Whatever machine you're riding, I'm always impressed by the concentration of technology that drives it.

This technology reserved for niche products, for communities such as electric unicycles, kickscooters or segway ninebot gyropods is however quite accessible in terms of price.

Everywhere in the world, the legislations and the limits imposed concerning our right to circulate on the public roads, abruptly stopped the democratization and the rise of these machines in our countries.

If there is indeed a big winner, between these legislations, and the current pandemic, it is the rise of 2 electric wheels, in my country there is even a bonus for the purchase, electric mopeds, electric motorbikes and above all electric bikes.

However, if I made the comparison between the cost of EUC technology or Segways, with an electric bike, I always wonder why electric bikes are just as much or even more expensive than our machines, yet they are produced in huge quantities.

The price of electric bikes increases very quickly depending on the capacity of the battery, the power of the motor (the weight of the bike also increases), the autonomy, the technological additions such as a gps tracker.

I'm still passionate about my segway ninebot gyropod (the MINI "S"PLUS, the one with 35km of autonomy and which has a follow-me system), it's almost five years old soon, I'm at 12,354 miles/19 882 kilometers with it (its LG battery lasted 4 years!), I became fat, and therefore I have less autonomy.

So since I'm not good at riding a unicycle, I turned to electric bikes, as I can't afford an electric moped or an electric motorcycle.

I have a small Himo Z20, 20" wheels, ideal for the city, 49 lbs/22 kg, aluminum, 50 miles/80 km range, 3-fold, quiet motor, but 22 kg/49 lbs to carry when it lacks a carrying handle, it's a little difficult.

I often go to the Indiegogo site since Segway-Ninebot is selling some of its new products in preview (Go kart, Loomo, kickscooter), I look a little at the trends of what is being made the most recent in concept, and especially the prices starting points are always very low before they are put on the world market.

And there I dreamed! My dream weighs 14 kg ! 
It is the lightest and most sophisticated electric bike that exists today! Its launch price is almost affordable to my wallet (2199 dollars euros).

2199_poster.thumb.jpg.5592adc22724daa5d150f452ccb18cf7.jpg

(As usual in my topics and as I still haven't progressed in English -thanks to the automatic translator, I'm copying and pasting the descriptions of the specs and features of this bike)

This bike talks! (Loomo was talking too)

This e-bike has :

LED Dot Matrix display array screen

Voice Control, GPS navigations, Update Over the Air, Integrated 2 noise-canceling mics and 3W box speakers, and AI voice
recognize tech, you can voice communicating with your e-bike and control it.

GPS location and smart connections: You can take control of your bike via Urtopia app. Urtopia GPS system can inform you of the exact position of your Urtopia e-bike via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and 4G connections.

OTA supported: Your e-bike can be upgraded and updated automatically
Urtopia App: Urtopia e-bike can be connected to your phone using the Urtopia app. You can take full control of your bike right at your fingertips

Millimeter-wave radar: Millimeter-wave radar can detect cars from behind and notify you.
Gyroscope: Urtopia Gyroscope can monitor the bike balance, and it can notify you if the e-bike falls down, keeping you safer. The Gyroscope knows it the e-bike is hitting a hill with steep slopes.

Fingerprint unlock, GPS anti-theft, and keyless unlock: You can unlock your Urtopia e-bike using your fingerprint, or Urtopia APP on your phone. While locked, Urtopia e-bike turns on a guarding mode to guard against theft, as well as GPS tracking so you always know
where your bike is.

Removeable battery Battery range: Up to 130km - Fast charge: 36V 4A charging, it takes less than 2.5 hours to get the e-bike fully charged.
Charger: Customized 36V / 4A charger.

Motor: Customized 250 W rear hub motor with built-in clutch: Different from other e-bikes’ clutch which increases the mechanical damping when being powered off. Torque sensor + rear wheel hub motor.

