Has anyone has figured out better ways to test your wheels limits

Nevin@Tec-toyz.com

Just curious if there are any better ways out there to test your wheels limits.

I know a lot of EUC rider do the lift test.

Many rider don't know about the hand pressure test, some call it the Russian hand test.

Anyone built a rig to test wheel speed yet? Lol I'd love to see a mini dyno'd wheel.

Or something that can messure force to the pedals to find the limits of the wheel.

please share your thoughts...

I saw the hand pressure test in a video link in another post (which I can't now locate) and was horrified how some of the wheels just fell over. I realised it is a very simple and safe test that will certainly highlight very poor wheels. I tried the same test - pushing down hard on one end of both peddles with both hands - on my 500W KingSong and I couldn't stop it from trying to drive away, so happy my wheel passes that test.

It occurs to me that one obvious speed test has to be to use a treadmill with the wheel tethered so it can't fly off and actually standing on it. Only two problems with that: Finding a gym that would actually allow you to do it! How you make sure you don't get sent flying by the treadmill  if he wheel does collapse.

1 minute ago, zlymex said:

There is a video that I downloaded before showing an EUC on a test bench. Here is a screen shot cos I cannot upload the video and the source has gone.
IPS0.thumb.jpg.6e683ef9f56538063ae0705e8

That's static testing no real balancing torque from real world roads. If someone set max speed on such testing we see again this nice 9b1 dipp forward problem.

3 hours ago, NevNutz said:

Just curious if there are any better ways out there to test your wheels limits.

I know a lot of EUC rider do the lift test.

Many rider don't know about the hand pressure test, some call it the Russian hand test.

Anyone built a rig to test wheel speed yet? Lol I'd love to see a mini dyno'd wheel.

Or something that can messure force to the pedals to find the limits of the wheel.

please share your thoughts...

We need to setup a test parcours somewhere to make back to back tests. All EUs to been tested must be fitted with measuring equipment and than different drivers need to do some test regarding a testbook. Jason started doing some test drives. This needs to be enhanced.

6 hours ago, Keith said:

I saw the hand pressure test in a video link in another post (which I can't now locate) and was horrified how some of the wheels just fell over. I realised it is a very simple and safe test that will certainly highlight very poor wheels. I tried the same test - pushing down hard on one end of both peddles with both hands - on my 500W KingSong and I couldn't stop it from trying to drive away, so happy my wheel passes that test.

It occurs to me that one obvious speed test has to be to use a treadmill with the wheel tethered so it can't fly off and actually standing on it. Only two problems with that: Finding a gym that would actually allow you to do it! How you make sure you don't get sent flying by the treadmill  if he wheel does collapse.

Well you the wheel tethered so it doesn't go flying off at cutout, and you have the person holding the the side rails at all times like you doing a body press. You just have to have enough pressure on the pedals to make it go forward.

But then, again, it's not as accurate because it does not have the full rider weight on the EU. Best it can do is give a safety net on what speed you should never reach to avoid a over speed cutout.

• 3 months later...

How safe are life tests? (if anyone knows) Can they damage the machines?

I have performed lift tests on 3 different unicycles: Solowheel Xtreme, Gotway MCM4, and KingSong16. 

Also, I found that enabling the tiltback does not change the cutoff speed. It will cut off at same speed, tiltback or not. For example, my MCM4 cuts off at the same app speed of around 33 kph even if I enable the tiltback. This means I get a max safety buffer of 10 kph app speed if riding with tiltback on. 

Tilt back safety buffers discovered: KS and SW have forced tiltback well below their cutoff speeds. Meaning they are given a significant safety buffer. King Song and Solowheel have 15 kph safety buffers. Meaning their lift test give 15 kph more than the speed that the max tiltback is set at.

Archived