Ninebot One P Discontinued?

noisycarlos

I saw this on the Ninebot US web site. Anybody know what the deal is? Where they getting fried or something?

UPDATE Feb. 2nd, 2016

We received word today that the Ninebot One Pro has been discontinued and will no longer be produced.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Screenshot_20160204-212854.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I'm wondering.

I've read of some people here that had trouble with the board not being able to handle the load and burning out. 

So I'm guessing they're not selling it while they fix all that. But it's just a guess. Hopefully someone here will have more info.

Last month at the CES Fair in Vegas I had an opportunity to ask some senior Ninebot people about the reported control-board failures, & if pairing a 800W motor with only 30 cells was really suitable in the P. Off the record I was told they were working on an update with more cells & an up-rated control-board, with a larger heat-sink & told it was a couple months off. In light of this new information, there's no reason to hold back this news.

Let's remember that when the Ninebot One was first announced, almost a year and a half ago, it was a pretty exceptional/sophisticated piece of kit & had that wow factor in shovels. I'm somewhat disappointed that for a >$1B company there hasn't been a steady stream of new single-Wheel products/designs flowing out of their labs. Since then the competition has made enormous strides eroding this exceptionalism:

IPS Zero: arguably just a aesthetically pleasing, better performance, but 4kg (10lbs) lighter! I mean that's really a massive difference. While weight may not be everyone's priority, if I was looking for a Wheel for commuting & had to lug up a 9B1 everyday on a escalator or stair, the choice would be obvious.

Inmotion V5: it may not have the circular flashing lights, but IMO the construction, ride quality, attention to detail really makes this a top contender as well. In a month or two, Inmotion will be making a HS version of the V5 which will be capable of 25-30kph. This too is around 3kg lighter than the 9B1.

KS 16: similar price as the P, but with more than double the battery capacity & an integrated handle to offset it's weight.  

Uniwheel: another contender after the P's target market. Nice design & good all-rounder but for the moment has limited range owing to the choice of LiFePo4 cells.

56b4b3fbe17ca_SubjectiveWeight.jpg.455ad

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Last month at the CES Fair in Vegas I had an opportunity to ask some senior Ninebot people about the reported control-board failures, & if pairing a 800W motor with only 30 cells was really suitable in the P. Off the record I was told they were working on an update with more cells & an up-rated control-board, with a larger heat-sink & told it was a couple months off. In light of this new information, there's no reason to hold back this news.

Jason,

I agree that the controller would really benefit from beefing up but in light of knowing the battery cells in the P are capable of delivering 20A continuous each or 40A (15s/2p) for the pack, do you think that this would not be sufficient?  Even at 3V per cell, the pack can [theoretically] still deliver 1440W (assuming 80% efficiency).  Of course I also don't know if the BMS is configured to take full advantage of this current either (haven't found specs on the IC).  I've personally experienced a shutdown by the BMS after hitting a 2" sidewalk lip that caused the P to shut down completely and it would not reset until I unplugged the battery momentarily.

It would be nice to be able to have more testing done on these packs (and even the controllers) to see if they meet manufacturers claims. :)

if existing preorders are filled this month that would be key as we'll know immediately if there are any component changes and if so can deduct reason.  

If they are same, could be NB decided to make changes as a p+ since that would have most likely been in pipeline and they could ride out sales for longer period as a newer model with same changes.

I emailed nbUS and got zero reply.   These companies have to know the US is lawsuit crazy and it's in there best interest to be proactive.  Silence is scary......

From Ninebot US on FB just now:

"There is some confusion internally as to what exactly is going on regarding the P's. We are currently verifying what we were originally told and once we can confirm whats going on from Ninebot Inc. we will publicly address the situation."

Lol. Yeah, 1.2.2 worked well on my e+. But I don't think the P was out yet. 

I think all those updates were about making the P work in the first place... It's been a while (relatively speaking) since 1.3.5 came out, so maybe they gave up and are going to actually use a different board for the P+.

• 1 month later...

Hey EU people,

I was actually one of the 30 in the U.S. that received one of Al's first shipments from NB1. (Of the 30 p's he received) Tbh it was the most fun machine I have ever ridden hands down. It was so fast, smooth, and quiet. I thought I had found the one. But sure enough it broke. After a month of riding it I took it on a couple mile trip on our local bike path. After riding for about 15 minutes I decided to turn around and when I decelerated the scooter (which I did abruptly) the pins on my board got so hot they melted to the brakes of the unit and stopped the wheel sending it barreling down the street in a tumble roll leaving me standing scratching my head and being thankful for my life. Needless to say I had to carry the piece of (super heavy)  junk forever to get back to my car. I called Al and he had me send it back. After telling me the wheel was shot (a 3 week process...) I was upset but refunded. I decided to go get the NB1 E+ since it was the predecessor of the unit I had fallen in love with. This is where my story get's kinda hateful. I went with NB1 because they were suppose to represent a quality product and service when compared to the cheap units costing $180 off eBay. The NB1 E+ i received came very short of this and I'd have to say it was the worst EU I have purchased. (This happened just after Christmas this year) This is because it was refurbished. After riding the E+ for two days it would no longer take a charge so I again called up Al. Al had me send it back again. I then I had to call him multiple times to get a response as to what's going on with my EU. He gave me a hesitant call back and informed me the someone had messed with the control board on my Ninebot and had put glue and other shanty fix techniques inside it. He was basically telling me I messed it up and he didn't want to honor the warranty. I told him why "why in gods name would I open up a $1000 dollar EU with a warranty 2 days after opening it." I went on to tell him how I was insulted for making the accusation and he should be the one apologizing for sending out products that are clearly not new. So BUYERS BEWARE. That being said I loved the product when it worked.  Also the refunds take forever and you basically need to yell at Al to get him to send you one. 

7 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

Pins melted to brakes?

What?

mosfets pins melted down

"unable to maintain power, which causes the engine to shut off" - I think that's what he meant

• 4 weeks later...

From reading about the P, I get the impression that it was too fast.  My thought is that Ninebot realized the liability issue with people getting hurt and those people not understanding how to ride it. 

Archived