Inmotion V12 High Torque edition

Mango

Chooch blames initial cutout on himself for "incorrect tire pressure". Interesting to hear him attribute failure to his own riding/setup. 

Are we still allowed to post his videos on here? Will take it down if its not. 

Regardless of the person and the commentary, the footage of the V12 HT going off-road is pretty wicked. 

On 7/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, JMX said:

I was getting wobbles on acceleration when I first got the wheel - Angle forward on the pedals really helped me (+2)

This was spot on. I tried +1 and this really was the game changer. On the wobbles, but also, and above all, on the ability to accelerate easily. I was frustrated on this side and was about to consider power pads. Balancing a little bit forward completely changed the wheel reactivity on this side and changed frustration into joy.

Thanks !

Edited by Jeph
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeph said:

This was spot on. I tried +1 and this really was the game changer. On the wobbles, but also, and above all, on the ability to accelerate easily. I was frustrated on this side and was about to consider power pads. Balancing a little bit forward completely changed the wheel reactivity on this side and changed frustration into joy.

Thanks !

totally agree ! - good stuff
(it likely moves the center of gravity forward a bit rather than directly over the main axle which would help with stability)

Edited by JMX

18 hours ago, Jeph said:

Why shouldn't we ?

Oh, just remembered that he has questionable ethics about his treatment of his video content and he pissed off a moderator or two. Could just be just the electric unicycle forum Facebook group side. 

But anyway, getting back to topic, how's the beefy tyre holding up? Looks fantastic for mixed road/off-road commutes. 

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose no news is good news... but

Anyone having issues with their v12 HT?

Anyone notice better braking/acceleration in everyday street riding?

Has anyone sent it down some sweet stairs, or up even?

floors open to brag, gripe, speak highly of, or completely condemn the wheel. I'm all ears! Seriously considering buying one new very soon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have opened this topic about fast charging the Inmotion V12 HT. I don't know if there is any difference from the V12 HS. I would like to have more opinions on this topic: Connector safety, wiring, boards, bms...
Users with experience in fast charging the Inmotion V12.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:21 PM, Denny Paul said:

Seriously considering buying one new very soon. 

Same, I've had a tab open to the store page for several days now... Just waiting for the time to feel right I guess.

FWIW I asked Eric from eWheels about the board failures and he said that they received no reports of board failures from the previous batch with the updated boards.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:21 AM, Denny Paul said:

Anyone having issues with their v12 HT

No not really. Not at all in fact, just a tiny ennoying thing. I am not that an experienced rider (2250 km with a V5F and 170 km with the V12 HT), but still I really enjoy the V12 HT. It is great for almost everything. The tyre is very good, I have experienced tracking just once but on a tiled curb, I shouldn't have been there. I feel the wheel a little bit floating when riding on a thin layer of tiny gravels, and I am not always confident while turning at low speed but overall the tyre saved me more than once absorbing nasty potholes I didn't see fast enough.

The wheel is really stable between 15 and 35 km/h and I feel very confident downhill. Above that speed I cannot say, I've been riding it once briefly at 40 km/h and it was still very stable, but I am not confident enough to push it further.

No the only issue I have is that my trolley handle cannot remain locked in closed position, something broke in the mechanism, or is damaged, not sure what happened (the wheel rolled over once or twice before that but at low speed).

According to me, with my experience, the wheel shines the most on the road, the woods, while off roading on dirt tracks, and is really good to absorb hills with its torque, but is not really comfortable and pleasant offroad when there are a lot of rocks, where it can be trapped sometimes with difficulties to restart because of its weight, even with its torque.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, techyiam said:

I think you are quite right on both points. Inmotion got so much right (at least damn close to it, if you compare it to Gotway), yet they manage to screw up on the driver board, firmware, firmware update, and pedal attachment hardware. IMO, they also made a bad choice in the phase wire connectors on the mainboard. 

And for the latter, the V13, they are going to have work for it. Unfortunately, the trend they have recently established with the V11, V12, and V12 HT, doesn't bold well for the V13. Why isn't the V12 HT a slam dunk? And yet the Begode's 134V system is looking fine so far (that was from scratch for the 24 mosfet electronic commutation / inverter). It boggles the mind.

