King Song 18XL vs InMotion V12?

Just wondering how these compare. I'm on an InMotion V10F now, still very pleased, but sometimes thinking about something with more battery. Not urgent though, especially with all these new wheels coming out. I've always had my eye on an King Song 18XL because I think it's a beautiful wheel, with more then 1.5x the battery of the V10F, which seem about the top limit of battery without going into very heavy/expensive wheels. (Not interested in Gotway, sorry). Everyone says the 18XL is a very reliable wheel, that the 18" tire is very stable. I like the look of the wheel and the trolley handle. 

I'm a bit curious that the King Song 18XL, in all European shops, is about the same price as an InMotion V12. On paper the InMotion has a slightly bigger battery, much higher top speed (which I don't really care about, I almost never hit the limits of my V10F, still a pretty new rider though, have been riding about 6 months). Extra features, like a screen, much newer design, stronger motor, etc. ... It does have an 16" tire. It's heavier though, and I already consider the 25kg of the King Song about the max of something portable. For me it's more of a commuting thing, but I would like to be able to go for longer distances or shorter once with less recharging.  I do have the feeling that even though the InMotion has the slightly bigger battery, people seem to be getting about the same or slightly less range then the King Song 18XL. Does this have to do with the fact that the motor of the V12 is more powerful and people are probably riding quicker and harder on the V12, even if they don't realize it? Does the 18" tire have an effect on range? 

Is the King Song 18XL overpriced? Is everything with that amount of battery just that expensive, doesn't matter how old the designs are?

And just for the sake of discussion, do people have thoughts about how these wheels compare? Thanks!

Mix between two ks16x xD

For long straight rides etc 18xl is awesome, but it isn't nimble at all. I got mine new for 1800$.

If you like more nimble wheel go with 16" tire? I was choosing between 18xl and 16x my self. I went with 18xl, because people said it's more reliable. + I didn't like the carry handle on 16x, it felt awkwards in hand.. 18xl had more rounded handle, 16x had square angled.. If you carry some distance daily it matters. Also it's more water protected..

I would go V12 if they have ~same price. My country V12 cost ~700$ more..

Edited by Funky

10 minutes ago, Felix said:

I also just made my choice between those 2 wheels and decided for 18XL, it arrived 2 days ago. I'm coming from Tesla V2 very similar wheel to your V10F. My deciding factors:

- 18XL is a proven wheel which had various updates and refinements over the years. After long searches on the internet its very hard to find anything negative like unforced cutouts, or other failures. V12 is too new for me, not yet proven itself.

- Tesla/V10/V12 is 16 inch, i want a cruiser now, not another 16 inch

- I don't care about the extra speed on the V12 - its probably better I never go near those speeds knowing myself

- I read V12 is a wobbly wheel esp when breaking, can be due to user error, but on KS18XL i never heard this. I'm scared of wobbles :) 

- Slightly narrower tire on 18XL is a positive for me. I don't enjoy wide tires for some reason (or am not used to them?) . I think narrow tires carve better.

- Water ingress- i read of a user who had bearing issues on V12 after a light rain. Could be just a one-off maybe, but 18XL seems to handle rain.

- Recent posts about cutouts on V12 made m pull the trigger on  18XL

Congrats. Let us know how you get along with it. Are they still selling with the big black plates?

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Congrats. Let us know how you get along with it. Are they still selling with the big black plates?

Yes seller said it comes with large footpedals. Funny thing is i haven't even unboxed it yet, I only just came back from holiday :)  

• Like 1

KS18XL is very reliable.

Over 17k km, not one single problem.

Have only had to change one tube, and still original tyre.

Long range, over 100km with normal riding speeds, can go on five hour continuous rides.

Robust shell too.

Good choice, have fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Felix said:

- I read V12 is a wobbly wheel esp when breaking, can be due to user error, but on KS18XL i never heard this. I'm scared of wobbles :) 

- I don't care about the extra speed on the V12 - its probably better I never go near those speeds knowing myself

I have had wobbles at breaking.. But it's mostly my inexperience for sure. Some times the wheel even start wobbling at 25kmh (15mph). xD

I also don't need more speed than 35kmh (22mph). The 50kmh (31mph) safety margin helps. <3

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Felix said:

I also just made my choice between those 2 wheels and decided for 18XL, it arrived 2 days ago.