5-speed modes: There are 5-speed modes available for choosing, among which there are 4 levels of pedal assistance (Comfort, Eco, Sport and turbo modes).e-bike automatically detects the need for speed changing and adds pedal assistance within 0.2 seconds accordingly. Activate with voice control too !

Tires: 35 mm 700C Urtopia customized tires, puncture-resistant tires
Front and rear Hydraulic brake system: Hydraulic brake system makes your riding more stable and reliable than the mechanical brake.

Carbon fiber frame, fork, and handlebars.

Gates carbon belt transmission: Durable, smooth, and quiet. No oily chain to mess with and no maintenance required. The carbon belt can last up to 30,000 kilometers.if you download the belt manufacturer's application, you can measure its tension using the phone's microphone!

Lightweight: Only 14 kg/30lbs in weight for a standard 700C e-bike, Urtopia carbon e-bike is one of the lightest full size Ebike in the market.

Futuristic e-bike design: Designed by former BMW i series designer Mathis Heller. Inspired by the concept of the Möbius strip which is a symbol of infinity and endless connection, Urtopia dedicates to recycling energy, reducing waste, as well as creating a greener future
with infinite possibilities of exploration for all.

Specs (short)

Colors: 3 patterns
Rider height: 2 sizes designed for riders with a height range from 165cm-200cm, the maximal weight-bearing is 110kg.
Weight: 14 kg
Battery range: Up to 130km
Charging time: 2.5 hours to get fully charged per time
Top speed: 25 km/h (EU version ) and 32 km/h (US version)
Warranty: 2 year
Controlling method: Smartbar and app
Frame: Carbon fiber
Fork: Carbon fiber
Handlebar: Carbon fiber
Belt: Gates carbon belt - last up to 30.000 km
Brakes: Hydraulic braking system
Electrics:
Motor: Customized 250 W rear hub motor
Connectivity: Bluetooth, 4G, Wifi
Battery: 10Ah, 360 WH Samsung battery
Charger: Customized 36V / 4A charger
Mobile app: iOS and Android

It's all this technology that I like, the rear headlight projects direction lights on the ground :o !

There I dreamed!

This bike is an improvement, an evolution of the bike, all the technology is combined to maximize the safety of the cyclist or the bike. Many high tech or specialized sites have talked about it since last November. You should know that this bike has had the support of top athletes, even champions, Americans, Germans (no one french?)

The youtube videos of athletes who have tested the URTOPIA bike

and a funny video

I let you discover it in photos in my google album. If anyone here has ordered it before, I'll be happy to read their user feedback. :)

987833496_Screenshot2022-01-2700_37_26.png.f93d7fcb0376cdd0bfa1b3ba55b2ab1e.png   https://sites.google.com/view/mini-j-world/home#h.uktzt1a0vmvp

Edited by jojo33

• 4 weeks later...

Germans will have the chance to see it at the CYCLINGWORLD show in Dusseldorf from March 18th to 20th
Danes too, at the COPENHAGEN BIKE SHOW from March 12th to 13th.

If you go there, please give us feedback on this bike, thank you!

Edited by jojo33

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 4:41 PM, jojo33 said:

Whatever machine you're riding, I'm always impressed by the concentration of technology that drives it.

This technology reserved for niche products, for communities such as electric unicycles, kickscooters or segway ninebot gyropods is however quite accessible in terms of price.

Everywhere in the world, the legislations and the limits imposed concerning our right to circulate on the public roads, abruptly stopped the democratization and the rise of these machines in our countries.

If there is indeed a big winner, between these legislations, and the current pandemic, it is the rise of 2 electric wheels, in my country there is even a bonus for the purchase, electric mopeds, electric motorbikes and above all electric bikes.

However, if I made the comparison between the cost of EUC technology or Segways, with an electric bike, I always wonder why electric bikes are just as much or even more expensive than our machines, yet they are produced in huge quantities.

