put charger in shell

Milan

this could maybe lead to overheating if there is no air ventilation/convection posdible anymore. But that depends on the efficiency/power dissipation of your charger.... As first test you could put him into a small closed box and look REGULARLY if he gets (too) hot - dont let him overheat.

I don't see why this would be a good idea any way? ;)  The charger will just add some weight (well, not much really), take up space, there's the heat issue as Chriull mentioned above, and you still need a wire to plug it into an outlet. If it's not the "solid"-type of charger (ie. it has ventilation holes), it might also get moisture inside it, depending where inside the shell it is. I just don't get what you'd accomplish with this.

I think that the advantage is to have a charger always with you. So in case of a battery depleted, you can go inside a bar to drink a beer while charging your euc in any standard socket. All you need is a ac cable. Easier to carry instead of the charger.

I am thinking in my ninebot. Inside the circuit compartment I think that there are enough room to put the charger electronics.

A retractable cable will be another improvement.

Yes, it will add weight to the euc. Some people will prefer to have the charger inside, like me. Other people don't.

Anyway, if you ask me, any empty room would be better if filled with more batteries. 

Distinct models with different options inside would be great!

Designers and manufacturers are doing all they can to shed a few grams here and there so who in there right mind is going to add weight when they don't need to. If you want the charger with you loosely tie it around your waist and your problem is solved with no added weight.

10 hours ago, Rotator said:

I think that the advantage is to have a charger always with you. So in case of a battery depleted, you can go inside a bar to drink a beer while charging your euc in any standard socket. All you need is a ac cable. Easier to carry instead of the charger.

I am thinking in my ninebot. Inside the circuit compartment I think that there are enough room to put the charger electronics.

A retractable cable will be another improvement.

Yes, it will add weight to the euc. Some people will prefer to have the charger inside, like me. Other people don't.

Anyway, if you ask me, any empty room would be better if filled with more batteries. 

Distinct models with different options inside would be great!

Exactly how I was thinking. Now, my charger is in my backpack all the time. Even when I am not with wheel, my charger is in backpack. Logically, charger goes with EUC. Your idea of retractable cable is nice, so even cable will be included...

My charger does not have ventilation holes, and it does not overheat. In all this charger-in-shell thing, I am thinking also to take the charger out of its box, and put just electronic part inside the EUC. I am not sure if I have to provide switch to disconnect charger electronics from EUC electronics while it is in driving mode.

AirWheel Charger.jpg

i was thinking along these lines too. i want my euc as portable as possible, which means not having to lug a charger around all the time would be great. even if it adds a few hundred grams to the unit, this is the weight i usually carry nontheless. integrating a retractable cable from a vacuum cleaner could work well, but that might be heavier than the charger.

1 hour ago, Tomek said:

i was thinking along these lines too. i want my euc as portable as possible, which means not having to lug a charger around all the time would be great. even if it adds a few hundred grams to the unit, this is the weight i usually carry nontheless. integrating a retractable cable from a vacuum cleaner could work well, but that might be heavier than the charger.

Actually, to draw 1 or 2 amps from the AC socket, a lighter, thiner and short AC cable would be enough.

I agree it would be very convenient to always have a charger with you (even if you don't have your backpack).  Generally the instructions I have seen say to plug the charger into the wall first then into the EUC.  So would having it plugged into the EUC first (always) be an issue?

6 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

I agree it would be very convenient to always have a charger with you (even if you don't have your backpack).  Generally the instructions I have seen say to plug the charger into the wall first then into the EUC.  So would having it plugged into the EUC first (always) be an issue?

My instruction manual says first EUC, then wall..

9 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

What does it matter if in unit or in your backpack?

Sometimes, I walk. With my backpack. And a charger inside.

15 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

plus lower center of gravity....

The center of gravity may be lower with built in rather than carried but weight added to your body moves with you and is dynamic as oposed to weight added to the wheel which is fixed and a dead weight.

6 hours ago, Milan said:

My instruction manual says first EUC, then wall.

Ah ok so it varies then between wheels. I wonder if the order is really important. What is the result of doing it in the wrong order?

On 2/2/2016 at 3:42 AM, Milan said:

Exactly how I was thinking. Now, my charger is in my backpack all the time. Even when I am not with wheel, my charger is in backpack. Logically, charger goes with EUC. Your idea of retractable cable is nice, so even cable will be included...

My charger does not have ventilation holes, and it does not overheat. In all this charger-in-shell thing, I am thinking also to take the charger out of its box, and put just electronic part inside the EUC. I am not sure if I have to provide switch to disconnect charger electronics from EUC electronics while it is in driving mode.

It would definitely be convenient but I don't think it's practical. See the logos on the charger, such as CE and FCC? The charger by itself is supposedly tested for compliance with various standards. (Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese manufacturer simply added those logos without any compliance.) If the electronics are placed inside the EUC then the whole device has to be certified. That's why you see so many devices nowadays with wall warts, including printers. That way they don't have high voltage inside their box and can buy an off-the-shelf wall wart that has already been certified.

Imagine having high voltage inside your EUC where it is exposed to impacts and water, it will be a lot harder to get that certified. You could try mounting the entire finished power supply brick inside the shell somehow, but it's pretty big. If I have that much space inside the shell I'd rather use it for batteries!

I would indeed also like to get rid of the charger in my backpack. The main disadvantage I can see is that the charger needs to be able to withstand the physical impact from thousands of km of non-suspended driving, including potholes, jumps... There is a very good chance that the charger at hand is not designed to withstand this kind of repeated acceleration force stress and will get lose in some way or another.

After that, managing the cable is another annoying detail. 

Archived