. Now I got Lhotz and seems that my normal riding speed is around 22-25kph. Yesterday my Lhotz was turned back to initial state (for some reason - I don't know), sidelights were on but I didn't care, untill I was sure that it tilts back way too early and restricts my speed. Took my phone and wheel was in initial state indeed, including 0km total distance.

Haven't used sports tracker for while, but commuting average is around 22kph. Nowadays when I feel like crawling, speed is still around 8kph. Total average is probably less than 10kph since I like to make tight turns, challenge my coordination/balance, learn to ride over obstacles and offroading too.
Top speed peak is somewhere a bit above 30kph. Experience this far 78km, excluding beginners learning and about last 20km .

On even surface I think the wheel size doesn't matter (a lot at least), but on bad/challenging surfaces I wouldn't dare to ride Zero even nearly 20kph.

My usual speed with Gotway MSuper2 MS:

* normal slow travel: 10 ~ 15 km/h, this is usually happens when I ride with friends
* normal medium travel: 15 ~ 20 km/h, this is usually happens when I ride with certain friends(with MSuper2 etc)
* normal fast travel 20 - 25 km/h, this is usually happens when I ride alone and the road condition is good(with knee protects)
* the fastest speed I rode was 32 km/h, this happened once when I was testing with many protective gears on
(speed are GPS speed not app speed)

I have wheeled my Ninebot One for 620 km. The average speed for the whole distance is 15.7 kmh.

I think that the citylights and cityconditions make the average somewhat lower that the max 18-20 kmh that I (almost always) do when not in the city.

Wow, that bike path is beautiful for commuting! It's in much better shape than the road you started on, that's for sure. 

Looks like this is your path on Google Maps? If I got the start/end points right and judging from the time on your video, it looks like 19.3mph so pretty much what you said. That's incredible speed! I guess it would be a lot harder to be going that fast down the center of the island though? Are there good bike lanes elsewhere, or are you facing potholes and traffic like you were during the first couple of blocks?

Why did you hop out onto the road during that stretch around 3:48 minutes? Did you just get trapped on the wrong side of that railing while avoiding the oncoming bike?

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

Wow, that bike path is beautiful for commuting! It's in much better shape than the road you started on, that's for sure. 

Looks like this is your path on Google Maps? If I got the start/end points right and judging from the time on your video, it looks like 19.3mph so pretty much what you said. That's incredible speed! I guess it would be a lot harder to be going that fast down the center of the island though? Are there good bike lanes elsewhere, or are you facing potholes and traffic like you were during the first couple of blocks?

Why did you hop out onto the road during that stretch around 3:48 minutes? Did you just get trapped on the wrong side of that railing while avoiding the oncoming bike?

The starting point is right but the ending point is just a little further.

Yea I went there to avoid a pedestrians and oncoming bikers to avoid slowing down but it actually wouldn't be quicker in retrospect to just continue on the bike path.

I did another video through the island and it was slower but not by much. There wasn't a bike path on this street but there are some good paths in the city. Honestly though I prefer the road over bike paths when there isn't too much traffic because they are much smoother.

Is that Broadway? What time of day was that? The traffic seems really light, although when I visit NYC I rarely go as far north as 78th.

Even with traffic that light, I'd be really careful about riding on the street and blowing through red lights. It might bring out some anti-EUC sentiment and it sounds like the city is already not that happy about EUCs. if you switch to a magic carpet it might help.

• 3 weeks later...
On February 9, 2016 at 1:55 PM, dmethvin said:

Is that Broadway? What time of day was that? The traffic seems really light, although when I visit NYC I rarely go as far north as 78th.

Even with traffic that light, I'd be really careful about riding on the street and blowing through red lights. It might bring out some anti-EUC sentiment and it sounds like the city is already not that happy about EUCs. if you switch to a magic carpet it might help.

Yeah it's Broadway starting at 76th to 106th. 

I don't ride like that anymore since my accident, it's too dangerous. 

And yeah that Casey Neistat video is awesome!

@logos122 dude you ride soo fast, what kind of accident!?!?   btw, I was the one who asked you about max speed / cutoffs on Instagram a few days ago.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I read your post, it just didn't register with me that you were the same person...  Ironically your post was the reason I wear the moto jacket and helmet I DM'd you about in Insta.  Crazy coincidence.  

8 hours ago, Kells said:

Nevermind, I read your post, it just didn't register with me that you were the same person...  Ironically your post was the reason I wear the moto jacket and helmet I DM'd you about in Insta.  Crazy coincidence.  

I'm glad to hear that! EUCs are still a relatively new field and I don't think the kinks are fully worked out yet so in the meantime we have to suit up to stay safe!

• 1 month later...

30 in 5, that is crazy, I can only do 6 blocks in 10 minutes¡¿ sucks...

Ok, I don't know who keeps sending Casey unicycles, but freakn stop it! He just received a second unit, a 16 KS! And he already gave the $1200 unit away without even opening box, to a drunk friend for his birthday, that should serve you freakn right!!! Casey has four e-boards and two drones and constantly breaking his cameras...why are you giving him expensive items??? Are you in love with him? There I'm done ranting...

9 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

don't know who keeps sending Casey unicycles, but freakn stop it! 

I'm sure you knew who... anyways, it was me :) If you hold 2.789 million YouTube subscribers (I take it you're one of them?), I'd be more than happy to send you a free King Song also. 

In the shared office space where I work, there's a couple guys from OneWheel & they tell me Casey almost single handed did far more to promote the product than any other subsidiary marketing activity. This is April 2016, over five years since the unveiling of the first Solowheel, yet how many people do you pass every day who have never seen the Wheel before?! It's crazy, it needs more publicity, & if this is Casey kicking around the King Song, while his buddy is falling off after drinking the moonshine, then so be it! 

Incidentally, we sold enough Wheels yesterday as a result of this video to make it more than worth it :lol:

30 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

I'm sure you knew who... anyways, it was me :) If you hold 2.789 million YouTube subscribers (I take it you're one of them?), I'd be more than happy to send you a free King Song also. 

That's actually pretty cheap marketing, 2.789 million potential viewers for one unicycle... ;) Even with a fractional conversion, that's probably a very good move :P

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Incidentally, we sold enough Wheels yesterday as a result of this video to make it more than worth it :lol:

Good for you! I think this is the essence of marketing anyway, find the influencers and get them to promote your stuff. If Oprah still had a show I'd tell you to send her one. :D

Archived