Chicken strips? Lean angles?

Forwardnbak

Just coming from sports bikes I was considering lean angles. Pedal clearance makes leaning a little tougher. 

my BMW s1000rr shows active readout of lean angle on the dash.  I used to get about 43degree lean max on the road. This would be nice to look at via darkness bot after riding maybe for fun. 

people in bike forums would always measure diks over the tyre wear/chicken Strip of grip left on the tyre. 
Do EUC even lean hard enough to wear the sides of the tyre down? 

I’ve had a pedal scrape which to me was the equivalent of a knee down on a sports bike. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

Just coming from sports bikes I was considering lean angles. Pedal clearance makes leaning a little tougher. 

my BMW s1000rr shows active readout of lean angle on the dash.  I used to get about 43degree lean max on the road. This would be nice to look at via darkness bot after riding maybe for fun. 

people in bike forums would always measure diks over the tyre wear/chicken Strip of grip left on the tyre. 

I’ve had a pedal scrape which to me was the equivalent of a knee down on a sports bike. 

Don’t quote me on this but I think I saw that for some wheels (that report it) EUCWorld will log the lean angle into the .csv file. I bet @enaon would add it to the standalone watch if it exists! Not sure I want to be looking at my watch when leaning hard in a turn, but that’s just me.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Don’t quote me on this but I think I saw that for some wheels (that report it) EUCWorld will log the lean angle into the .csv file. I bet @enaon would add it to the standalone watch if it exists! Not sure I want to be looking at my watch when leaning hard in a turn, but that’s just me.

specialized feature, I can see the point, one may want to use it sometimes to check on his technique etc. I will add it to the todo .

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

I for one would never ride to the edge of my EUC tyre so I'm happy to be called a chicken :D

For one, most EUC's are fitted with crappy chinese tyres, virtually all of which have compromised asphalt tread patterns. Secondly, when traction gives way at full lean on an EUC, it will almost always be unrecoverable. On an MC your odds of avoiding a highside/lowside are far higher, despite how much of a butt puckering experience it may be.

There may be merit in running a dedicated Michelin Pilot sport or similar on an EUC in track conditions and trying to find the edge of the tyre, but this is also where a stack is much less likely to result in a nasty one. On the road, I dont fancy my chances on a vehicle where pretty much any loss of traction for any amount of time during a corner is going to end badly.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

On an EUC the pedal scrape or chicken strip are irrelevant because you can pivot on the spot at 1-5mph and scrape your pedals and tyres to your hearts content without too much effort. 

• Upvote 1

Looks fun to me!! I wish I had an EUC 30 years ago!! Back then things only hurt while I was doing them. Imagine the confusion I had when I started waking up the next day with pain from the previous day. :blink1:

• Like 2

probably varies from wheel to wheel, but you can check yourself: just tilt your euc and see if you scrape pedal first or get to the edge of the tire first.

I have not found a wheel that goes to the edge of the tire before the pedals scrape. For some rounded tires, the lean angle sensor will actually turn off the wheels power before you get to the edge of the tire. 

No chicken strips on mine. The very edges of my pirelli on the sherm, dont get used much, but i have used them. Well, techincally, theres maybe 1-2mm of virgin rubber, but thats also pretty deep into pedal grind territory.  I'd challenge anyone to have chicken strips on an mten, with its square tire. Fwiw, scaping pedals thru speed turns isnt that uncommon for mine. I have yet had one shut off from lean angle while at speed for some reason. If i cared about actual angle, I'd simply pull up the gopro footage from my front mounted camera and do some gyro math magic. It also includes g-force readings, location and speed. Combined with eucw csv, I have more stats to ignore than hours in the day. :efefb6a84e:

@yoos  I see some serious rider lean angle on a fairly straight wheel.  Maybe hes going so damn fast, ALL his weight that far over, still isnt enough to dive the wheel in the turn. Euc vs motorcycles, does favor the bikes, when it comes to counter steering to prompt a lean, and handlebars to keep you on it. Looks like he's using the grab handle to help. I've begun using the sherman grab bars a little, but I'd be lying if i said it didnt worry me about power limitations. I can attest that a 130lb guy on a 50mph sherman thru a sweeper, is a tough task, as the wheel really does want to right itself and not stay over.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

28 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

is a tough task, as the wheel really does want to right itself and not stay over.

I learned this the hard way going into a turn at high speed riding the Sherm. The thing went into a violent wobble that I was fortunate enough to recover from. Caught the whole thing on both 360 and drone. Looking over my ride footage, I'm still not sure what I did wrong so I'm glad @yoos posted that video for insight.

18 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

I learned this the hard way going into a turn at high speed riding the Sherm. The thing went into a violent wobble that I was fortunate enough to recover from. Caught the whole thing on both 360 and drone. Looking over my ride footage, I'm still not sure what I did wrong so I'm glad @yoos posted that video for insight.

Same here. FIrst 40+mph sweeper on the highway, I underestimated my speed badly and set up too late. I leaned for all I had and it was a total understeer issue. About the apex is when a minor wobble ensued. Didnt look like much on vid, but i about crap my pants. THATS when I began to realize we need set up turns a hair sooner than we would on a motorcycle. That, and the Sherman is a heavy tank of a wheel.:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Here is the footage of that mean wobble recovery.

Holy chit! Yeah, that will get the blood pumping! Did you have a chance to make sure the oncoming lane was cleared, before using it? Or was it merely something that HAD to be done and you just got lucky?

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Did you have a chance to make sure the oncoming lane was cleared, before using it? Or was it merely something that HAD to be done and you just got lucky?

If you notice in the slow-mo, I'm trying my hardest to stay in my lane, When I felt I was leaning too much, I looked up, saw the lane was clear and allowed the wheel to straighten it's self out taking me onto the on-coming lane. Crazy how fast the brain works when you life depends on it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

If you notice in the slow-mo, I'm trying my hardest to stay in my lane, When I felt I was leaning too much, I looked up, saw the lane was clear and allowed the wheel to straighten it's self out taking me onto the on-coming lane. Crazy how fast the brain works when you life depends on it. 

Isnt it fun how time slooooooooowwws down? Nothing like coming off the adrenaline rush of wfo and not being injured from it. My high speed turn wobble wasnt near as bad as yours. Yet it was still enough for me to slow my roll a bit and regroup my thoughts of exactly how good am I on this thing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1