The price of electric bikes increases very quickly depending on the capacity of the battery, the power of the motor (the weight of the bike also increases), the autonomy, the technological additions such as a gps tracker.

I'm still passionate about my segway ninebot gyropod (the MINI "S"PLUS, the one with 35km of autonomy and which has a follow-me system), it's almost five years old soon, I'm at 12,354 miles/19 882 kilometers with it (its LG battery lasted 4 years!), I became fat, and therefore I have less autonomy.

So since I'm not good at riding a unicycle, I turned to electric bikes, as I can't afford an electric moped or an electric motorcycle.

I have a small Himo Z20, 20" wheels, ideal for the city, 49 lbs/22 kg, aluminum, 50 miles/80 km range, 3-fold, quiet motor, but 22 kg/49 lbs to carry when it lacks a carrying handle, it's a little difficult.

I often go to the Indiegogo site since Segway-Ninebot is selling some of its new products in preview (Go kart, Loomo, kickscooter), I look a little at the trends of what is being made the most recent in concept, and especially the prices starting points are always very low before they are put on the world market.

And there I dreamed! My dream weighs 14 kg ! 
It is the lightest and most sophisticated electric bike that exists today! Its launch price is almost affordable to my wallet (2199 dollars euros).

2199_poster.thumb.jpg.5592adc22724daa5d150f452ccb18cf7.jpg

(As usual in my topics and as I still haven't progressed in English -thanks to the automatic translator, I'm copying and pasting the descriptions of the specs and features of this bike)

This bike talks! (Loomo was talking too)

This e-bike has :

LED Dot Matrix display array screen

Voice Control, GPS navigations, Update Over the Air, Integrated 2 noise-canceling mics and 3W box speakers, and AI voice
recognize tech, you can voice communicating with your e-bike and control it.

GPS location and smart connections: You can take control of your bike via Urtopia app. Urtopia GPS system can inform you of the exact position of your Urtopia e-bike via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and 4G connections.

OTA supported: Your e-bike can be upgraded and updated automatically
Urtopia App: Urtopia e-bike can be connected to your phone using the Urtopia app. You can take full control of your bike right at your fingertips

Millimeter-wave radar: Millimeter-wave radar can detect cars from behind and notify you.
Gyroscope: Urtopia Gyroscope can monitor the bike balance, and it can notify you if the e-bike falls down, keeping you safer. The Gyroscope knows it the e-bike is hitting a hill with steep slopes.

Fingerprint unlock, GPS anti-theft, and keyless unlock: You can unlock your Urtopia e-bike using your fingerprint, or Urtopia APP on your phone. While locked, Urtopia e-bike turns on a guarding mode to guard against theft, as well as GPS tracking so you always know
where your bike is.

Removeable battery Battery range: Up to 130km - Fast charge: 36V 4A charging, it takes less than 2.5 hours to get the e-bike fully charged.
Charger: Customized 36V / 4A charger.

Motor: Customized 250 W rear hub motor with built-in clutch: Different from other e-bikes’ clutch which increases the mechanical damping when being powered off. Torque sensor + rear wheel hub motor.

5-speed modes: There are 5-speed modes available for choosing, among which there are 4 levels of pedal assistance (Comfort, Eco, Sport and turbo modes).e-bike automatically detects the need for speed changing and adds pedal assistance within 0.2 seconds accordingly. Activate with voice control too !

Front and rear Hydraulic brake system: Hydraulic brake system makes your riding more stable and reliable than the mechanical brake.

Carbon fiber frame, fork, and handlebars(all of these are suitable).

Gates carbon belt transmission: Durable, smooth, and quiet. No oily chain to mess with and no maintenance required. The carbon belt can last up to 30,000 kilometers.if you download the belt manufacturer's application, you can measure its tension using the phone's microphone!

Lightweight: Only 14 kg/30lbs in weight for a standard 700C e-bike, Urtopia carbon e-bike is one of the lightest full size Ebike in the market.

