Questions about how an EUC works at basic level

Michael Viera

Hey!

If you lean forward on a floor, you can tip over. But on an EUC you can lean forward without this issue because the EUC adds a counterbalance with its speed? So you can "fall forward" without falling as you would if you did exactly the same on a floor? So you never have to worry about tipping over forwardly? (Ofc you can't just break the speed limit, and when the battery is low you have to be careful, etc., yeah)

I'm worried about knee issues, but I guess you can ride in a way where you don't bend your knees too much ... But that wouldn't make you lose control? Can you actually ride in a way where your body is held totally straight and go max speed?!

I want to use it as a courier by the way

• Like 3

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I can’t rec. riding straight legged. Some folks lean hard while accelerating, but it’s more of a balancing act over a front to back C.O.G. And a very delicate balancing act side to side. There’s a lengthy pinned thread here in the “learning to ride” section.

Best,

Edited by OldFartRides
Clarity/ grammar
  • Upvote 3

If you haven’t ridden it is hard to explain. When you say knee problems are you worried about muscle or bone. Keeping your knees straight is rough on the bones. Bending the knees works out the muscles. An older friend on mine has knee problems. Riding an EUC has improved his knees by building up muscles. Riding n EUC with straight knees can lead to crashes and usually not recommend. However you can get away with riding straight legged on the newer suspension wheels. They soak up the bumps. I use my S18 to get around a college campus. I am usually carrying quite a bit with me and it works great. After work I am more likely to ride my Sherman ( high speed, no suspension) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/14/2022 at 6:39 AM, Michael Viera said:

If you lean forward on a floor, you can tip over. But on an EUC you can lean forward without this issue because the EUC adds a counterbalance with its speed? ... So you never have to worry about tipping over forwardly?

You can lean forwards more than on a floor because an EUC will accelerate to balance you. Within reason, you don't have to worry about tipping over forward or backward if you don't exceed an EUC's ability to accelerate | decelerate in order to balance you. If you lean too much, called an overlean, then you will tip over and fall. 

Almost all EUCs allow you to set a lower speed limit, but few, if any, allow you to set lower limit warnings for current | power | ... , for more margin when leaning. I have a V8F, and tried using EUC Worlds peak current limit warning, but there's a random delay long enough to render it useless when accelerating: due to bad luck in timing, by the time you hear the warning beep, the actual peak current can be 40+% greater than what you set the limit to.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Upvote 1

It's because afaik squatting with your knees going beyond your toes is bad. And yeah, I have bad knee bone.

But I guess it can't be compared at all because the direction of the force goes straight down when squatting, but on EUC it points toward the pedals or something ... It's all about understanding vectors and apparently I can't grasp it xd

Yeah I can definetely see the reason to not keep them that straight that you cannot absorb 

• Like 1

So I ride 2 wheels, an 18xl with no power pads, and a Nikola AR+ with begode power pads. I always ride with my knees bent at least a little bit. On the 18xl I can accelerate all the way to 31mph without having to really squat down. Same with the Nik+, but I do need to squat down a little bit to go faster than 31mph. I wouldn't recommend perfectly straight, as any bump on the road would fling you off the wheel, but you can definitely ride without doing low squats.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Michael Viera said:

If you lean forward on a floor, you can tip over. But on an EUC you can lean forward without this issue because the EUC adds a counterbalance with its speed? So you can "fall forward" without falling as you would if you did exactly the same on a floor? So you never have to worry about tipping over forwardly? (Ofc you can't just break the speed limit, and when the battery is low you have to be careful, etc., yeah)

Yes, that's exactly how it works. A EUC always catches you when you are "falling".

Be aware that not only does the EUC catch you, it overshoots a bit, in order to "end the fall" and get you back to a neutral (balanced) position. Otherwise the self-balancing wouldn't work.

So you need to actively lean (actively "keep falling") if you want to keep accelerating or braking. The wheel tries to remove the lean (its tilt) after all. When you are going at a constant speed, you are in the neutral position (in balance), just standing there on the pedals, without any leaning.

3 hours ago, Michael Viera said:

I'm worried about knee issues, but I guess you can ride in a way where you don't bend your knees too much ... But that wouldn't make you lose control? Can you actually ride in a way where your body is held totally straight and go max speed?!

