One wheel gear issues

Goblyhoo

So my son was riding around with his friend and they were riding down a pretty traffic jammed road. My son has a full face helmet motor cross jacket and knee pads with protective boots. He’s pretty geared up. His friend on the other hand only wears a skateboard helmet. Now I’m not one to judge parenting. I let my kid buy a PEV that almost reaches 30mph (26). But the one wheel is a pretty serious thing. It’s quite fast and pretty powerful.

Now my son and him they were riding down this road in the biker lane and my son said and I quote “He ate road” luckily my son saw the board dip but he came home cut up and bruised. I was wondering if this is a norm or do people wear more protection and he is just particularly unsafe. Not saying that is bad just wondering if it is the norm. 

Minor cuts and bruises is a good outcome for eating road... without the gear the road rash would be more extensive and there may very well have been facial/head injuries to contend with. Good on your son for gearing up, this should make a believer out of him. Check out the "I love helmets" video.

FWIW, when I was starting out the gear bill got surprisingly high really quickly. While the wheel itself was a bit of a tough sell, adding quality protection was a slam dunk... it's a need, even though it supports a want. I'd be 100% on board with underwriting a portion of the gear bill for my kid—of course, pure vanity selections get put on their tab.

Add wrist guards with palm sliders. Using his palms as meat crayons would give him a valid excuse for not doing chores for quite some time and we can't have that.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Lisa Peters, Dutch downhill skate boarder, and friend.

Impressive, probably not a good example though.

With rock wall on one side, concrete bollards or over the cliff on the other, oncoming cars around blind curves that make you go splat....protective gear might be a slightly moot point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Add wrist guards with palm sliders. Using his palms as meat crayons would give him a valid excuse for not doing chores for quite some time and we can't have that.

Wrap em up and push thru the pain. No excuses allowed to skirt chores... The mortgage company doesnt give a crap if its hard for you to make money. They want paid. My parents used ot whip me THEN make me do chores. Extra salt in the wound to mow the yard with ass on fire and eyes full of tears. Ace bandages for screwed joints and bandaids for stuff that wont stop bleeding. Done and done. Ever push mow a yard on crutches? Its totally doable.. haha

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Very sorry to hear.

Hope there is peace, comfort and happiness now....abuse forever no more.

It was a great thing and I not only needed it, but deserved it. I wasnt an angel child :innocent1:. Trust me, the misbehaving prompted the discipline, not the other way around. No abuse, just a typical red ass and chores still needing done. Same when I did something stupid and got hurt. Oh I got some leeway, but falling off my bicycle was not a valid excuse to avoid chores. I injured myself so much more often and worse than what my fate was when the principal grabbed the paddle AND called my parents. Even that aint much in compare to what us kids used to do to each other as friends. "does THAT hurt", was what you heard, if you accidently showed a buddy an injury. You know, while he pushed his finger into it, just to check...:D

Edited by ShanesPlanet