First euc inmotion v8s vs mcm5 v2 or other?

Hi all,

I currently ride a onewheel pint at max 15-20 km/h usually 5-8 km trips mainly on sidewalks but also on quiet streets and bike lanes.

I want an euc for faster speed and longer range. I'm looking for a stable and comfortable wheel at 25-30 km/h, up to 10-15 km trips. I live in a fairly hilly area. 

I prioritise high build quality and reliability above anything else, so I'm a bit worried about gotway wheels, are they still recommended for beginners? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome aboard!

If you value quality and reliability, it's worth looking at Kingsong and Inmotion products. Avoid Gotway/Begode products as they may not inform the driver that a faceplant will be available after certain moment and they may ignite spontaneously. For example Inmotion and Kingsong will warn driver and tilt the pedals to avoid faceplant. The same is true for fire safety, Inmotion and Kingsong are much safer.

If you live in a hilly area, your euc will need at least 2000W motor. For example, the Inmotion V10F and KS-18L offer a pleasant ride and enjoyment. Of course, the suspension adds more driving pleasure, such as the V11 has.

In any case, we recommend that you get protective gear. If the situation gets a little bit hot, you have your protective gear and get up after the fall as if nothing had happened.

• Upvote 1

The V8s is better for beginners with its narrower shell, more durable plastic, better app, more ergonomic interface, more comfortable carrying handle and trolley handle.

The MCM5 v2 is better for experienced riders looking for a fast, powerful, lightweight wheel that can be easily carried and stored in small places. Battery fires are very rare with the MCM5 as it uses Panasonic GA 18650 cells, not the problematic LG 21700 900Wh packs found in larger Begode wheels. The shape of the MCM5, with its wide bottom and narrow top, makes it harder to control than the V8s.

The V8s has better waterproofing, so makes for a better everyday commuter.

The MCM5 has a more powerful 1500W motor compared to the 1000W of the V8s. For hills, the V8s may be sufficient if you weigh under 150 lbs. The MCM5 will carry a heavier person up the same hill. If you weigh over 200 lbs, I'd recommend a more powerful wheel than either of these.

The V8s is a fine choice for a beginner, but I'd recommend getting a used one or a used V8f or V8, because you'll probably desire more performance within a few months.

• Upvote 1

Let’s see, V8 or MCM5??  I think I will pick the Kingsong 16S. 

Seriously, you got good advice from the posts above. …. And I would probably get the 18XL.

1) 18XL

2) 16S 

3) V8 

4) MCM5 ( would be #2 but not for a beginner) 

• Upvote 1

The MCM5 is only a 14" wheel which makes it quite twitchy on the road compared to a 16" wheel. It's also a Gotway wheel (or Begode now) which I thought you didn't want but it is quite well made and doesn't suffer from any reliability issues. The V8F is fine wheel and very reliable but it has quite a small battery and therefore a smaller range. I think the 16S is a great wheel and would recommend it highly. The V10F offers similar performance and range to the 16S while being a little bit more comfortable with it's larger pedals. The 18XL is a great wheel but it's heavier than the others and might take a little more time to learn plus its more expensive however you wouldn't want to upgrade in a years time.

• Like 2

Ok thanks all, I'm considering the v8f, v8s and 16s, I'm 150 lbs so I think those wheels will be acceptable even in hilly areas for a beginner.

Between the v8s and 16s, which one is more waterproof and higher build quality?

I saw a video comparison between the v8 and 16s, it seems like the 16s dips the pedals when accelerating: 15:00 minute mark, also tiltback is very sudden on 16s compared to v8 which has smooth tiltback? Since this video is 2 years old does their opinions on the ride feel still apply? I think the tire width and battery size and maybe firmware are different now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaron_syd said:

Since this video is 2 years old does their opinions on the ride feel still apply?

