Ex.n bricked after firmware update

Anyone know what to do?! This wheel makes me want to rip my hair out.

the screen doesn’t work and the standoffs on the shell side snap off with no effort. 

spending $200 to ship back a week old wheel and have them fix it. Truly I just want a refund, My msx hasn’t had a single issue. 

oh, and gotway forgot to put pedal magnets in them. Seriously?!

i was very happy with ewheels, until they said $200 shipping. 

im seriously freaking out a bit here. This SUCKS

• Confused 1

Though I understand your frustration, you get more bees with honey instead of vinegar.

Anyway, if the wheel is truly bricked and won’t turn on or communicate through Bluetooth, afaik your only option is a board swap. It’s doable if you’re the diy type and the board they send you is the same version that’s in there now. If you want to skip some shipping costs this may be the way to go. If you don’t feel inclined to do it then send it back to eWheels.

Just for a second, imagine if that wasn’t an option and you bought it directly overseas; you’d have a $3k doorstop on your hands and no great options to fix it. Not saying $200 is nothing, but it’s good that you can have an expert troubleshoot with you, look at it for you, or send you the parts you need. It could be worse.

• Like 2

I am surprised by this too.  If I bought something from a store and it quit working within a week I would not expect repair parts to be mailed to me.  I would not try to fix it myself.  Is this the standard warranty practice?

Edited by Paradox

5 hours ago, Paradox said:

I am surprised by this too.  If I bought something from a store and it quit working within a week I would not expect repair parts to be mailed to me.  I would not try to fix it myself.  Is this the standard warranty practice?

Unfortunately that’s standard in the PEV industry. Too expensive to be shipping these heavy things back and forth for a 30minute job. Luckily ewheels usually has a comprehensive video you can watch and go along with to do the repair. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@EMAi can teach you how to brick your gotway/ begode wheel during firmware update if you really want it :lol: 

@Breadsticks i'm really surprise that ewheels doesn't teach you how to unbrick it but instead charging you $200 for shipping it back to them. Its super easy, basically its the same procedure that you would normally do to lock the wheel 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 2:31 AM, yuweng said:

@EMAi can teach you how to brick your gotway/ begode wheel during firmware update if you really want it :lol: 

@Breadsticks i'm really surprise that ewheels doesn't teach you how to unbrick it but instead charging you $200 for shipping it back to them. Its super easy, basically its the same procedure that you would normally do to lock the wheel 

Please share the details. I was thinking of doing a firmware update and am curious how people are bricking their wheels.

• Upvote 1

@yuweng so the unbricking process you describe makes the wheel boot on the built-in firmware instead of the flashed one?

It reminds me of the 16X which also boots a very old early firmware if flashing failed. It does so automatically however, you don't need to do anything special.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 1:57 PM, Paradox said:

Yes, most dealers have it clearly spelled out in their warranty agreement. It only covers defective parts in the drive train (motor, board batteries) and you need to pay for shipping the wheel back to the company.

They usually make an exception if its dead on arrival

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, Breadsticks said:

You’re welcome. What difference did you notice???

There is less pedal dip and the ride feels a lot more confidence inspiring. I had already had issues cutting out from a start and this tune is more predictable to avoid overpowering the wheel.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, yuweng said:

Don't worry, no one can brick their begode during firmware update unless they force it, i'm on a limited data plan at that time using home wifi for updating & it bricks :w00t2:

Bricking Procedure

1. Switch off mobile data, switch on wifi, bluetooth, location if you're on Android & connect to your home/ office wifi
  2. Connect begode app, login, go to firmware update & it will display latest firmware but when you click at update, it will start but won't fully update & the whole wheel shuts down
  3. Repeat above process, quickly toggle off/ on wifi or bluetooth ( can't recall exactly ) the firmware update will proceed to wipe the whole firmware & bricks the wheel
  4. After this there is no response from power button, doesn't balance, completely dead, the light might be on but you can't switch it off. Congratulations you have brick your wheel B)

UnBrick Procedure

1. Unplug & plug in back the power. Your wheel should be off now.
  2. Press the power button, don't let go, press the lift cutoff button 5 times, the buzzer should sound & the red on board LED should slowly flicker now
  3. Switch on your mobile data, connect & clicking at begode app firmware update, it should update to 100%, power up your wheel & it should be back a life ! :lol:

Tips : Did few experiment, i have to continuously pressing the lift cutoff button for more than 5 times then only the buzzer will sound. If it doesn't work, just off/ on power & try again.

a friend of mine bricked his exn, he's tring to bring the wheel back to life without success :)

1 hour ago, Freestyler said:

Any update on this? Was the wheel beeping when powered on?

still nothing, he will receive a new board

official procedure to reset the board here : 

Alright, I only asked because I "bricked" my wheel by entering the firmware update mode and the wheel constantly beeps until a new firmware is flashed.

Even if you poweroff the wheel and power it on again, it stays in this mode. (not even the lights come on)

I have found a way to bring it out of the firmware update mode, so I don't have to reflash a firmware all over again, but maybe your friend has another problem.

• Like 1