Lurking. Learning that Service & Support is vital on EUC.  

What brand name should I consider for least failures , ease of maintenance, and reliability?  Thanks for considering the question. 

(I have mtn biking & off road motorcycling background and willing to do minor wrenching) 

1 hour ago, flailer said:

Lurking. Learning that Service & Support is vital on EUC.  

What brand name should I consider for least failures , ease of maintenance, and reliability?  Thanks for considering the question. 

(I have mtn biking & off road motorcycling background and willing to do minor wrenching) 

Assuming you are not buying a first batch, and has at least waited for some owners reports that don't indicate issues, for a first wheel, I would bet on Inmotion, and Leaper Kim (Veteran) if you don't mind big and heavy first wheel.

If you are looking for a first wheel now that are not too heavy, I would consider an Inmotion V11 (59.5 lbs). V11Y is still some time off since you still need to wait for owners feedback. The V12 is also a popular wheel (64 lbs). The V12 is considered a wheel that will fair well in the rain.

Generally, from owners feedback, the Patton (89.3 lbs) and Sherman S (96 lbs) are considered reliable wheels. Eevees rates Veterans wheels to be the brand requiring the least servicing, overall.

The only thing is that the V11, V12, Patton, and Sherman S, are generally not considered to be wheels easy to work on. In fact, techs consider the V11 to be one of the more difficult wheel to work on. Consensus seems to point to wheels like S22/Pro (77 lbs), and Begode suspension wheels to be among the easier wheels to do repairs and maintain.

The V14 should be a easier Inmotion wheel to maintain but it is too new, and it weighs 86 lbs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Assuming you are not buying a first batch, and has at least waited for some owners reports that don't indicate issues, for a first wheel, I would bet on Inmotion, and Leaper Kim (Veteran) if you don't mind big and heavy first wheel.

If you are looking for a first wheel now that are not too heavy, I would consider an Inmotion V11 (59.5 lbs). V11Y is still some time off since you still need to wait for owners feedback. The V12 is also a popular wheel (64 lbs). The V12 is considered a wheel that will fair well in the rain.

Generally, from owners feedback, the Patton (89.3 lbs) and Sherman S (96 lbs) are considered reliable wheels. Eevees rates Veterans wheels to be the brand requiring the least servicing, overall.

The only thing is that the V11, V12, Patton, and Sherman S, are generally not considered to be wheels easy to work on. In fact, techs consider the V11 to be one of the more difficult wheel to work on. Consensus seems to point to wheels like S22/Pro (77 lbs), and Begode suspension wheels to be among the easier wheels to do repairs and maintain.

The V14 should be a easier Inmotion wheel to maintain but it is too new, and it weighs 86 lbs. 

Thanks!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 3:57 PM, techyiam said:

In fact, techs consider the V11 to be one of the more difficult wheel to work on.

I would differentiate a personal opinion from a fact.
I do provide services to local friends of all manufacturers, I own a V11 and I find V11 not at all the most difficult. I would not mention what I find the worst because I do respect rider's decision when choosing their vehicle. We all have different needs. But there are plenty of other EUC models that when disassembled, something gets broken, or a  pad/sponge that its adhesive has to be replaced afterwards, or a cover has to be damaged in order to access a bolt or replace because it is just glued to the shell, or a plastic panel clip brakes because it is not designed for periodic service etc. There are plenty of issues I found on other EUCs (recent models) that on V11 are simply not present.

I guess this impression arose from early videos of a well known youtuber claiming it had "too many screws" for his standard.
Until V11 most EUCs were not much more than just a motor, a battery and controller encased between two plastic shells. When the first V11 appeared, it took more time to disassemble compared to other models because it had a totally new design for an EUC. But now it is just like most unicycles. They are getting closer to a motorcycle standard. Nothing that a simple tray for ice cubes cannot help sorting out. :efee8319ab:

Said that, I totally agree that V14 looks easier to service. :D

Edited by GPSchile
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same about V12HT. It does look complex but we are talking about just screws. I use an ice cube tray and the process is very simple. The tray has two rows, so I leave one for each side. :D
What I do recommend to add to our V13 series but specially the V12 series, is a heat-shrink tube on the section of the cables that come out of the motor "shaft".
I have noticed with some friends that service themselves their vehicles, that they damage the cover of the cables when pulling the motor out of the vehicle (or when putting it back in). There are some sharp areas that if the cables slide against them, their insulation cover can get damaged.
I like a heat-shrink tube that has thermal glue inside and a 4:1 ratio. The cables get really well protected with it.