Riding with your knees totally straight is never a good idea. One surprise bump and it might hurt. But I believe you would naturally bend the knees a little anyways. Just like when you are standing on the ground, that is enough. You don't have to squat or anything on a EUC.

How you lean doesn't matter to the wheel, just that you lean. You can lean with or without bent knees, in any way your body allows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just don’t lock your knees.

I was told by a … “government fitness trainer” that no one should EVER stand with knees locked. He said that it was not only bad for the knees it made a person unprepared for movement. Alway“Stand Ready!!”  Keep in mind that he was a fitness trainer not a doctor. 

He also said something about my mother but I don’t believe him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Just don’t lock your knees.

I was told by a … “government fitness trainer” that no one should EVER stand with knees locked. He said that it was not only bad for the knees it made a person unprepared for movement. Alway“Stand Ready!!”  Keep in mind that he was a fitness trainer not a doctor. 

He also said something about my mother but I don’t believe him. 

I've also heard a few things about your mother on Xbox live, he might've been telling the truth

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Viera said:

Hey!

I want to use it as a courier by the way

I've fallen off the front and more often right off the back of my euc's. Usually its when I go from a tiny mten on up to a big one. Its not so much the wheel is overpwered, its that I am anticipating it getting under me with less lean input, than it does. Last time I fell off the back of my mten, flat on my back, as I went to transition and said those dreaded words  "see, its easy"....  splat. The euc will try to catch you, but if you lean too much and with the wrong body position, things dont always work out as expected.

Euc's MUST make the thighs and knees stronger. I went snowboarding the other day (it had been 12 yrs!), and I came back with sore hips and nothing else. Aside from the stairs in my house, euc riding and paramotor flying in the summer, I don't do a whole lot else. I attribute the success at the slopes, to the slight conditioning an euc affords.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
typos
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

The wheel tries to remove the lean (its tilt) after all. When you are going at a constant speed, you are in the neutral position (in balance), just standing there on the pedals, without any leaning.

The self-balancing is designed so that normally a rider can just focus on leaning forwards | backwards to accelerate | brake without having to think about pedal pressure inputs (pushing with toes or heels). Some EUCs will auto-lean the rider and auto-tilt forwards | backwards on an incline | decline, similar to a cruise control that tries to maintain speed on hills.

Edited by rcgldr

• 3 months later...

I'm just a noob (only had my wheel a couple of weeks so far) but besides the reasons already mentioned by others, I believe you need at least a slight bend in the knees because you often need to tilt the wheel and one way to do that is by straightening one leg and bending the other, which tilts the wheel toward the straightened leg.  This is one of the ways I turn.  If both knees are totally straight, then you will have one less method for tilting the wheel.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I wanna say much has happened since I wrote this thread.

I bought KingSong 16x and worked with food delivery which I'm done with now.

I did break a shoulder, sadly, but the problem was that I was multitasking (looking at Google Maps) whilst I was driving over an evil road bump of this type

pukkelbump-scaled.jpg

not in red colours, but in grey colours so it barely was noticeable ... but still ... the fault was that I didn't look at the road properly.

I drove without pads too which could perhaps have saved me or not, hmmm.

Otherwise, I want to say that once you go EUC, you don't go back. The flexibility of EUC's especially in urban settings is

just extreme and beats any other vehicle (in urban settings).

I noticed many people here are from the US, but I think they might be relatively more useful in the European urban settings because the urban settings in US

have this "grid structure" where it seems like offroading is a harder option.

The advantages of EUC are so many that this post can become very lengthy if I should fill them all ...

The way I enter roll staircases, enter an elevator when it is filled with people, the free hands to eat chips meanwhile, to open doors, etc., etc.

The way you can drive over a ditch like this (not a perfect example) by going down and up because there is not a rear wheel and front wheel that gets divided at the middle.

51207017_755621981487322_577571254752509

By the way, it didn't give me any issues with my knees. I have always had issues with pain in my legs after heavy lifting despite of warm ups.

But many of these issues went away after I started driving EUC because it improved my core stability.

A slight bend is necessary, yeah. I did, however, get some knee pain issues due to EUC driving in one week because

I was obsessed with squatting as much as I could to prevent air resistance.

But squatting for hours "in row"  was the issue (as I was working with food delivery), not the EUC driving.

So I stopped the squatting obviously.

Edited by Michael Viera
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1