KVS

KVS

Greetings, Ninebot One S2 here,

I'm about to purchase another unit but first wanted to hear what my issue might be.

The unit powers on and immediately powers off. Every time. 

I performed a reset by holding the button down and now it powers on and off automatically over and over again. 30 minutes so far. Currently in a hotel with no tools.

Thanks

It was driven for 3 miles and only one bar down. So no. But I plugged it in just now and 15 minutes later it stopped cycling and appears fine but, the charger still had a red light, despite the fact that the App showed 100%. So I'm scared I'm going to overcharge and start a fire. Perhaps theirs a bigger problem. I'm going to wear down the battery again by riding in circles to see if the problem persists and also charge it again and see if the battery explodes.

Any ideas?

11 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Should be possible to see with wheellog for android.

Since it's not cycling when it's plugged in, this is definitely worth a try. I don't know if any app will show diagnostics for the wheel, but if you are able to connect while it's on charger it's worth a check.

22 minutes ago, KVS said:

So I'm scared I'm going to overcharge and start a fire.

Assuming the charger isn't duff (they usually aren't), overcharging should not be a risk. Don't leave it on charger longer than you have to, and certainly don't wander away while it's plugged in until you know a bit more about the issue.

2 hours ago, KVS said:

I'm about to purchase another unit

Unless you really like messing around with it, I'd say "nope" to this unit! It could be a bad battery (expensive), bad hall sensors (new motor, expensive), bad control board (new board, expensive), or a combination of them.

Edited by Tawpie

So no chance that it could have been a rare software bug? I'm trying to replicate the issue by riding it down. 5 miles so far but nothing but it feels a bit dangerous if that happens in mid flight.

I don't have an android but I can give basic stats. I'm riding in freezing temperatures around 32 degrees F. Both batteries are equally discharged. 

Basic Info

Vehicle temp 80 inside

Total System current -.32A

Drive voltage 59.54V

Driver Temperature 77F

Battery:

Voltage 59.57V

Current .09A

Wattage -17.86W

Temp 78F/71F

• Like 2

Good call but I just turned transport mode on to see what it does and it functions slightly different. I have to long press it to turn back on. Not the constant power off it was doing immediately after I click press it on.

Well I wound down the battery to 70% yet it has not done anything weird. This could have been a weird software glitch but in any case I might purchase the Ninebot Z10 so I'm not left walking home with a 25lb weight as Twapie said. It is my work transportation and the Ninebot Z10 might do better in the snow anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KVS said:

Are Ninebot Z10s more reliable?

Ninebot is not anymore active in the EUC business. The Z10 was their last wheel quite some time ago - so these are not produced anymore, but you'll get one stored for long time without battery care?

Overall, afair a great wheel for it's time with some problems...

Oh I didn't know they weren't made anymore. Maybe their batteries are dying but I'm only in the EU for 9 months max then I'll end up giving it away. So the battery only needs to last that long. The Z10s are expensive though but it beats buying a car.

Hi Meep, because they look super funky and I haven't riden them. The One S2 is pretty minimal and hidden. No flash.

Also, the Z10 has a fat wheel and that might help with the snow. If you have anything similiar in style and that might work better in the snow, send a link.

Near as I can tell the Z10 has reached cult status... you love them for what they are in spite of the fact that they're ornery, unsupported, and can be difficult to ride. There's even some chatter that wheels with 2021 serial numbers have been spotted, but I have no idea how one decides if a serial number speaks to its actual date of manufacture.

I do understand that the Z10 BMS is always drawing power, even when the wheel is off. If the wheel wasn't charged regularly (like... monthly), the battery will be highly suspect. I also understand that the devotees marvel at the design and construction—it's evidently a high mark in the EUC evolution.

But I hear they don't like to turn until you teach them who's boss. And there's something about serial number locking that makes parts replacement very cupertino-like... if you can find replacement parts.

My 16X does great in the snow, and the S18 is proving itself now. Most anything with a 3" tire should be adept in snow as long as you remember to dry it vertically, that the batteries will drain faster due to the cold, and that it's very slippery... on an EUC, losing traction is a very bad thing indeed.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a Z10 if it's the wheel you want! Just be aware, you will need a good seller, because otherwise replacement parts might be a problem for a discontinued wheel by a manufacturer who never cared about providing service (and the Z10 has a bit of a reputation for the occasional hardware issue).

If it's about snow, a knobby tire is the perfect answer. You can go through snow, mud, wet grass, and it will just dig in and not slip. You can put one on any wheel. But if you like the Z10's looks, that's a perfectly good reason for getting a Z10.

• Like 1

I didn't need the wheel for longer than 9 months but I guess the $2000 price tag is not worth the risk of battery/parts failure on arrival.

I guess I'll buy another one S2 and put a knobby tire on it. I saw some online and their way wider. That should be good enough. 

Thanks for the help everyone and for saving me a buck

Edited by KVS
edit

On 1/21/2022 at 3:08 PM, KVS said:

I didn't need the wheel for longer than 9 months but I guess the $2000 price tag is not worth the risk of battery/parts failure on arrival.

I guess I'll buy another one S2 and put a knobby tire on it. I saw some online and their way wider. That should be good enough. 

Thanks for the help everyone and for saving me a buck

I own three E+ and a Z10, and have been riding Ninebots for nearly 6 years, but urge you to carefully reconsider the Z10 as your next wheel. I totally get the affection and love for the older Ninebots and still want to waste money trying to upgrade or fix them, despite knowing better. The Z10 is sexy, iconic and alluring. But it's not the girl you want to marry and is good only for an occasional fling. Although the Z10 is related it is very different and much harder to ride than an E+ or S2, and it can be very taxing and not much fun after a while. It can also be dangerous. I suggest you watch and heed Adam's advice in the video below. His assessment is spot-on.

A new Z10 is going for $1200 on AliExpress, assuming everything goes well with your order. However, the battery may be dead out of the box, and there was a higher risk of DOA units with the Z10 when it was first introduced. Parts are becoming hard to find and more expensive than wheels that are still in production. For example, I have tried to purchase a complete inner shell for my Z10 twice from China but the sellers (probably the same business using two different store fronts on AliExpress) canceled both orders near the end of the 90-day dispute period. [My Z10 cut-out on me near top speed early last summer and the inner shell was severly damaged and structurally compromised after tumbling for 50' or so, so I have not ridden it for over eight months.]

Open your mind and consider other wheels if you have the finances to do so. i recently purchased an MCM5v2 and love it: it has all the conveniences and power I wanted so desperately for my E+ to have and is just as easy to ride. It's not expensive compared to other wheels. I also have a deposit on an S20 and am looking forward to my first large wheel with suspension.

Finally, I keep a knobby tire (6x2.125 Kenda K-Rad ) year-round on one of my E+ and love it. I wonder if it would be a waste on the 14" S2 but if you can find one that fits it might be fun. The Kenda tire wore out twice as fast as the stock street tire, but cost me only $10USD.

Edited by litewave