Any Ukrainian riders?

Richardo

What is the difference between a tactical nuke and a nuke?
Less powerful than strategic nuclear weapons, tactical nuclear weapons are intended to devastate enemy targets in a specific area without causing widespread destruction and radioactive fallout. ... By comparison, the atomic bombs dropped on Japan in World War II had yields of 15 and 21 kilotons.

There is no exact definition of the "tactical" category on range or yield of the nuclear weapon.[2][3] The yield of tactical nuclear weapons is generally lower than that of strategic nuclear weapons, but larger ones are still very powerful, and some variable-yield warheads serve in both roles.

What is the smallest nuke possible?
The smallest (in size) publicly-known known nuclear device was probably the W82 155mm artillery shell. That's six inches diameter in American and Liberian units. It weighed 43 kg (or 95 lbs) and had a yield of less than 2 kilotons.

Nuclear weapon yields
Atomic bombs is measured in kilotons, each unit of which equals the explosive force of 1,000 tons of TNT.
The explosive power of hydrogen bombs, by contrast, is frequently expressed in megatons, each unit of which equals the explosive force of 1,000,000 tons of TNT.

First US troops (+British, German) going in... ex-special ops/NATO joining the volunteer army... :thumbup:

The group, composed of six US citizens, three Brits, and a German, are NATO-trained and experienced in close combat and counterterrorism. They want to be among the first to officially join the new International Legion of the Territorial Defense of Ukraine that Zelensky announced Sunday, according to text messages reviewed by BuzzFeed News. Two former American infantry officers are also making plans to come to Ukraine to provide “leadership” for the group, the Army veteran recruiter said.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christopherm51/american-nato-military-veterans-fight-russia-with-ukraine

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I dont have a good sense for this stuff but how much faith do you guys place on reports of how well combatants are doing in a war?

i assume russia is “officially” stating all good news thats basically counter to everything we hear. But does their tiktok show all the tanks out of gas and stuff? 

It really looks like russia is completely incompetent, but if that’s true howd they handle Syria and Georgia and Chechnya and all that stuff through history?

1 hour ago, Richardo said:

I dont have a good sense for this stuff but how much faith do you guys place on reports of how well combatants are doing in a war?

Every day I wake up, check the news and say to myself: hot damn those crazy bastards are still alive !!!
In other words, the Ukrainians are doing exceptionally well. US Intel who can clearly see the force counts via the satellites thought they'd all be toast days ago...
Now that is seems the entire free world is flooding the place with more weapons I'd say they've got an (admittedly still small) chance to make it out alive... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Monday, 28 February 2022, 09:11

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3415460-general-staff-of-armed-forces-russian-invaders-demoralized-suffer-heavy-losses.html

Russian invaders are demoralized and suffer heavy losses.

Russian troops have slowed down the offensive but are still trying to succeed in some areas in the assault against Ukraine.

The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine notes that the Ukrainian troops manage to successfully repel the attacks of battalion-tactical groups on the approaches, forcing the enemy to abandon the offensive.

"The enemy is demoralized and suffers heavy losses. Frequent cases of desertion and disobedience are observed. The enemy realized that propaganda and reality are different. The occupiers are afraid of us," the statement reads.

According to the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the losses of the Russian army currently total about 4,500 people.

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/27/ukraine-russia-invasion-tactics/

Today at 8:41 p.m. EST

The war in Ukraine isn’t going Russia’s way.

Videos posted on social media show whole columns of tanks and armored vehicles have been wiped out. Others have been stopped in their tracks by ordinary Ukrainians standing on the street to block their advance.

Lightly armed units propelled deep into the country without support have been surrounded and their soldiers captured or killed. Warplanes have been shot out of the skies and helicopters have been downed, according to Ukrainian and U.S. military officials.

Logistics supply chains have failed, leaving troops stranded on roadsides to be captured because their vehicles ran out of fuel.

Most critically, Russia has proved unable to secure air superiority over the tiny Ukrainian air force — despite having the second-largest air force in the world, Pentagon officials say. Its troops have yet to take control of any significant city or meaningful chunk of territory, a senior U.S. defense official said Sunday.