This is how it is from factory:
image.png.1989d425a1f69083d422220e31196490.png 

Then this is the tube I put on every V12 that I receive:
image.png.29746f303a0cce54914b346ee68bb6bb.png

The tube is very thick once it shrinks.
image.png.8a74fc07fb0be32885c9cbb5bbc695db.png

I make it long enough to cover most of the lateral section of the vehicle.
image.png.074b53276d5cc37c730f50110d904aa5.png

Do you think it may serve to somebody if I make a Youtube channel with issues like this? I have not willing to do it due to the negativity I see on social media. So many just looking for any negative issue they can criticize. For me EUCs are a source of pleasure not a reason to be combative. I share this with local friends but perhaps it may help others, or perhaps it has no purpose. :D 

• Like 2

another detail about V12 series, is this pair of metal plates on the top. Due to the way they are manufactured, they have a side with soft edges and the other with sharp edges. Despite it does look better the soft edges facing up, I recommend to flip them and install the soft edges side facing down to prevent any sharp edge against the the electric cable. 

image.png.dd0fc579a8f40f69db3a2f3cd4a76404.png

About the screws on the pedal blocks, I recommend to install them by hand a couple of turns before applying force with a tool. To be sure they are in the correct position. I have found cases where the owner just put force and damage the thread.

Its hub (rim) is very strong. But sometimes the inner tube can get damaged if accelerating too aggressively, while having too low pressure. The tire can slide and damage the valve of the inner tube. I soften the edges of the hole with a dremel, for the valve and this seems to prevent this issue a lot. Also, Inmotion produced a newer version of the inner tube with a more lateral valve, with a better fit to the rim's hole.
image.png.013d03979ad7ff3bbc5d912e09dcc0b5.png  

and as a final recommendation, it is very unlikely that water may reach because the site is behind several layers. But I feel safer by applying a layer of liquid tape (paste of vinyl) over the power connector section. This is the original view:
image.png.1258f8ac290fdc18efea631ea9d6274a.png 

and this is how I cover the upper area of the connector site. 
image.png.8c1db9cf83e6880930fc575640d19f4a.png

I agree... it does not look pretty. But do not worry. This material is made for electric insulation and it is not like silicone or PU adhesives. This stuff is very easy to remove by hand when doing services. It does not increase in difficulties at all. But it may prevent that when in parked position, water that could have entered, glide by the cables reaching the connector pins, creating a drama. Every bit invested in prevention represents a lot of what we could be spending in repairs.

All EUCs have issues that can be improved. And V12HT has very few and easy to tackle. I like a lot its plethora of features and easy to maintain.
Its CORDIAL tire is awesome and works very well at low pressure. I wish all EUCs have the AVAS feature of V12 series (soundwave).  It does help with bikers and other :efee8319ab:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GPSchile said:

another detail about V12 series, is this pair of metal plates on the top. Due to the way they are manufactured, they have a side with soft edges and the other with sharp edges. Despite it does look better the soft edges facing up, I recommend to flip them and install the soft edges side facing down to prevent any sharp edge against the the electric cable. 

Personally, I would file down the sharp edges to round them out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Personally, I would file down the sharp edges to round them out.

but some are on plastic pieces that may get compromised if doing that. And the metal plates have nothing delicate facing up. So just flipping them is enough and feasible by any user. For sure there are always "another way". I prefer the simple solutions that everybody can implement. :efee8319ab:

Edited by GPSchile

29 minutes ago, GPSchile said:

but some are on plastic pieces that may get compromise if doing that. And the metal plates have nothing delicate facing up. So just flipping them is enough and feasible by any user. For sure there are always "another way". I prefer the simple solutions that everybody can implement. :efee8319ab:

I thought we were talking about the two metal pieces at the top holding down the wires.

Edited by techyiam