EX.N Lean

I've had the EX.N for a couple of weeks.  There is a noticeable leftward lean when I am riding, especially at higher speeds (25-30 + mph), although the wheels goes straight. 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

I have intentionally put more weight on the right side to correct it and then the wheel wants to go that way. 

I am thinking that since the left is where two battery packs are, this is why there is a "tilt".  Anyway, I can see there is a little uneven wear on the tire, and it triggers my OCD.  Never had this with other wheels, but just wanted to get anyone elses experience.

Thanks!

I noticed this too, not sure why others dont seem to mind but it stuck out pretty obviously to me. It’s something one could get used to… but it’s also something that’s fixable. Here’s a post I made about it earlier but it’s buried in the exn thread. If you want to try it I’d recommend cracking open your wheel first and ensuring your model has the same empty space available as mine. 

On 10/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, Denny Paul said:

I did these two fixes to my exn. 

First one is adding a wet vac filter to stop dust ingress from the motor cable hole. Newer exns won’t have this issue

the second is to balance the weight of the battery pack. I disagree with some that say you can’t feel it. To me it noticeably turns easier one way, and it like will start accelerating backwards on level ground lol. So I went to a hardware store, to their diy section, found the thickest 3 foot steel bar I could find (I think 3/8”, maybe it was 5/16”), then asked a local locksmith to cut it down to 11” section. Rough cuts are ok (an angle grinder is what they used, all locksmiths have these). 3 of these bars was the right weight to balance the wheel front to back so it’ll stay out on level ground, which weighs about 5.5 pounds total. The placement of the bars means you can get away with adding less weight than the whole packs are.

now it’s close enough to perfectly balanced that I’m calling it done. Spent about 40 bucks in all. 

0D40B145-64FF-44C4-9D35-9DD8BB6F6BC7.jpeg

D58D9594-1D7B-405A-A08B-9D3B273F3047.jpeg

In the end, I liked my exn, but I didn’t love it. So I sold it, and I am now eagerly awaiting either the Sherman max, Abrams, or a higher torque monster pro that’s in that seems to be currently in development.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:17 AM, Denny Paul said:

I noticed this too, not sure why others dont seem to mind but it stuck out pretty obviously to me.

Maybe it depends on the riding position, feet at the same height or staggered and if staggered it depends on the strong foot I guess

I am goofy in other sports and ride staggered on wheel my right foot is advanced by one or two inches and is my acceleration foot when not leaning, same for my aero position at speed my body is turned slightly to the left so weight is more on the right if you know what I mean, I personally don't feel the left lean effect described

For OP best way for you with the extra space left on last batch is to add an additional after market 450WH pack same as the eucservice mss one

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

Maybe it depends on the riding position, feet at the same height or staggered and if staggered it depends on the strong foot I guess

I am goofy in other sports and ride staggered on wheel my right foot is advanced by one or two inches and is my acceleration foot when not leaning, same for my aero position at speed my body is turned slightly to the left so weight is more on the right if you know what I mean, I personally don't feel the left lean effect described

For OP best way for you with the extra space left on last batch is to add an additional after market 450WH pack same as the eucservice mss one

This^^ stance is everything… @ODST try the staggered stance, also keeping your right foot out a little further to the right of the pedal naturally keeping your center of gravity slight right with the proper body position. I personally haven’t noticed such issue while riding my exn. I ride staggered with my right foot pointing a bit to the right. (About 2’ o’clock) 

if your heart is set on “balancing” the shell use lead weights. (the kind you stick inside a rim to balance a car tire.) They are reasonably cheap at your local auto parts store and in the event of a crash won’t become a projectile that can pierce the shell. 

Edited by Mayhem

I've had the same issue, occasionally it would start leaning left while going straight at high speeds.  I changed the tire from the CST knobby to a Shinko 244 and it seemed to start doing it more to the right instead.  I'm on a Duro HF307 tire now and it seems to have much more stability, but I don't think I have enough miles on it to say that it fixed the problem.

The best way I've found to deal with it is to loosen up your stance and push your knees out more.  You can learn to ride with the lean to the point where it isn't even noticeable.  When it starts leaning left, I'll end up with my right knee out farther, hips off to the right of center, and generally up on my toes on my right foot.  Think about steering with your hips rather than by tilting the wheel with your feet.  If you try to keep your legs tight to the shell, that lean is gonna have you all crossed up with very little hope to recover gracefully.

A few things I did to improve the ride ability of the Ex.n.  Since the wheel is not balanced front to back so I added quite a bit of forward lean on calibration, about 4 degrees, this adjustment really helps with acceleration. 
I changed the tire to the 80/90 Michelin pilot 2, which really gave the wheel a more planted agile feel, you do feel the bumps more with a stiff tire, however it greatly improves the wheel.  I upgraded the pedals to the Begode honeycomb ones.
Maybe these improvements will help with you with your offset ride.

I noticed my msx seems to have a slightly skewed shell. Pay attention to how your wheels are aligned in relation to the shell. It could explain some things.

I also noticed that my pedals aren't perfectly aligned. Use an app on your phone and compare the pedal angles. In both planes. 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Denny Paul said:

In the end, I liked my exn, but I didn’t love it. So I sold it, and I am now eagerly awaiting either the Sherman max, Abrams, or a higher torque monster pro that’s in that seems to be currently in development.

Hey Denny! Not to derail your thread, but I noticed Commander was absent from your list of considerations. Not interested?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Hey Denny! Not to derail your thread, but I noticed Commander was absent from your list of considerations. Not interested?

I'd be open to it if I can find one used I suppose. But since it largely shares parts with gotway, I kind of know what to expect from it. Not that that's a bad thing, just not a new experience. And for $4000 dollars eesh... I think that kind of cost deserves more. Having had both an MSP HS and HT, the HT is a much more preferential ride experience with faster acceleration and braking, but the 38mph or less max mph felt limiting. The commander answers any issues regarding range, but from what I've gleaned the beeps still occur at the same speeds as my msp HT, and that's deflating. 

What I really want is a 22"+ wheel that has some punch too. I know that these tend to be mutually exclusive, but after getting used to my monster v3, I also know that there's some hidden magic in what appears to be a fairly minor step up in tire diameter. It grants you the stability of having a big wheel, along with a more natural and enjoyable cornering experience. The 20" wheels require constant pressure to maintain a turn. Even though I'm a confident rider, any small change mid corner will mess with my line and my feeling of smoothness. Kind of feel like I have to hold my breath. A 22"+ wheel doesn't constantly fight to upright itself; It feels like I push once to turn which sets my line, and its all very predictable and relaxed. Makes me want to hit more corners faster... but dammit I need some more grunt! 

Feel free to PM with any follow up questions. Don't want to derail the thread either. :)

• Like 1

My stance is probably part of the problem.  I ride with my left foot slightly forward.  However, I have been moving back the power pads on the left to try to compensate.  I also think the large begode pedals maybe are not for me.  I am so used to the MSP pedals I find the large begode pedals unnatural.  Probably gonna get some regular pedals and try them.

How are people installing a 450WH pack? And where are they getting them?  I like this idea, instead of just adding weights.  Might as well get something out of the added weight!