Wheels officially banned in Hong Kong

Lefteris

As mentioned in the topictitle, they are banning anything that has a motor even electric ones. In HK they have sidewalks but, still.. everything bad stated from somewhere.. :-/

Your opinions on this, and the affects it may have on the global market? 

Source : Wheels officially banned in Hong Kong.

FB_IMG_1454505966390.jpg

notice (no segway hoverboard & unicycle) eng.pdf

3 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

You can check the discussion from this post onwards::)

Oh nice, i've searched with words ban and Kong and didn't seam to find something, that's why I started this thread.. and to be honest.. its a matter that may need it's own thread.. even in off topic! 

14 hours ago, Lefteros (SomniusX) said:

Oh nice, i've searched with words ban and Kong and didn't seam to find something, that's why I started this thread.. and to be honest.. its a matter that may need it's own thread.. even in off topic! 

They already banned Electric Mobility Devices in Macao ahead of Hong Kong.

The right way should have been proper education for riders and having a set of rules and limitations. A total ban of these products is bad for the Chinese economy since the Chinese people are the principal producers and also the major consumers. The government should also give certain guidelines and quality standards certification for these products to filter out the bad ones from the market.

1 minute ago, SlowMo said:

They already banned Electric Mobility Devices in Macao ahead of Hong Kong.

Yes saw that too.. 

Maybe they fall into the same category of people that ban the 2wheels all over the world for airports and specific places even some public areas   

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

The right way should have been proper education for riders and having a set of rules and limitations. A total ban of these products is bad for the Chinese economy since the Chinese people are the principal producers and also the major consumers. The government should also give certain guidelines and quality standards certification for these products to filter out the bad ones from the market.

Well that is something that needs attention, starting from the government going thru the manufacturer to the buyer.. 

for example like in the US that there are manuals that gave more than enough certifications also guidelines on how to use them and also how NOT to use them, i've seen a car battery instructions and failsafe manual graphically displaying NOT to open the car battery and drink the fluids..

on a recent group chat with friends about that situation they said that people deliberately do these stupid things and the sue the company and such.. 

it's over the top but companies that produce EUCs should at least acompany them with the certificates and manuals that include failsafe instructions.. 

The TD have only cherry picked what actual government have said in press release.  Ban from roads has always been there.  Sidewalks are a slightly different matter.  Yes if you are in the heart of the city and you ride and law enforcement sees you you are going to get into trouble.  As its very crowded in the central areas, even walking is difficult there.  However if you ride in the more rural areas where there are not much people you are not consider a danger.  Its dependent on what law enforcement think about the given situation.

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201512/09/P201512090307.htm

Based on the document ...

There may be a need to set up designated lanes for mobility devices which are separated from vehicles and pedestrians if mobility devices are to be used without posing high risk to other road users (including the pedestrians) and obstructing the vehicular and pedestrian flow. 

So there may be plans to make lanes for us! Look if the whole electric vehicle thing does catch up the next 10 years are going to be a renovating era.. we will probably see even stranger things like drone cars and other stuff, but to be specific, personal mobility is going to be electric and most probably gonna need it's lanes :D

Anyways, i've talked with my friend from i-Wheel here in Greece, and as i thought he too thinks that the plans for the near future are not yet clear and are mostly fluid.. the next couple of years will open up opportunities for new technologies and businesses, we can hope our beloved hobby being somewhere at the center ! :P 

Archived