On Sunday, a Russian attempt to seize control of the city of Kharkiv, less than 30 miles from the Russian border, was repelled. A fresh push toward the capital, Kyiv, came to a smoking end in the suburb of Irpin, where videos posted on social media showed the charred remains of Russian tanks and armored vehicles strewn around the streets while Ukrainian soldiers removed weapons from the bodies of dead Russians.

These scenes of humiliation have played out widely on social media, where the Ukrainians have won a clear advantage. Multiple videos from around the country have portrayed scenes of burned Russian tanks, dead Russian soldiers and captured Russians, some barely out of their teens, making plaintive calls home to their parents.

The Russian military has meanwhile issued little in the way of reporting on the Ukraine war, in contrast to the prolific reporting that came out of its intervention in Syria. On Sunday, a spokesman acknowledged that there had been Russian casualties and losses, while saying they were “many times less” than those suffered by Ukraine.

“Russian servicemen are showing courage and heroism while fulfilling combat tasks in the special military operation. Unfortunately, there are killed and injured among our comrades,” the state news agency Tass quoted military spokesman Igor Konashenkov as saying. “The losses of the Russian Armed Forces are many times less than the number of servicemen of the Ukrainian armed forces.”

U.S. officials and military experts caution that it is still too early to draw conclusions about the eventual trajectory of a war that is only days old.

“We are in Day 4. The Russians will learn and will adapt and will try to overcome these challenges. I think we need to be pragmatic about that,” said the senior U.S. defense official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to candidly discuss the situation.

What is clear, however, is that Russian President Vladimir Putin’s gamble on a swift and decisive takeover of Ukraine has not paid off.

9 hours ago, Richardo said:

i assume russia is “officially” stating all good news thats basically counter to everything we hear. But does their tiktok show all the tanks out of gas and stuff? 

It really looks like russia is completely incompetent, but if that’s true howd they handle Syria and Georgia and Chechnya and all that stuff through history?

In exactly same way - brute force and leveling infrastructure completely with "dumb" bombs and MRLS. They've started bomb runs in Syria where there was very little surface to air coverage, bombing hospitals among other things. Georgian army only started to appear at the moment of war and Chechnya had its capital leveled to the ground and puppet local government installed.

The Russian soldiers didn't even know they were going into war.

They were told that the Ukrainians would welcome them.

Young men, cannon fodder.

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3415941-im-scared-were-hitting-everyone-even-civilians-russian-soldier-to-his-mother-before-being-killed-in-action.html

Monday, 28 February 2022, 17:20

The Security Service of Ukraine has made public a photo of texts sent by one of the Russian invaders to his mother before he was killed in combat.

In the texts, the soldier says it is actual war in Ukraine, that he was deployed right after the exercises held in Crimea, and that civilians are actually standing before Russian armored vehicles, trying to stop them, while Russian soldiers had been told by their commanders that the Ukrainians would be welcoming them in their homeland.

He also says Russian forces are shelling the Ukrainian territory indiscriminately, including civilians.

image.thumb.png.688e0a2c2a0e02fe4391f5c94bad3fc4.png

The following is the full text of the correspondence seen in the picture:

“- Mom, I’m not in Crimea anymore, not at the exercises

- Where are you then??? Dada is asking whether we can send you a parcel

- What parcel are you talking about? The only thing I want now is to hang myself

- What are you talking about? What’s wrong?

- Mom, I’m in Ukraine. There’s real war here. I’m scared, we’re hitting everyone, even civilians. We had been told that people would welcome us here but they jump under our vehicles, not letting us pass. They call us fascists. Mom, it’s so hard"

The caption to the photo of a killed soldier’s phone says the serviceman didn’t have enough time to surrender to Ukrainian forces.

“But other invaders still have a chance to save their lives,” the SBU wrote. “Let’s defend Ukraine together!”

• Sad 4

Newswire:

France's Elysée Palace says it fears that Ukrainian civilians will be "massively" targeted in a Russian invasion, a spokesperson has said.