Futuristic e-bike design: Designed by former BMW i series designer Mathis Heller. Inspired by the concept of the Möbius strip which is a symbol of infinity and endless connection, Urtopia dedicates to recycling energy, reducing waste, as well as creating a greener future
with infinite possibilities of exploration for all.

Specs (short)

Colors: 3 patterns
Rider height: 2 sizes designed for riders with a height range from 165cm-200cm, the maximal weight-bearing is 110kg.
Weight: 14 kg
Battery range: Up to 130km
Charging time: 2.5 hours to get fully charged per time
Top speed: 25 km/h (EU version ) and 32 km/h (US version)
Warranty: 2 year
Controlling method: Smartbar and app
Frame: Carbon fiber
Fork: Carbon fiber
Handlebar: Carbon fiber
Belt: Gates carbon belt - last up to 30.000 km
Brakes: Hydraulic braking system
Electrics:
Motor: Customized 250 W rear hub motor
Connectivity: Bluetooth, 4G, Wifi
Battery: 10Ah, 360 WH Samsung battery
Charger: Customized 36V / 4A charger
Mobile app: iOS and Android

It's all this technology that I like, the rear headlight projects direction lights on the ground :o !

There I dreamed!

This bike is an improvement, an evolution of the bike, all the technology is combined to maximize the safety of the cyclist or the bike. Many high tech or specialized sites have talked about it since last November. You should know that this bike has had the support of top athletes, even champions, Americans, Germans (no one french?)

The youtube videos of athletes who have tested the URTOPIA bike

and a funny video

I let you discover it in photos in my google album. If anyone here has ordered it before, I'll be happy to read their user feedback. :)

987833496_Screenshot2022-01-2700_37_26.png.f93d7fcb0376cdd0bfa1b3ba55b2ab1e.png   https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vp6TMYAbeM2rbYL

link to indiegogo https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/urtopia-carbon-electric-bike-new-urban-utopia--2#/

Hi! I wish all the best to your project! What about average retail price? Is the handlebar removable? Is there any opportunity to order it to the USA? 

Kind regards, Frank

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FairFrank said:

Hi! I wish all the best to your project! What about average retail price? Is the handlebar removable? Is there any opportunity to order it to the USA? 

Kind regards, Frank

Thank you for your message, but it's not my project  :efeff54d4a:  I just shared here what I had seen on INDIEGOGO.

The crowdfunding campaign is over, the first orders have been shipped to the USA for the first bakers. The Europeans who took part in the campaign are also waiting for their e-bike.
For USA and Germany, the e-bike is going to be pre-sale on their official website   https://newurtopia.com https://newurtopia.com/pages/e-bike

For Americans, you are lucky because the dollar price is lower than the European price (it is surely at because of tax). The pre-sale will allow to have a big reduction on the final price ($100 in pre order=$500 off). The price for USA seems to be from $2,799.00 to $3,399.00

They say the delivery is scheduled for next MAY, because of the pandemic.

About the handlebar, From the photo, the handlebar "SMARTBAR" cannot be changed because it has the LED screen, the speakers, the microphone, the gps, the sim card, the biometric lock. It is removable to change it for a new one, but not customizable.

in-the-box-1645684779036.jpg?v=1645684781

Edited by jojo33
  • Like 1

Two tutorial videos that allow us to better see the bike in all its forms.
The assembly video where you can see the unboxing, the cables are well hidden in the frame, the assembly is simple and ingenious.
And the getting started video of the SMARTBAR, with voice control, biometric locking, projected lights...

Edited by jojo33
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only for Germans and Americans, the URTOPIA ebike is on pre-sale. with a good deal, because the price (2 700 eur = 2999 -400 eur if pre order and deposit of 100 eur) is lower than the last sale on Indiegogo. If they do not sell in other countries it is in my opinion that they have not found repairers as partners (they send the parts that the technician must change)

• 1 month later...

I have been an observer of the whole campaign of this bike.