Hi, Felix, I saw you are from The Netherlands. Can I ask you where you bought it? There's not a lot of shops in Europe that seem to have it in stock. (I'm from Belgium)

BTW thanks for responding everyone, it seems like there is almost unanimous love for the 18XL in all areas that I care for. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't help myself and just ordered the 18XL at eunicycles.eu as well. :clap3:

I hope to get it before the weekend, but that's probably too optimistic. Probably start of next week. These things are way too addicting (I started the thread with a 'I'm thinking of maybe upgrading one day - kind of vibe and... here we are). Very curious to see how the ride will be, on an 18" wheel, to have that trolley handle and the extended battery range. Thanks again for all comments. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidderke said:

I couldn't help myself and just ordered the 18XL at eunicycles.eu as well. :clap3:

I hope to get it before the weekend, but that's probably too optimistic. Probably start of next week. These things are way too addicting (I started the thread with a 'I'm thinking of maybe upgrading one day - kind of vibe and... here we are). Very curious to see how the ride will be, on an 18" wheel, to have that trolley handle and the extended battery range. Thanks again for all comments. 

I highly recommend getting also hextech pedals. <3 So easy to open/close, and nothing sticks to them like mud/snow. (Sandpaper original pedals.)

Or you could simply remove sandpaper from original pedals and make them studded. By using screws.. Way better grip.

Edited by Funky

5 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

... or just leave the pedals the way they are ;)

Meh, for me the sandpaper where coming off after second ride.. Maybe had bad glue? + Didn't like how sand and all dirt sticks to it.. But that's personal preference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidderke said:

The 18XL is still a fine and relevant wheel in my newbie opinion. I think it will be for a few more years. It all depends on what you want or like in a wheel.

Wrong Way just put out a video for an 18L unboxing. If that means anything or not, I do not know. But he rides them all and is still having another look.

Funny thing; I just went in the reverse direction from yourself. I am now testing a V10F to see if it will be a good portable wheel for me. Hopefully I can retire this Spring, and wanted a wheel to effortlessly toss in the car without a 2nd thought and use it to explore areas that I would drive to. I can do this with the 18XL also, but in some ways that would be overkill, depending on the destination.

I became aware, after I ordered it, that some later batch V10F wheels are experiencing V12-like cutouts. Rather than do that test, I prefer to ride it in a controlled manner around my house and see how it does as I test in on bumps that I would normally expect to ride over. I have ridden it twice with no issues. A few more times and I think I would be comfortable taking it somewhere.

The V10F feels like a down-sized 18XL to me. I think the 18XL should feel like an up-sized V10F to you! :efef3d5527:  

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

The V10F feels like a down-sized 18XL to me. I think the 18XL should feel like an up-sized V10F to you! :efef3d5527:  

Yes, I think they cater to the same audience. You want reliability, a comfortable commuter wheel... I've been very happy with my V10F, which was my first wheel. It's just a combination of it now being in a repair (it acted funny after riding in a rain storm, which is weird because I never had issues before), always liking the design of the 18XL, *really* wanting the more battery, and being curious for the feeling of the 18" wheel and the trolley handle. But a lot of people say the V10F rides a bit like an 18" wheel, and to be honest, there are no real weak spots that I can mention about it. I think the XL will be better in a lot of areas, but as you said: as an up-sized version of the V10F!

I saw Wrong Way's video, and I thought the same thing :-) 

18 hours ago, sidderke said:

Congrats, lets keep in touch as we are both getting used to this wheel. I in Den Haag, when it gets warmer i was planning to ride more in Belgium since its allowed down there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Felix said:

Congrats, lets keep in touch as we are both getting used to this wheel. I in Den Haag, when it gets warmer i was planning to ride more in Belgium since its allowed down there.

Yes, I have a friend nearby who now received a V12 as well. He also comes from a V10F. And indeed, in Belgium they are allowed (officially at 25km/h)