The concerns were revealed during a briefing with journalists on Monday, coming just after French President Emmanuel Macron's phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Not good... also seeing reports of clusters bombs being used, the Russian convoy of tanks, APCs, etc. is now 40+ miles long headed to Kyiv and US Intel indicates Belarus may be preparing to invade as well... Putin's going all-in...

Edited by level9

29 minutes ago, level9 said:

Newswire:

France's Elysée Palace says it fears that Ukrainian civilians will be "massively" targeted in a Russian invasion, a spokesperson has said.

The concerns were revealed during a briefing with journalists on Monday, coming just after French President Emmanuel Macron's phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Not good... also seeing reports of clusters bombs being used, the Russian convoy of tanks, APCs, etc. is now 17 miles long headed to Kyiv and US Intel indicates Belarus may be preparing to invade as well... Putin's going all-in...

Even if putin takes over the Ukraine. Do he really thinks people will simply give up and follow him??? This isn't a catch a "flag" game, where game ends when "flag" is captured..

He may take over the country, yet people will simply not follow any rules he may give.. This isn't a 1900 year, where people followed leaders like "sheeps" People will do what right and so on.. After this whole scenario, i can say 99% he will not be a president anymore anyways. Because whole world hates that dipshit now.

Taking over country.. Means jack shit nowadays. At the moment putler started this "WAR" he lost. He's whole country will feel the pain for many years..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ukrainians have been able to destroy armour and ambush convoys.  They have the weapons capability.

Air superiority is not effective against individuals with shoulder launch anti tank javelins/RPGs.  It gives air support to protect against Ukrainian air force.

Seventeen miles is a long column.  Knowing where troop movements makes them vulnerable.  

Traffic jams caused by destruction on roads is going to slow progress, increase exposure. 

Travelling on a road in a column is an easier target. Widely dispersed, at high speed across open ground with freedom of movement is harder to ambush.

Been bit of a turkey shoot on Russian convoys.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Ukrainians have been able to destroy armour and ambush convoys.  They have the weapons capability.

Air superiority is not effective against individuals with shoulder launch anti tank javelins/RPGs.  It gives air support to protect against Ukrainian air force.

Seventeen miles is a long column.  Knowing where troop movements makes them vulnerable.  

Traffic jams caused by destruction on roads is going to slow progress, increase exposure. 

Travelling on a road in a column is an easier target. Widely dispersed, at high speed across open ground with freedom of movement is harder to ambush.

Been bit of a turkey shoot on Russian convoys.

So true.. It takes one molotov cocktail to stop a armored vehicle, It takes one RPG to stop a tank in tracks.. When they enter "bigger" cities. They will simply be shot down from apartment buildings. Russian forces stand no chance in city. Where they can simply be shot down from any window.

One takes first vehicle, second takes second vehicle and so on.. Fishes in barrel.. Sitting ducks.. That's what will happen.

It takes one phone call: "Hey bratan the morons are coming from that road and they should be there in 5 mins.. Ohh okey comrad, i will ready my stingers to sting those fascists!!!" Boom their vehicles are dead. Fleeing soldiers shot..

Heck, it seems i'm better war strategist. Than what putler has.. :D

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3

Prolonged close quarters combat in cities, building to building, hand to hand, would be a nightmare for invaders.

Occupation trying to suppress an entire population would be difficult enough, but the defenders are well armed with effective weapons.  

19 minutes ago, Funky said:

Even if putin takes over the Ukraine. Do he really thinks people will simply give up and follow him??? This isn't a catch a "flag" game, where game ends when "flag" is captured..

I believe the current thinking is that he'll install a puppet government. It does work.. they've done it before elsewhere. As to whether it will work in Ukraine, I couldn't say... but I know the US was training the Ukrainians in gorilla war tactics with an expectation that the country would fall.

2 minutes ago, level9 said:

I believe the current thinking is that he'll install a puppet government. It does work.. they've done it before elsewhere. As to whether it will work in Ukraine, I couldn't say... but I know the US was training the Ukrainians in gorilla war tactics with an expectation that the country would fall.