Often on Indiegogo, certain projects do not succeed. Normally backers are refunded.
When the campaign is over, the funds raised are used to launch production and set up the logistics for transporting the bikes.

Based in Hong Kong, the New Urtopia company launched production on the mainland, in China. The resurgence of COVID really affected the deadlines, but they were kept. Deliveries are in progress in the USA, the finish of the bike is perfect, a backer had defective saddle screws. Others are disappointed with the engine's power uphill.

The power of the motor is explained as follows: the bike to be light has a 250w motor, the campaign is geared towards urban use, therefore the flattest possible terrain. My little Himo Z20 also has a small 250W motor and yes it is difficult on the hill, but the weight of the rider is also to be taken into account.

The feedback on the integrated GPS chips is good, as is the quality.

The delivery time was long, what takes the most time is shipping, customs and dispatching by the delivery companies.

In a crowdfunding campaign, we see a lot of opinions from dissatisfied backers, this is mainly due to the waiting time of the product.
If you want to become a backer on Indiegogo, you need a lot of patience, unless the product you are interested in is made locally.
I have looked at current e-bike projects, and the trend is confirmed on carbon fiber electric bikes with a transmission chain also in carbon. They are generally equipped with a control screen, a GPS chip.

The URTOPIA ebike is a pioneer in bringing together the maximum of technological options, in connectivity (gps, esim, rear radar and projected lights).
On the quality/prox ratio, they lower the price of high-end carbon bikes. All equivalent carbon bikes are less equipped in technologies and are more expensive. Urtopia bike will soon be sold on online stores, if it is successful and if it is really of good quality then the competition will give us better bikes at affordable prices.

Here are some of the current or upcoming projects on Indiegogo. (some from UK, Canada, USA)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/strom-city-m-2-0-the-future-of-commuting/pica

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As the topic has been seen more than 500 times, I give news of the real conditions of the URTOPIA ebike, since I am a subscriber to the Urtopia E-bike Group. User feedback is valuable to know what the performance and limits of this bike are.

The URTOPIA bike has really been designed for urban or flat area use. Users living in hilly areas with upward slopes between 10% and 15% encounter difficulties in climbing them.
Users living in flat areas are very satisfied.

If you want to buy it, you absolutely have to live in a flat area.
Even if the maximum weight supported is 110kg/242Lbs, you know very well here that the ideal will be between 75-85 kg/165-187lbs.

these important points are applicable for all smart ebikes similar to the URTOPIA ebike.

The firmware of the smartbar is constantly evolving, there are tweaks and adjustments being perfected. Firmaware side, app side, GPS tracking, esim.

Finally, even if a table of precise measurements concerning the body of the user and the ergonomics of urtopia was provided beforehand, there are still negative opinions on the morphology-ergonomics adaptation.

But these must be personal cases where users have not made sure to examine all these measurements closely.

At the hardware level, all the reviews posted are good, problems with broken hardware, but we can't know if it comes from a user who tried to fix a setting himself since these reviews appeared after the first uses.
In any case, the company reacts very quickly to respond to customer requests.
It should be remembered that this is a prototype bike whose design was based on suggestions from backers.

The first wave of delivery had flaws that were immediately readjusted.

This whole topic gives you an idea of the price, the evolution of smart ebikes and the advantages and disadvantages of buying such a bike.
I hope this has been useful to you.

• 9 months later...

Latest news for the Carbon from New Urtopia, Americans can try it for free in Los Angeles and Orlando!

Locations:
Los Angeles, CA Bike Attack Playa Vista
Address: 12775 W Millennium, Los Angeles, CA 90094
Orlando, FL Wheel Works E-Bikes
Address: 855 E Plant St Suite 600, Winter Garden, FL 34787
Book a Free Test Ride: https://newurtopia.com/pages/test-ride

• jojo33 changed the title to Urtopia Smart e-bike: Carbon 1 model
  • 3 months later...