EU Rules Coming for EUs/eWheels

Jason McNeil

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

True, but it gets us onto the sidewalks, and if there's wide open clearing, doubt anyone will very much care if a rider accidentally goes a tad bit faster.

The 6 km/h is currently the bypass for Germany. This vehicles don't need a type approval. There's a configuration from Gotway available to support this bypass.

Let's have a look on this PLEV voluntary standard...

You English natives: What does voluntary standard mean?

spontanous standard?

not bonded/ something can be used?

Sorry to ask that stupid question. English is not my native language.

There's nothing coming quick in the European Union. So I don't trust a new standard comes so quick ;)

Some more words on here: http://www.afnor.org/en/news/news/2015/decembre-2015/urban-mobility-a-european-standard-in-2016-to-ensure-reliability-of-personal-light-electric-vehicles

1 hour ago, OliverH said:

You English natives: What does voluntary standard mean?

Oliver, a "voluntary standard" means an agreement amongst those involved to agree to do something, such that it becomes unnecessary to have legislation to enforce it.

For example if newspaper reporters agreed voluntarily not to invade people's privacy, there would be no need to create privacy laws.

10 minutes ago, Keith said:

Oliver, a "voluntary standard" means an agreement amongst those involved to agree to do something, such that it becomes unnecessary to have legislation to enforce it.

For example if newspaper reporters agreed voluntarily not to invade people's privacy, there would be no need to create privacy laws.

Ok. I thought it would point to that..

I did a quick research:

it's an extension to 2006/42/EC Machine directive so it deals with health and safety requirements.

Lead is at AFNOR in France, the German DIN works in this matter.

Currently not very clear but it looks like this is the missing piece of a puzzle to give guidelines to european/ national approval agencies and national laws.

A vehicle category is derived from UN standards/ groups and where not available by national regulation authorities. The work of this group can be used to fit to something like MobHV in Germany or a new category of sport and recreation vehicles ( NASport).

I could be wrong but this is the direction of IEC 61508/ ISO 26262.

We need to see the big picture where this CEN/TC 354/WG 4 fits in. 

So far, that's my understanding.

It sounds like this will be some sort of white paper that will be presented, which then later will be put in a directive.

Directives are addressed to all member states and require an objective to be achieved by a given date. National authorities must then draw up legislation in order to conform to the directive within a certain time frame (the date of transposition).  All this will take some time, but it's certainly a good thing that the regulatory vacuum and resulting arbritrary approach of different countries and regions will be addressed.

Then there remains the uncertainty whether the Chinese manufacturers will bother to comply with the EU safety standards for a niche market. Some opportunity for an EU manufacturers may arise as a result. If volumes go up, prices don't even have to be negatively impacted. Let's cross our fingers.

Looking on this I've a bad feeling:

http://www.din.de/blob/69342/82c56463efb3826d7b2bf3f6f8ea9015/nasport-imagebroschuere-data.pdf

It states in german:

CEN/TC 354 »Motorisierte (ride-on) Fahrzeuge ohne Zulassung für den öffentlichen Straßenverkehr, bestimmt für den Transport von Personen und Gütern – Sicherheitstechnische Anforderungen«

In English something like:

CEN/TC 354 "machine powered (ride on) vehicles without type approval for public road use, used fto transport goods and persons - technical safety requirements."

If we've no permission to conduct to use them on street customs can block them if they don't fulfil the requirements and has not the necessary certificates. I try to get some light on this matter.

In the US, California just rolled out laws regulating electric personal vehicles.   I really think these laws are just a means of protecting city municipalities of liability should some one get hurt.   If and euc crashes into a pedestrian,  they can cite that the euc was breaking law by speeding or riding on sidewalk.    

Hey it could be worse, look at some of the rules they tried to pass for early automobile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_traffic_laws

"The most infamous of the Red Flag Laws was enacted in Pennsylvania circa 1896, when legislators unanimously passed a bill through both houses of the state legislature, which would require all motorists piloting their "horseless carriages", upon chance encounters with cattle or livestock to (1) immediately stop the vehicle, (2) "immediately and as rapidly as possible ... disassemble the automobile", and (3) "conceal the various components out of sight, behind nearby bushes" until equestrian or livestock is sufficiently pacified. "

15 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

In the US, California just rolled out laws regulating electric personal vehicles.   I really think these laws are just a means of protecting city municipalities of liability should some one get hurt.   If and euc crashes into a pedestrian,  they can cite that the euc was breaking law by speeding or riding on sidewalk.    

Is this AB604 Olsen? I'm not sure if this is an electrically motorised board. Do the pedals count as a "Floorboard"?

On 7. Februar 2016 at 1:17 PM, OliverH said:

Looking on this I've a bad feeling:

http://www.din.de/blob/69342/82c56463efb3826d7b2bf3f6f8ea9015/nasport-imagebroschuere-data.pdf

It states in german:

CEN/TC 354 »Motorisierte (ride-on) Fahrzeuge ohne Zulassung für den öffentlichen Straßenverkehr, bestimmt für den Transport von Personen und Gütern – Sicherheitstechnische Anforderungen«

In English something like:

CEN/TC 354 "machine powered (ride on) vehicles without type approval for public road use, used fto transport goods and persons - technical safety requirements."

If we've no permission to conduct to use them on street customs can block them if they don't fulfil the requirements and has not the necessary certificates. I try to get some light on this matter.

More clarification:

CEN/TC 354/WG 4 "Light Electric Vehicles & Self Balancing Vehicles" will be integrated in DIN EN ISO 12100 (safety of machines) as a type C standard (vehicle specific).

This can be seen as:

state of the art of technic

Productsafety

stree_legal_overview.jpg

I've made this generic drawing (should be correct for countries based on UN ECE regulations) one year ago and you can see where it's placed.

But keep in mind the drawing has in mind that we still have a vehicle category and that we can map the machine directive/ Safety for machines to it. 

The current standard is for: Private areas and NOT for public street use. We need to use it for us as a harmonised approval requirement for street legal use.

Archived