I haven't ridden either wheel but firmware controls tiltback and I hope both KS and IM have updated their firmware to make tiltback 'more gentle'. KS modified it on the 16X (used to be quite sudden but now is gentle but unmistakable).

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I haven't ridden either wheel but firmware controls tiltback and I hope both KS and IM have updated their firmware to make tiltback 'more gentle'. KS modified it on the 16X (used to be quite sudden but now is gentle but unmistakable).

My 16S has old software and tiltback is quite abrupt but I got used to it. My 18XL is much more gentle. I assumed that the newer software for the 16S is more gentle. I don't know though. ... I need to update my 16S. 

Edited by RockyTop

I never had the pedals dip on my KS16S using the old firmware and the new. Personally, I thought the tilt back was pretty good on the 16S and could never understand why people mentioned this but then I tend to accelerate fairly smoothly so the response from the wheel was always smooth. The battery size of the 16S they are testing in the video is the smaller 420Wh rather than the full 840Wh. They tyre sizes haven't changed during it's production (I think). The old firmware on the 16S made the wheel whine a little - the new firmware is silent and it "feels" like it accelerates and brakes a little stronger (might be in my head though).  I've never ridden a V8 so I can't really compare it with the 16S. Both wheels are waterproof and well made. You always want to buy the largest battery you can for the wheel otherwise you'll just want to upgrade in 3 months time - that means you get either the 840Wh 16S or the V8F or V8S depending on price.

At the end of the day, you can go back and forth between the features of different wheels but it's always your heart that makes the final decision. When you look at the pictures/videos of each wheel - which one do you actually want? And there's your answer.

• Like 1

Okay thabks guys, 840wh on the 16s sounds like the way to go, also the side pads look bigger than the v8s so could be better control? If there's no noticeable pedal dip then I'm happy with that, also onewheel pint is known for it's extreme "pushback" so I think I can get used to the 16s tiltback.

Either way both 16 inch wheels seem perfect enough for a first lightweight wheel.

I am starting on an MCM5v2 and can say I was not a fan of the stock pads with the curve at top putting all the pressure on a new riders legs at two small surface areas. I swapped for Clarks Power Pads and after 30 minutes of practice holding on to a rail and some circles with one foot I am now able to confidently ride about 10mph on day 1. I cannot compare to other wheels but I have to say it feels perfect to learn on and being 200lbs I feel no strain going up the hills near me now. I am happy with my choice as the power and range will help me enjoy it and keep advancing my skills until the second round of S20's ship out. I feel like if I went with a less powerful wheel I would have wanted a second wheel sooner.

Some advice I found helpful was to treat it like the front tire on a bicycle and fluidly twist to keep balance at slow speeds rather than staying limp and having to step off.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm a new rider.  I started on a v8f and quickly outgrew it.  I then bought a v10f and a used KS 18L.  I feel I have outgrown the v10f already.  If I had to start over with one wheel I would definitely get the KS 18xl.   I now mostly ride a V11 and MSP

I am selling my v10f and 18L BTW if interested. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, wstuart said:

Hey I'm from SD too and interested in buying the v10f. Can you message me? I just created my profile and I guess I'll have to wait a while before I can message other folk. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, wstuart said:

I'm a new rider.  I started on a v8f and quickly outgrew it.  I then bought a v10f and a used KS 18L.  I feel I have outgrown the v10f already.  If I had to start over with one wheel I would definitely get the KS 18xl.   I now mostly ride a V11 and MSP

How much are you selling the 18L for?

I’m also a new rider and i also have pint.  I don’t have the v8f or mcm5 but I have somewhat related wheels: the inmotion V8 and the GotWay / Begode Tesla v2. I’ve been happy with both although I think v8 is more polished but ultimately I prefer the Tesla because of the power.

I understand you want to cruise at 30kmh, which is near the top speed of the V8f. based on your desire for speed, I would say V8f would not be enough for you.  I think you would be happier with a 2000w wheel like Tesla v2 (if you can find a used one) or v10F.