And people don't know about "Muppet Governments"? Most people will still rebel them. If not i will simply leave the country it self. Especially if their home is destroyed, nothing to return to.

I would 100% kill that government, if i had a chance. Especially if they are some "new faces" that have never been seen in Ukraine before.

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3416412-eu-partners-to-hand-over-70-waplanes-to-ukrainian-army.html 

logo_eng.svgUkrainian multimedia platform for broadcasting

EU partners to hand over 70 waplanes to Ukrainian Army

EU partners to hand over 70 waplanes to Ukrainian Army

01.03.2022 01:55

Foreign partners will hand over as many as 70 warplanes to the Ukrainian Army – MiG-29s and Su-25s – to repel Russian aggression.

As Ukrinform reports, the Land Forces of Ukraine announced this on Facebook.

“’Ghosts of Kyiv’ will now have more! Plus 70 planes for the Ukrainian Army! Our partners are giving us MiG-29s and Su-25s! If necessary, they will be able to be based on Polish airfields from which Ukrainian pilots will perform combat missions," said the report.

Bulgaria will hand over 16 MiG-29s and 14 Su-25s, Poland – 28 MiG-29s, and Slovakia – 12 MiG-29s.

As Ukrinform reported, President Volodymyr Zelensky insists on a full no-fly zone for the Russian missiles, planes, and helicopters.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paul A said:

If necessary, they will be able to be based on Polish airfields from which Ukrainian pilots will perform combat missions

That's great they're getting planes but that statement is disconcerting... Russia could easily interpret that as an act of war and retaliate against Poland which is NATO.. and there you have your WWIII.

If I were Poland I'd probably land them on a road (Polish side). Fuel 'em up. Push them across the border where a Ukrainian pilot is waiting to jump in and they can take off from there. They'll have to find another place to land...

European countries are already supplying Ukraine with weapons.

Don't think Putin wants to open another front and attack Poland.  

Currently, other countries are refraining from direct involvement.

The threat of strategic nukes, not tactical nukes, would be the most concerning.

8 minutes ago, Paul A said:

European countries are already supplying Ukraine with weapons.

Yes. This doesn't concern me too much. The US (and to an extent NATO) and Russia have been fighting proxy wars for a looooong time in this way (as well as others) and it's never developed itself into a world war. So... this isn't necessarily... unusual.

11 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Don't think Putin wants to open another front and attack Poland.  

Hold up. First, Putin wants Poland. At the least, the eastern half. He's stated as much for a long time. Again, the macro-level issue isn't really just about Ukraine. Giving him a pretext to achieve his goals is.. inadvisable.

And how exactly would the Ukrainians taking off from a Polish base work? Can the Russians immediately attempt to shoot them down... where... at the border?

What happens if a Ukrainian is flying "home" to a "neutral" Polish air base/space and a Russian mig fires an air-to-air missile and it just so happens to not contact the Ukrainian mig until after its over the Polish border and that mig so happens to come crashing down into a Polish city killing 2 Polish women and a child? How does that play out? I mean.. the Russians didn't technically enter Polish air space, right?

OK, let's say intent. So say the Ukrainian was flying west - not towards the Polish border, an A-to-A missile was fired and the Ukrainian suddenly veered north and crossed the border (at which point the heat-seeking missile followed) and then was downed over Polish territory anyway? How does that work? Is that a border violation? If so, isn't it the Ukrainians fault? and if not... why can't the Russians just go ahead and shoot down the Ukrainians the minute they take off from the Polish base so long as they physically keep their persons on the contested side of the border? What's wrong with that?

See the problem? It's a legal nightmare.. and a really bad idea. Wars have been started over such things. The risk is simply too high. If I were Poland, I would deny such request...

Keep in mind. The goal here.. is to not get the US and/or NATO directly involved in a war with Russia - which has never happened thus far. The stakes are simply too high.. and Putin is simply too unstable. There's just no telling what he might do in such circumstances. And as a reminder, the Russians have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world many, many times over should they desire to do so.

As you can see.. it's an extraordinarily very fine line we must walk here... one slip-up and we're all dead.