Utter Noob considering what to buy.

Imperator

Hello. I'll have the money for a new EU in 3 weeks; it'll be my first. I live in the UK so I've boiled down the choice to either an Airwheel Q3 or an IPS 132 from WheelGo. It's one of these because I'd like to buy from a company based here that can do repairs and provide support nearby. Theairwheel.com and Wheelgo.com satisfy these requirements.

There are plenty of reviews and information about the airwheel products around the net and on YouTube, but very little about the IPS 132. Judging from the specs the IPS seems to be a higher performance machine, and I'm leaning towards it.

As this is the only place that seems to have actual users of this particular wheel, I was wondering if one of you would be so kind as to give me a detailed review or even make a video of it in action for me?

How does it compare to airwheel models? How does it perform off-road? How safe is it to use in wet weather? How hardy is it, and will it take a bit of abuse from falling off? Can it go up the lower part of curbs ok? Is it easy to maintain? Also I've heard conflicting reports about its range... One user here said they only get 9 miles out of it but on Wheelgo.com it's stated as being much higher? What's the battery longevity like?

Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth have a look at speedy feet.uk or speak to Ian Sampson ref a ninebot one elite,a good number of vids if it going off road,no issues using it in the wet,as a noob even I can go up/down smaller curbs no issues,and they have excellent customer service even with discount on future purchases,feel free to pm me for any more info

Cheers

Between the two wheels you have mentioned I would go for the IPS.  You might want to look at the specs from the official manufacturers websites as some of the specs listed on WheelGo are wildly different.

IPS - http://en.iamips.com/products.html

AirWheel - http://www.theairwheel.com/airwheel/

Q3 might sound good in regards to balancing when learning because of the 2 wheels but once you become pro rider you may find that its harder to turn tightly and weaving between people on the side walk will be harder.  Although if you are stuck behind a group of pedestrians you can possibly drop down to walking speed and happily stay balanced at really slow speeds.

Shell Clarence is another thing to consider.  The IPS has a more exposed wheel meaning tackling curbs and level differences will be easier.  The Q3 has a low ground clearance which is good for keeping your clothes clean if you run over a puddle but you might end up smashing the shell if a curb you try to go over is higher than its clearance.  With my IPS T260 it is quite low too if you see my profile pic to the left.  I often have to jump off my unit and walk it up a curb if I feel it is a bit too high for me to bump my way up.

For range I usually minus 5km or 3 miles from what is officially stated on manufacturers website to get idea of real world use vs range.

Thank you both. The IPS probably would suit me better.

And you're right Chuts about the stats. The closest in both look and specs appears to be the 131 but that one has a much bigger battery. I'll email WheelGo with that link and report what they have to say about that.

The IPS is a great machine that is very stable when you do a little off roading. The 16" wheel helps you to roll over lumps and bumps more easily and Jason gives absolutely great after sales service.

The range is good but all the Chinese sites quote unrealistic ranges that may only be possible with a sub 60Kg person travelling exceedingly slowly on a level surface.

Being 95Kg myself and living on a steep hill I find that 12miles or so is about all I can get if I want to ride back up the hill to my home. I'm sure it could take me another 5 or 6 miles on the flat but low batteries don't climb hills.

There are many problems with 2 wheel eucs. The weight, crossing side slopes and one wheel hitting a bump or lump before the other on uneven surfaces making them feel very unstable. Plus of course the reduced manoeuvrability that has already been mentioned.

I weigh the same Gimlet and there are a few inclines around here. So that's probably around what I'll get too then. Thanks. 12 miles is actually quite a bit really. From my house to town is about 3 miles and that's probably as far out as I'm likely to go so it'll probably do me just fine.

I agree about Jason providing good service. He's been responding to my emails very quickly and seems like a great guy who believes in his product.

He hasn't responded to my email about the above link yet though, but he's probably trying to get hold of the manufacturer to see if there has been some miscommunication about specs on their end or something. If not it doesn't matter, I think I've pretty much made up my mind now. I'll be getting it on the 15th. Can't wait!

My wife used to commute everyday when she taught at Park school in Swindon. I think it became Oakfields and then closed altogether. But she moved schools about 30 years ago.

Hi Imperator, 

Once you've mastered the one Wheel Unicycle, something like the Q3 just doesn't make any sense,the additional weight (the 340Wh Q3 is actually 14.8kg not 13kg as TheAirWheel claim), reduced mobility for maneuvering around crowds, reduced power, etc. 

Archived